Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did PE at school put you off sport and working out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hated it. The PE teachers had no imagination.

We never got taught anything, never taught how to bowl properly or high jump properly or take hurdles properly or how to pace ones self.

And cold water showers in unheated changing rooms with wet floors were the final insult.

We did play volleyball 2 or 3 times which I enjoyed because I'm tall.

But slogging about in mud and rain kicking a sodden leather football was the usual fare.

ReputationRep:
    I hated PE lessons. To echo a lot of the comments, I was not very competitive and always seemed to be competing against the typically sporty girls from the hockey and netball teams!

I always got bad reports for PE, but i can't recall ever getting any kind of guidance or support from a teacher. They were always preoccupied with the people that played for the teams.

I do think it kept me relatively fit though. I only started gaining weight after year 11 and I wonder if stoping or played a part.

I still don't really like team sports, but I love running and cycling. However it took me about 7 years I find out because PE put me off exercising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hated middle school PE class and would refuse to do it half the time. I loved being on the hockey team in year 7-9 though High school PE was fun, we'd mainly play dodgeball or crazy things like unihoc. I think a big part of it was the teachers and classmates. My 10/11 class got on great and we had awesome teachers. I actually picked up more sports/martial arts as I went through school... so no, I don't think it put me off any

ReputationRep:
    I loved it! Well, mostly. Except when were outside when it was literally freezing cold. That was just a pain. But when it was summer, we'd be doing athletics which was always fun or I was doing another sport messing about with friends.

I still do it now at sixth form

ReputationRep:
    PE was great.

To the people whining that their teacher didn't like them... of course a teacher is going to prefer and put more effort in with the kids who are interested and actually participate properly.

ReputationRep:
    PE sucked

I tried to be enthusiastic, I honestly did, but I wasn't very good so the teachers still didn't care.

I never felt very comfortable in the uniform and always made a fool of my self.

And in year 8 my class had an odd number and I didn't have any close friends in my class so I spent the entire year having no partner, I'd have to go with the teacher or join others and make a very awkward three. This was so upsetting for my self esteem in an already very hard time at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    PE was great.

To the people whining that their teacher didn't like them... of course a teacher is going to prefer and put more effort in with the kids who are interested and actually participate properly.
    In no other subject would they get away with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Yes, it did. Because the teacher was only interested in the sporty girls, and the sporty girls were all show-off, bullying cows. Therefore, PE was never all that much fun for the fat kid, lol.
    I liked PE but your comment is so true
    When I did climbing in PE my teacher new I had been in the GB Climbing team and would always use me for example say things like "If your more competent like [me] the feel free to use your own technique"

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I always hated PE as I was a shy little kid who didn't really throw myself into things. The teachers all thought I was an absolute failure physically...

However I've always played sport outside school that we didn't do in school...the year stopped taking pe I got to national level and got really into fitness to supplement this. Lost a ton of weight, put on some muscle & was asked to be a fitness model (turned it down).

Few years later I'm playing sport internationally and got a job in the fitness industry. Whereas the pe teachers are all still overweight, unfit and having fun shouting at kids. System needs to be changed.

ReputationRep:
    never mind P.E. i absolutely HATED school itself!

Being bullied at school really set me back for some years - i was disgusted even with the suggestion by my parents that i "learn" something up until i was 22 - when i went to night school, then Uni (even then, all the way though Uni , i think i spoke to one person (once)!

all the P.E. teachers where like the ones in Gregory`s Girl - complete d**cks!

PE was crap, much like most things run by the government. Dont know if it would be any better in private schools. Anyway they should cater for people who are bullied by providing them with solo workouts rather than just contact sports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    I'm thinking at the moment how much PE put me off sports at school and working out in general. PE probably put me off exercise and demotivated me to actually do something for a long long time. All PE brings memory of is failure, football outside in the cold, cold gym halls, lots and lots of bulling from the school 'jocks'. The teams always were unfair too. It was always popular kids and kids good at PE vs the fatties, geeks, nerds and other outcasts. The problem looking at now was most times the guys who need help are kicked to the kerb and it's only the kids who are good at sports who are given attention. We were also always playing football! It was only in my twenties that I started slowly getting into actually working out and taking part in sports. Now I'm in the gym all the time to change my life.

Did PE destroy sports and working out for anyone else? I think if PE lessons were better I might be in better shape at the moment.
    Haha, so true.

ReputationRep:
    We were all forced to do cross country at the beginning of year 7, twice in the space of two days.

We also had torrential rain, and yep, we were all out in shorts, where the teacher had his great big coat on. I was actually thankful that in years 9 and 10, I was allowed to miss PE from injury.

Year 11 was the best - we were allowed to pick our activities, and I'd picked going to the gym all year.

As of now, I love running and going to the gym

ReputationRep:
    no I'm just lazy

ReputationRep:
    Hated it!

It wasn't so much the content but coming from a hot country teachers need to wake up and realise that britain doesnt have the climate for outdoor sports most of the year round!!

Having to play anything in rain and close to 0 temperatures is ridiculous - and the teachers always had coats/scarves/hats/gloves yet we HAD to wear the PE uniform which was flimsy shorts and a tshirt.

ReputationRep:
    I used to dread PE at both primary school and high school. Even though I ended up on the netball team, I still didn't seem to get much enjoyment out of it.
    I think the teaching is not imaginative enough. I found myself having to do things that I really wasn't comfortable with, such as gymnastics and having to throw myself over a metal pole nearly flying head first into a hard mat underneath me.

I much prefer organising my own exercise now. I can do things that I'm comfortable with, and I don't have to worry about anybody else trying to compete with me all the time. I hope PE has changed since I left high school!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mind PE too much I hated rugby but by year 9 I could choose what I did and in year 10 we had games in the afternoon and were allowed out on our own if we wanted to do some kind of sport somewhere else like in Wokingham or Reading and of course they would check we actually did it so I went swimming at my local pool at school the kids tryed to drown me they never checked
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    PE used to be my favourite subject at school. I was an active young'un anyway so it was all fun and games to me. Used to love running around to get warm when it was cold outside.

ReputationRep:
    Well i always got exercise from walking but i never minded PE that much. I disliked a lot of the team sports and athletics because they were rubbish but i always liked the 1 on 1 sports, tennis is actually my favourate sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohohogreengiant)
    Yeah I always hated PE as I was a shy little kid who didn't really throw myself into things. The teachers all thought I was an absolute failure physically...

However I've always played sport outside school that we didn't do in school...the year stopped taking pe I got to national level and got really into fitness to supplement this. Lost a ton of weight, put on some muscle & was asked to be a fitness model (turned it down).

Few years later I'm playing sport internationally and got a job in the fitness industry. Whereas the pe teachers are all still overweight, unfit and having fun shouting at kids. System needs to be changed.
    Yea I was very quiet and shy but i liked pe i just didnt stand out in the team sports with being quiet. When it cane to picking options i chose pe and all the teachers said no as they predicted id get an E grade for it. I was advised to do geography instead which i hated but was predicted a C. I ended up taking both (i did the fast track pe at lunch times) and came out with a B in Pe and D in geography lol. I know b isnt amazing or anything but it just shows the system is flawed. They were supposed to be options yet i was told what to do!

Out of interest whats the average age for fitness modelling? Do you get many older middle aged women or is it mainly young.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.