Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PimpsNChuds)
    Wtf? 10 A grades is still pretty amazing compared to what most people get. Of course it's not out of reach. I'm at a Russell Group uni and I got fewer As than that.

I think Russell Group universities are only likely to shun you if you got mainly Cs/Ds or worse at GCSE, but even then it's all about your final A-Level results. If they reject you on the basis of having poor GCSEs (which you don't) and you end up with brilliant A-Levels, take a gap-year and re-apply. It's not worth going to a crap uni under the new fees imo. And if you're capable of getting 10 As at GCSE then that's a sign you're probably Russell Group material.

Also it's worth noting that some Russell Group universities/courses are far less competitive than others. With most courses, the focus is actually just on the A-Levels (AAB or sometimes less, plus a decent-enough personal statement obviously - just endlessly redraft it before submitting) which is perfectly doable if you put your mind to it and do your work. However with some courses (at certain universities) there's basically no point in even bothering unless you went to a private/grammar/'top' state school (our education system is a disgrace). Tbf I'm not the sharpest tool in the box and I wouldn't stand a chance of being where I am had I applied for something as competitive as law/medicine, or somewhere like Oxbridge. If I can do it you can.
    Thank-you for reply, your post has really reassured me and motivated me, thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I got BBC during my AS grades and I have offers from two russell group unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    I got BBC during my AS grades and I have offers from two russell group unis
    Congratulations, what are you studying? If you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIOCH3M)
    Congratulations, what are you studying? If you don't mind me asking.
    Biotechnology. Applied for Surrey, Cardiff, Leeds, Aberdeen and York and I have offers from all except York (they have yet to reply).

What I was trying to say is that even if your GCSEs are a little lacklustre, if my BBC can convince unis of my worth, then you definitely can with AABB. There's much more to your application than just your grades, including how competitive your course is and your personal statement.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Unless he had extenuating circumstances and predicted grades of AAA/AAB I kinda doubt that. And unless you're applying for med/vet/dent, they don't really look outside of grades, at most, having a good PS and standing out will only make a difference when you miss an offer by a lot (2-3 grades by a good margin) and they have to decide if it's worth admitting you despite that.
    Oh actually, thinking about it, he did have extenuating circumstances. His mother passed away lol

ReputationRep:
    With 3 A grades plus a fourth subject you can apply pretty much anywhere, even some Oxbridge courses if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incubator)
    Only one of your chosen Uni's' is an RG though... Your 'BBC' is what the average candidate applying for those Uni's, typically has.
    What are you talking about? leeds, york and Cardiff are all RG unis and they average at AAB/ABB, for science courses at least
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I get far worse than you and got offers from UCL and Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I get far worse than you and got offers from UCL and Durham.
    For what subject?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For what subject?
    Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology.
    That's great! What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's great! What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
    GCSE 6A 3B 2C

A-level A*A*A*a*a

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for a RG university with AABBC Scottish Highers 1st sitting. I was wondering what this converts to in English grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GCSE 6A 3B 2C

A-level A*A*A*a*a
    Holy crap,

So you took 5 AS levels, following 3 through to A2 to get 3A*?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Holy crap,

So you took 5 AS levels, following 3 through to A2 to get 3A*?
    4 AS and and EPQ, 3 full A-level

ReputationRep:
    4 AS and and EPQ, 3 full A-level
    WOW, what subjects did you get your grades in. I am actually quite shocked... 3 A*!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    WOW, what subjects did you get your grades in. I am actually quite shocked... 3 A*!
    Psych, Sociology, philosophy and ethics

ReputationRep:
    Psych, Sociology, philosophy and ethics
    One last question, sorry to bombard you with questions! My sister is taking philosophy and ethics, what technique did you use to get an an A* as she is struggling. Also were you on OCR? :-)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One last question, sorry to bombard you with questions! My sister is taking philosophy and ethics, what technique did you use to get an an A* as she is struggling. Also were you on OCR? :-)
    I did OCR.

Defining terms is important and so is being critical of every point you make.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.