Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do if you're son was gay? watch

Announcements

i would give them all the love respect and support i would give to any of my children. i would treat them no differently and would encourage them to be open.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't change anything, because I'm not a judgemental bigot. Of course I'd be supportive.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing different than any other child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Can't say I'd be too pleased
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    i'd probably think ffs i wanted grandchildren but then get on with life anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemac)
    Why not?
    Because I wouldn't connect with him and I'd want him to follow masculin ideals.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have him diagnosed with 'same sex attraction disorder' and make him goto rehab.

Just kidding, but if he wanted to go Id happy pay for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Gay = non-masculine? News to me. I sense hints of misogyny in your posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD8897)
    i'd probably think ffs i wanted grandchildren but then get on with life anyway
    gay people can have kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Sexuality has nothing to do with masculinity/femininity. Well, unless one is insecure and a sheep, but those latter things are far than being homosexual.

To answer the OP I wouldn't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeetingman)
    Just a random thought that came into my head.
    In this situation...I really don't know what I would do to be honest. Maybe i'd act a little shocked at first but then i'll respect him for his decision as long as he lives a good life.
    Pretty sure you can't choose your sexual orientation like how you choose what you want to buy in a shop.

But yeah, it wouldn't bother me. I'd probably be a bit more concerned about if he's being bullied at school etc though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I wouldn't react at all, I couldn't give a toss :J When the "birds and bees" talk comes up I'd probably say "some people like their own gender, maybe you will too, it makes no difference."
    Do you have kids?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have a care in the world. I would want my son to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serpentine111)
    Pretty sure you can't choose your sexual orientation like how you choose what you want to buy in a shop.

But yeah, it wouldn't bother me. I'd probably be a bit more concerned about if he's being bullied at school etc though.
    This really.

ReputationRep:
    When he told me we talked about it - a wide-ranging discussion including what type of boys he fancied. It's never been a big issue.

ReputationRep:
    I would have to discuss this with him to understand it more but I would be very upset.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say -- cool, bro. I would actually be quite glad. I've never had any gay person in my family so that would be some nice change.
    Plus, gay boys are usually very good looking.
    If he became a famous YouTuber, it'd be even better.

ReputationRep:
    The same as if my son was straight.

Not gonna lie I'd kind of be excited about the idea of a fabulously camp son-in-law (stereotypical I know, but literally ALL my gay friends have been the fabulously camp kind!), but in all seriousness, the only thing I'd do is make an effort to make sure he knew whether he was gay or straight was immaterial. I would hope, though, that in 15 or 20 years when I (hopefully) have a teenage child, it will already be the case that whether you're straight or gay is immaterial and I won't need to reassure him of that.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same thing as if my son was straight.

Treat them like a human being

ReputationRep:
    I don't care whether my child is straight or gay. And being gay is not a "decision", fyi.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.