Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in the countryside (lake district) and went to uni in a city but I think the country side. I do like a less crowded place, the pubs tend to be less busy and more homely and do a good range of real ales. I'm really not into shopping which is one of the big things about the city, we have supermarkets, cinemas etc just not within walking distance. The public transport is crap but I drive and have my own car so that doesn't really affect me.

I don't have big wild nights out every week any more so on the occasion that i want to go get hammered I just pop back to see my uni friends. Also I like to run/cycle which is just so boring in the city. I found I had to run for a good 3 or 4 miles though dull boring housing estates just before I got to somewhere with even the slightest bit of greenery. Where I live I have to go quarter of a mile north east south or west before it feels like i'm no where near civilisation.

That said I didn't dislike living in the city, it was quite enjoyable and I would live there again but I prefer the countryside. The one biggy that the city has is a load more jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Quite lucky I suppose. I live in a small urban area. Pretty decent transport links; Glasgow/Edinburgh and London around 2.5 hours away via rail. Live right by a Site of Special Scientific interest, with two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty a stones throw away as well. And with two National Parks less than an hour away. I sometimes take it for granted, and don't spend near enough as much time as I could in these wonderful places.

I enjoy the countryside, and if I could afford it would love living there. But I do need some of the comforts a city provides once and a while.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly prefer the countryside to busy suburban areas, although if I had the choice I'd spend my early life in a big city to gain a good career, then when I was super rich and successful I'd buy a cottage in north Wales or whatever. That's the idealised version anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I was born and raised in London, now I no longer live in the UK, and I'm in a sizeable town, but in the future I'd rather live in the countryside. London is the best place when you're younger but now I'm getting older, my interests have changed... I like running and cycling in the countryside with my dog. I love nature. I'd love a house on a big bit of land in the mountains to hike, run, climb and cycle in.

:daydreaming: :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Again, I would disagree, I find the countryside really gossipy! Old people popping round like 'ooh did you hear about Margery???' 'scandal'

Not surprised you don't get on well in cities with that kind of attitude! I don't think working class cities see flaunting wealth as a positive, you can tell you're experience is mainly from the South (don't judge every city by London, London is weird)
    Country life is nothing like the archers. In my village everyone gets on well we have barn dancers, we all help each other out. We also do motocross, greenlaning, shooting life isn't boring. I can tell any young person who lives in the country now and thinks it's boring they will miss it when they leave.
    City folk are only thinking of themselves scared to look out of place wearing ridiculous fashion, showering everyday, unable to use a screwdriver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kodlak)
    Country life is nothing like the archers. In my village everyone gets on well we have barn dancers, we all help each other out. We also do motocross, greenlaning, shooting life isn't boring. I can tell any young person who lives in the country now and thinks it's boring they will miss it when they leave.
    City folk are only thinking of themselves scared to look out of place wearing ridiculous fashion, showering everyday, unable to use a screwdriver.
    You try to debunk stereotypes of the countryside, and then give a load of cliched city stereotypes. Good job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    You try to debunk stereotypes of the countryside, and then give a load of cliched city stereotypes. Good job.
    but mine are true

ReputationRep:
    I always enjoy visiting the country, but I definitely wouldn't swap it for living in a city. There're more things to do and opportunities since you're part of such a big community. It really depends what kind of place it is, since I'm sure some villages are more isolating then others.

I like the contrast of spending time in the countryside (particularly when hiking and camping), just to get away from the hectic city life though.

ReputationRep:
    The countryside for short stays but to live definitely the city, just so much more access to everything.

ReputationRep:
    i sadly live in the city but I would love to live in teh countryside. Not too far away from a town though. I really fell in love with an area whilst on the DofE bronze expedition and I would just love to live somewhere like that
    I'm a cyclist so quite roads = amazing !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kodlak)
    My boyfriend grew up in the country and wouldn't go back if you paid him, he hates it mention shooting and he'd probably vomit on you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    While I like the countryside, I think I'd have to go with a city - I love all the hustle and bustle everywhere.

This is quite a generalisation of people in the country don't you think? Most old people don't drive 4x4s, not everyone is white and most of the farmers (at least around here) most certainly are not tory. Or grumpy. People in the cities tend to be a lot grumpier than people in the country anyways.
    Maybe it's just in Yorkshire but it is genuineley not a generalisation of the people that live in mt bfs village. 4x4s driven by old white people everywhere, and my friends mum is a Tory councillor there and is a farmer. Like you couldn't make this **** up if you tried.

ReputationRep:
    I find the idea of living in small village where everyone knows each other horrifying.

Living in suburbia 30mins from a city and 30 min from the countryside for some mountain biking is the best.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived long enough in small village surrounded by cows and pigs and would instead choose big city

ReputationRep:
    I live in a village, and I do kinda like it here. It's much more peaceful and we have the bare necessities a village needs as well as more (we have like 2 indian restaurants + fish and chips + kebab shop + like 4 pubs which is pretty cool in itself) and it's like a 15 min from the nearest town.

So I guess I like rural but not too rural? Being like 40 minutes from nearest town would suck haha
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I grew up in a city, and then spent time living in another city, and I choose the countryside. The place I live in now has about 1600 people living in it (though quite spread out) and I love it. I can walk outside in the dark without fear that someone will hurt me. Parcels can be left on the doorstep without anyone nicking them. I'm surrounded by hills, woods and little streams. Instead of lots of cars all day, and sirens in the night, I hear birdsong and sheep during the day, and owls at night.

There are downsides. The nearest market and supermarkets are several miles away. Buses run every half hour, and in the evening it's only once an hour. The nearest A & E is more than half an hour away by car, and as I don't have a car, it would be a pain to get to if I needed it.

There are more upsides than downsides, though. I wouldn't want to move back to the city, even if in some respects it would be more convenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Maybe it's just in Yorkshire but it is genuineley not a generalisation of the people that live in mt bfs village. 4x4s driven by old white people everywhere, and my friends mum is a Tory councillor there and is a farmer. Like you couldn't make this **** up if you tried.
    This village is in Yorkshire? Where abouts?

The farmers I know tend to lean towards Conservative but only because of how they are perceived to be the party of the Countryside and don't like Labour. Labour got the hunting ban through and I don't think they trust labour with other things like shooting. They tend to be pretty anti-politics from what I see. Not sure why, but I think it could be a mix of tribal voting and strong anti-politics sentiment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    This village is in Yorkshire? Where abouts?

The farmers I know tend to lean towards Conservative but only because of how they are perceived to be the party of the Countryside and don't like Labour. Labour got the hunting ban through and I don't think they trust labour with other things like shooting. They tend to be pretty anti-politics from what I see. Not sure why, but I think it could be a mix of tribal voting and strong anti-politics sentiment.
    Hoylandswaine - between Barnsley and Sheffield.

Most of the people round there hate foxhunting though. Just saw it as posh outsiders causing a nuisance in the village.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from holidays I've never lived outside Milton Keynes, so I can't give much first hand information. But well, luckily I now live right on the edge of the city, so if I want to see the countryside I just need to put my shoes on and go for a walk or climb a hill.

Based on the statistics alone though, I'd say I'd prefer to live in a town/city.

ReputationRep:
    Countryside all the way. I have no desire what so ever of moving to a city of even a town.

I see no benefits of living in the city. There is so little space and everyone is in a rush to go everywhere. Why would anyone even want to be a part of that I do not know.

I like the sort of rural where you are within walking distance of the pub and you can still go shooting without the neighbors calling the police (it can be a real issue).

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.