Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Econometrics)
    Fair enough, but I don't believe in the concept personally.
    Well thats your opinion and I can understand why you think that though, you have no evidence to prove otherwise

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, otherwise, the term "soul mate" will never have been conceptualized. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryJRussell)
    you have no evidence to prove otherwise
    Yes, but neither do you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The common phase that I think you mean is "out of body". But no, I haven't.
    Everyone is a grammar nazi on this site, plus I type too fast and I don't reread myself, my mistake. Well I would highly suggest that you look into "out of body experience", I feel like you would enjoy learning about it and trying to experience it yourself

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but neither do you.
    How can I prove objectively something which is subjective?

ReputationRep:
    Well as the titles says, are soul mates real?

I ask all that reads this because I feel like I incomplete, my life feels like a very big game of hide and seek because I feel like my whole purpose in life is to find my "other half", the half which completes me as edgy as that sounds.

I know others might feel the same way, I think its to do with humans being social beings but is there anyone else here who feels like they are playing the game?
    I've been out with several ladies, and yet there is one of them, I never asked her out, I just had a crush on her, and yet, 3 months ago, it was she who got in touch with me, after 8 long years, and now we're dating. Coincidence? SOUL MATES ARE REAL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allison.EG)
    Yeah, otherwise, the term "soul mate" will never have been conceptualized. :rolleyes:
    Haha short and simple, I like it. See thats a valid point

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is a grammar nazi on this site, plus I type too fast and I don't reread myself, my mistake. Well I would highly suggest that you look into "out of body experience", I feel like you would enjoy learning about it and trying to experience it yourself
    Thanks for the patronising attempt at suggesting I don't know what they are...I'm well aware of the concept. Don't remotely believe in them myself.

The mind is capable of all sorts of picturing and imagining, doesn't make any of it real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spandy)
    I've been out with several ladies, and yet there is one of them, I never asked her out, I just had a crush on her, and yet, 3 months ago, it was she who got in touch with me, after 8 long years, and now we're dating. Coincidence? SOUL MATES ARE REAL
    I like your enthusiasm, however 8 years is a long time to wait, how long have you been with this lady?

ReputationRep:
    How can I prove objectively something which is subjective?
    Because you said "Souls are very real, I can say that with certainty".

ReputationRep:
    Out-of-body experience? Put the LSD away.

ReputationRep:
    No one meets The One because there is no such thing. As in, there is not only one single person who we are perfectly compatible with. Out of the billions of people out there, there are people that we are beautifully compatible with. There is no chemical way you'll find someone perfect for you, there will always be some fault. Love can be strong and still die, and there's nothing humans can do about it.

You fall in love many times in your life, what makes love true is when that person loves you back equally and you have few enough faults for the love to last.

If soul mates were real, what a sad existence we would live in, never knowing if our soul-mate were near or on the opposite side of the world. Far better to carve out your own love without leaving it to fate.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the patronising attempt at suggesting I don't know what they are...I'm well aware of the concept. Don't remotely believe in them myself.

The mind is capable of all sorts of picturing and imagining, doesn't make any of it real.
    I wasn't trying to patronise you, you seem very hostile because I hold different opinions to yourself, the mind is capable of a lot of things, for example lucid dreaming however if you was to lucid dream on a daily basis you would come to notice you become lucid very easy while dreaming, however out of body experiences and Astral projections are something completely different. You are not in your body so you are not restricted to the constraints of the human mind.

ReputationRep:
    I like your enthusiasm, however 8 years is a long time to wait, how long have you been with this lady?
    A couple of months, but I won't lie, I had often thought of her prior to that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Econometrics)
    Out-of-body experience? Put the LSD away.
    No LSD involved

ReputationRep:
    however out of body experiences and Astral projections are something completely different. You are not in your body so you are not restricted to the constraints of the human mind.
    No. They're not.

It's fine if you believe something, but don't expect anyone else to when there's no reason to.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    I can't prove it to you nor do I need to, if you want the answers you need to look inside yourself, however I just want to point out that all we are is the universe subjectively experiencing itself.
    If one attempts to look inside himself the mere act of ripping himself open to have a look would mean he'd die within 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    • Soulmate
      a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner.

What does 'ideally suited' mean? Does it mean that they have no fights, they understand each other perfectly and can spend their whole lives together because they never get tired of one another?
    Noooooooo...

I was convinced I found a soulmate in a friend from my school. At first we just played xbox together, then we couldn't imagine another evening apart from each other... And suddenly we just lied on a couch holding hands and talking about our families and favourite colours and childhood and stuff. And we loved spending time together soooo much. But then I started falling behind with school work, I couldn't get my mind off of this boy... He suddenly just stopped talking to me.

Now I think we COULD get on just fine. We could be really good friends. We could be in a relationship, if only he wasn't in another relationship -- with his computer. He never does any school work. He's always sitting in front of a computer, playing some stupid MMORPG. I hate seeing him in ICT classroom, just staring at the screen. I wonder how such a wonderful person can turn in such a brainless creature.

I think we would be ideally suited if only he wasn't addicted to computer games. So soul mates are real... but you need to work your way to it.

If you find a 'soulmate' it's both bad and good for you. You will feel great sometimes and have relief when talking to them. But if things go wrong, it will absorb all of your time and you will feel worse than ever...

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever had an outer body experience? Or perhaps a lucid dream? What about an astral projection?

Souls are very real, I can say that with certainty however soul mates is something I would like to get more opinions about so I can have a greater understanding of what people on this forum are like, from the first 2 replies I'm starting to feel like everyone here is an militant atheist

Lucid dreaming seems amazing,the whole idea of doing or being anything and if almost feeling like reality . I have never heard of astral projection, I shall look it up after I finish writing this post. I wouldn't want to have an out of body experience though...

Back to your question, Honestly I don't know, some people claim to have found their soulmates. I don't know if they exist, I can't say I have found mine or am even close to finding mine...if I find mine then I guess I will be happy to be proved wrong, but right now I most definitely would say they don't exist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.