Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Thank you both so much. A gap year wouldn't be the end of the world. If it came to it, I'd probably do AmeriCamp and try to get a job in the Natural History Museum or some other museum, as well as doing volunteering etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Word to the wise - this is way harder than you might think! I've looked into it a few times, and apparently they're all overwhelmed with would-be volunteers.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AdamY)
    Word to the wise - this is way harder than you might think! I've looked into it a few times, and apparently they're all overwhelmed with would-be volunteers.
    I bet it is really hard to get a volunteering position there! How cool would it be, though? :cool:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AdamY)
    (Original post by TheStudent18)
    I bet it is really hard to get a volunteering position there! How cool would it be, though? :cool:
    I know, but it's worth a shot! Hopefully I will get work experience there as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I know, but it's worth a shot! Hopefully I will get work experience there as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope you do get a placement there, but don't be disheartened if you don't. See if smaller museums will take you on also.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks. I know I would apply to The Queen's College! It's so nice! Do you go to Oxford?
    I thought you were more keen on Cambridge?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I thought you were more keen on Cambridge?
    I honestly don't think I will get the UMS. I'll be lucky to get three As! And Oxford looks better to me, as there is more of a focus on Egyptology whereas at Cambridge it's HSPS. Saying that, though, Liverpool looks amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I honestly don't think I will get the UMS. I'll be lucky to get three As! And Oxford looks better to me, as there is more of a focus on Egyptology whereas at Cambridge it's HSPS. Saying that, though, Liverpool looks amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As others have said, you'll probably have a good shot at all of them at your current rate so I think 3 universities is fine. There's not an awful lot of point in putting in "token universities" that you're not intending to go to anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Keep an eye on http://www.museumsassociation.org/fi...b_closing_date for museums/archives that might be recruiting. MA don't allow unpaid internships to advertise with them.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PQ)
    Keep an eye on http://www.museumsassociation.org/fi...b_closing_date for museums/archives that might be recruiting. MA don't allow unpaid internships to advertise with them.
    Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to do Computing at Sheffield Hallam? Not seen anyone yet that has
    Let me know!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I know I would apply to The Queen's College! It's so nice! Do you go to Oxford?
    I'm alumni actually - I formerly studied the part-time, two-year Foundation Certificate in History at the Dept. for Continuing Education. This meant I was a member of the university but a non-matriculated student for two years, so I was not entitled to college membership but I had full run of all of the Faculty libraries, the Bodleian and the right to join student societies. As some had warned me about, cue the cascade of snobbery from many of the full-time Oxonians I met (some perceived sense that Cont. Ed. was a kind of 'back door' to getting in, or whatever), but by-and-large students based at colleges that I got to know were very nice about it and, as one would expect, were staggeringly capable intellectually.

Queen's is an awesome college. Would you have a second choice (though thinking about it perhaps picking two colleges is only for postgraduate-level applications)?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to two universities. Only wanted to go to one of them. I've firmed that one.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I applied to two universities. Only wanted to go to one of them. I've firmed that one.
    What course and what universities?

ReputationRep:
    What course and what universities?
    Chemical Engineering at Bath (rejected from Cambridge)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Chemical Engineering at Bath (rejected from Cambridge)
    Ah. Oh well, Bath's a really nice place! Are you looking forward to going there?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SebCross)
    I'm alumni actually - I formerly studied the part-time, two-year Foundation Certificate in History at the Dept. for Continuing Education. This meant I was a member of the university but a non-matriculated student for two years, so I was not entitled to college membership but I had full run of all of the Faculty libraries, the Bodleian and the right to join student societies. As some had warned me about, cue the cascade of snobbery from many of the full-time Oxonians I met (some perceived sense that Cont. Ed. was a kind of 'back door' to getting in, or whatever), but by-and-large students based at colleges that I got to know were very nice about it and, as one would expect, were staggeringly capable intellectually.

Queen's is an awesome college. Would you have a second choice (though thinking about it perhaps picking two colleges is only for postgraduate-level applications)?
    I've never heard of that! How did that come about? And gosh, I haven't really thought about that . . . Maybe St. John's or University College . . . I used to want to go to Christ Church because it looked nice and because bits of Harry Potter were filmed there . . .

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of that! How did that come about? And gosh, I haven't really thought about that . . . Maybe St. John's or University College . . . I used to want to go to Christ Church because it looked nice and because bits of Harry Potter were filmed there . . .
    Why not aim for Christ Church? Great college.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the Department for Continuing Education's remit was or what kind of courses they offered, but once I did some research the foundation course seemed a really really brilliant fit. And so it was I start my new politics unit with the Open University shortly so that's gonna be exciting, too.

ReputationRep:
    PM me if you want to chat in more detail?

ReputationRep:
    I know! And thanks! My GCSE grades worry me. I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B (Drama) in my GCSEs but I think this was under average for my school. However, I hadn't told my school about the fact that I have Asperger's (and possible ADHD as well but I haven't bothered to get a diagnosis) so I didn't receive support for this. I told them after my GCSEs and am now entitled to a laptop and rest breaks, which are both really helpful. Am I being too unrealistic for Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should definitely mention aspergers and ADHD as they are legitimate conditions and may help you with contextual offers. You have done brilliantly so far in spite of these issues, but they probably have an impact. It's good to let the universities know that you may need extra support too, academically or emotionally. Good luck ☺️
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by louisewestlake)
    You should definitely mention aspergers and ADHD as they are legitimate conditions and may help you with contextual offers. You have done brilliantly so far in spite of these issues, but they probably have an impact. It's good to let the universities know that you may need extra support too, academically or emotionally. Good luck ☺️
    Thanks. I'm going to a UCAS day next month so I will have lots of questions prepared! Should I try and get a diagnosis for ADD/ADHD?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.