Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do we need conspiracy theories? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I think it's worthwhile to be sceptical of what government and media doles out as 'truth', but the important thing is to stick to the evidence and only believe as far as the evidence permits.

There certainly are conspiracies (US government implicated in the assassination of Martin Luther King, the MK ULTRA programme abducting homeless people and torturing them for research, the Joint Chiefs signing off on a black flag attack against their own country to gain public support for a war with Cuba, etc.) - but there are a lot more false theories than true ones.
    That is right, but, it depends heavily on where you get your evidence from.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by NHM713)
    That is right, but, it depends heavily on where you get your evidence from.
    Well, obviously you don't want to be listening to the Alex Jones Radio Show.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you considering yourself as one of rational thought...whatever that may be; How do you know that they are "insane and utterly pointless."

Also are you speaking about the Illuminati?
    I'm speaking about all conspiracies.

People seek out patterns and rationality. People want to have something to blame.

People are afraid of the notion that there is no pattern, that there is no-one to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    The problem with some conspiracies is that they present arguments that "make sense", but there simply is no evidence to substantiate those claims. The 9/11 conspiracy, for instance, isn't as completely insane as a lot of people make out but the mistake that people who believe in it make is that they're mistaking convenience for evidence. I don't think it's totally unfair to dismiss people who believe in these things as deranged crackpots because in theory there could be some evidence to some of them but to accept them as truth really is nonsense because there simply isn't any evidence.
    >deranged crackpots

But they are. Literally everyone I have ever corresponded who believes for example, the 9/11 conspiracy, is either some loser neo-Nazi or some loser Islamic extremist, every time it's "Mossad runs the West". None of them are ever successful, well educated or anything to be admired. To me, the common factor in every single person who hold such beliefs is social alienation, they lack any sense of personal greatness or empowerment and rather than doing any real work to change that, they would rather convince themselves they behold some sort of secret truth everyone else is too ignorant to accept.

You mock, humiliate and ridicule them, not to change their minds, but so everyone else can see what morons they are.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    >deranged crackpots

But they are. Literally everyone I have ever corresponded who believes for example, the 9/11 conspiracy, is either some loser neo-Nazi or some loser Islamic extremist, every time it's "Mossad runs the West". None of them are ever successful, well educated or anything to be admired. To me, the common factor in every single person who hold such beliefs is social alienation, they lack any sense of personal greatness or empowerment and rather than doing any real work to change that, they would rather convince themselves they behold some sort of secret truth everyone else is too ignorant to accept.

You mock, humiliate and ridicule them, not to change their minds, but so everyone else can see what morons they are.
    Taking the piss out of someone doesn't make others realise that what they're thinking is wrong. As I've already said, most people ridicule conspiracy theorists for the totally wrong reasons so the ridiculers are definitely not the ones in the right...

ReputationRep:
    Taking the piss out of someone doesn't make others realise that what they're thinking is wrong. As I've already said, most people ridicule conspiracy theorists for the totally wrong reasons so the ridiculers are definitely not the ones in the right...
    You don't understand, you don't ridicule them to change their minds or because your mocking actually forms a coherent argument, you ridicule them because it creates a social narrative that people who believe in conspiracy theories look like this

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19884...ppened_p2.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Well, obviously you don't want to be listening to the Alex Jones Radio Show.
    You say that...

It's mostly his voice I object to.

ReputationRep:
    You don't understand, you don't ridicule them to change their minds or because your mocking actually forms a coherent argument, you ridicule them because it creates a social narrative that people who believe in conspiracy theories look like this
    How is that right?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    How is that in the slightest bit constructive or helpful for anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think that the people who flat out deny the possibility of any conspiracies occurring are just as naive as the conspiracy junkies themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander01)
    Tbh I think that the people who flat out deny the possibility of any conspiracies occurring are just as naive as the conspiracy junkies themselves.
    I second this.

ReputationRep:
    How is that in the slightest bit constructive or helpful for anyone?

How is that right?
    It's good for society.

Take racism for example, if someone makes a racist comment you the standard reponse on TSR for example is "dey terk urr jerbz" it creates the narrative that racists are not just racist but stupid, unsuccessful and generally the opposite of what a person should aspire to be.

Muslims do it too. With the Islamic Ray Guns joke, it presents the average person who opposes Islam and a drunkard who can barely string a sentence together.

Edit: NHM713, just saw your thread on the biggest threat to world peace, that is exactly what I am talking about
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's good for society.

Take racism for example, if someone makes a racist comment you the standard reponse on TSR for example is "dey terk urr jerbz" it creates the narrative that racists are not just racist but stupid, unsuccessful and generally the opposite of what a person should aspire to be.

Muslims do it too. With the Islamic Ray Guns joke, it presents the average person who opposes Islam and a drunkard who can barely string a sentence together.
    It might be funny (and it was Muslamic Ray Guns, that's the whole point, they used a word that doesn't exist) but I don't think it's particularly helpful. These people have problems. In that video, that guy is obviously of a pretty low intelligence. Mocking him isn't going to change anything, it's just going to piss them off and make the situation a whole lot worse.

ReputationRep:
    It might be funny (and it was Muslamic Ray Guns, that's the whole point, they used a word that doesn't exist) but I don't think it's particularly helpful. These people have problems. In that video, that guy is obviously of a pretty low intelligence. Mocking him isn't going to change anything, it's just going to piss them off and make the situation a whole lot worse.

Actually got it the wrong way around, that is amusing

It's a PR strategy. One Muslim claiming that Islam is non-violent and providing and Islamic argument supporting this is going to be pretty ineffective, nobody in their busy life will listen to that, but a joke which also says either you can be clever and smug and not oppose Islam or you can be a total moron like this shell-suit wearing EDL member, is very effective.

ReputationRep:
    It's good for society.

Edit: NHM713, just saw your thread on the biggest threat to world peace, that is exactly what I am talking about
    So it's done, to make others dismiss the subject matter and automatically switch off. That's not fair.

ReputationRep:
    :-D

ReputationRep:
    Of course we do, how else are we going to fight the lizard people behind the Rothschild's plans for a New World Order?

ReputationRep:
    so deep I burrowed my way through to the centre of the earth with it and got all the way back to my anus
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    so deep I burrowed my way through to the centre of the earth with it and got all the way back to my anus
    That's quite a feat - Uranus is pretty far away.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.