Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The Friendzone definitely exists for boys it consists of girls, who seem too nice and sweet to have sex with maybe you need to stop being shy and start talking more about sex to show you are not just a nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuitarWizard)
    :confused: What's not an excuse?
    Saying lets be friends to avoid a relationship ? The girl actually means it

ReputationRep:
    I think if you truly wanted to get out of the friendzone you'd have to change your image in some way to be sexually appealing to the girl, usually aesthetics I suppose if she didn't find you attractive. The effect of this would be a lot more pronounced if she hasn't seen you for a while so take a break from rimming her so hard. Then when you do meet again after a year or so just be a lot more forward about being into her and it's best to show that physically rather than saying it.

ReputationRep:
    sure it's real, for sad creepy boys who don't care about anything other than getting laid
    'oh no, she just wants to be my friend after i've been friendly to her, what a mean cow'

ReputationRep:
    I think 'friend zoned' is different for different situations. If she is constantly reminding you that your like a 'brother' or a 'brother she never had', that is probably a sign you will not be getting out of the friend zone thus 'friend zoned' becoming fact.

ReputationRep:
    The friendzone is a myth. You wouldn't hear a woman say she had been friendzoned by a guy she liked - she'd either have not told him how she felt, or she'd have been turned down. Guys claiming to have been friendzoned have either not asked out the girl they're interested in or they've been turned down but rather than accepting the position they're in they have to "fight their way out of the friendzone" because they can't accept that the girl doesn't like them like that.

To anyone reading this who thinks they're in the friendzone: why is that even be such a bad thing? Okay, the person you like doesn't like you back in the same way. That sucks, I know. But you're still friends. You still get to enjoy each other's company. Just because you're not dating doesn't mean you can't spend time together.

And if you don't enjoy spending time with them once you know you're not going to date them then why did you want to be with them in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Myth.

ReputationRep:
    I think it definitely exists, it basically occurs when one party sees the other just as friends while the other wants something more. For people that get friendzoned it can be very hard & take a lot of time & effort to get out of it. In most cases it's just better to get over it (sure it hurts) & pursue someone else

ReputationRep:
    Only douchebags use the word "friendzone". "Friendzone" is thinking that just because you're friends and you're a "nice guy" the girl must like you romantically and want to date you.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely exists, rarely escaped

(Original post by emanueladiana)
    I am only able to lose interest along the way, never gain it if it's not there from the start
    Guys in the age range up to mid-20's are often in the process of 'becoming a man'/'finding themselves'. You may not have witnessed this, or experienced this for yourself but it is perfectly possible for you to friendzone a guy on the basis e.g. that he is a sheepish boy, only to reconnect with him years later and be strongly attracted to this self-assured young man you are presented with! :horse:

In my school years I was forever in the friendzone. 20/21 marked the turning point for me, whenever I was teetering on the brink of the friendzone I would destroy that ****. If you're a reasonably attractive guy, mostly it's a case of arousing their interest, yes primarily through confidence and sexuality

ReputationRep:
    the friendzone doesn't exist, got out of it twice.

ReputationRep:
    I've friendzoned many women.

ReputationRep:
    What nonsense. Of course it exists. People who say it doesn't I'm happy to argue it with you.

ReputationRep:
    Some bull**** myth created by whiny guys to explain why they can't get laid. Girls aren't just here for your sexual pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Definitely exists, rarely escaped

Guys in the age range up to mid-20's are often in the process of 'becoming a man'/'finding themselves'. You may not have witnessed this, or experienced this for yourself but it is perfectly possible for you to friendzone a guy on the basis e.g. that he is a sheepish boy, only to reconnect with him years later and be strongly attracted to this self-assured young man you are presented with! :horse:

In my school years I was forever in the friendzone. 20/21 marked the turning point for me, whenever I was teetering on the brink of the friendzone I would destroy that ****. If you're a reasonably attractive guy, mostly it's a case of arousing their interest, yes primarily through confidence and sexuality
    *I have the feeling you think I'm a guy* The up to mid 20's part is sooo true, I think I dated 3 guys under 22 in my life (22 at the point of dating) and they were utterly silly, had no idea how to act around girls - dumped for not having sex with them after clearly stating from the beginning that I won't (seriously, what's with that, you guys think we'll change our mind if you beg).

I doubt those 3 guys will ever change into better, but I agree that people do change over time.

And for the losing of interest part... If I don't find something I don't like about them, they just become annoying at some point, even if the guy's smart and funny. Can't explain:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanueladiana)
    *I have the feeling you think I'm a guy*
    Your feeling is mistaken

The up to mid 20's part is sooo true, I think I dated 3 guys under 22 in my life (22 at the point of dating) and they were utterly silly, had no idea how to act around girls - dumped for not having sex with them after clearly stating from the beginning that I won't (seriously, what's with that, you guys think we'll change our mind if you beg)
    Interesting; I'm not used to hearing of girls refusing to have sex, or guys begging! :mmm:

I doubt those 3 guys will ever change into better, but I agree that people do change over time
    I was probably not dissimilar to such characters in my mid-late teens, in truth. Completely clueless when it came to women

If I don't find something I don't like about them, they just become annoying at some point, even if the guy's smart and funny. Can't explain:/
    These dynamics can be perplexing, if fascinating. Quite often girls find it difficult to put their finger on precisely what turns them off, but know for sure when it happens. I'm glad I never have to deal with the whole 'letting guys down gently' thing, I understand it can be a very awkward thing for girls to have to do :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I won't deny its existence.

The friendzone is simply a zone of friendship and nothing more.

You're friends with someone who doesn't reciprocate the romantic feelings you have towards them.

Why is that a bad thing? Why does it only apply to 'bitter guys who can't get laid'?

Yes it's painful, hence you should spend some time alone and decide for yourself whether you can remain being friends with this person, or whether your feelings are too strong that leaving the situation all together would be a better option in the long run.

There was a girl who liked me a lot, however I always preferred her as a friend. On a few occasions we would flirt, however I made my intentions clear that I only saw her as a friend (not that it helps much). She did fall for me in the end, however I stayed true to my feelings that I didn't feel that way about her.

Gave her some time to spend some time on her own etc, and she came back and told me that she would rather not be friends than suffer knowing that she couldn't have me.

I respect her much more for doing just that, rather than hanging around just in case I "change my mind" over time.

Save yourself the heartache and leave if its too much for you. I don't understand why people are lambasted for expressing genuine concern with the friendzone.

Funny how the insults only start flying out when its a male who is suffering.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's part myth part 'fact'. I can kind of say I've put someone in the 'friendzone' for a valid reason, but being there isn't the end of the world! It's probably easier than you think to get out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Your feeling is mistaken

Interesting; I'm not used to hearing of girls refusing to have sex, or guys begging! :mmm:

I was probably not dissimilar to such characters in my mid-late teens, in truth. Completely clueless when it came to women

These dynamics can be perplexing, if fascinating. Quite often girls find it difficult to put their finger on precisely what turns them off, but know for sure when it happens. I'm glad I never have to deal with the whole 'letting guys down gently' thing, I understand it can be a very awkward thing for girls to have to do :erm:
    I've not idea what you're talking about, when I quoted as break up reason the distance (long distance rel), my ex simply suggested to buy an apartment in my city. Not awkward at all, especially after 2 months dating. (proof that silliness doesn't always go away with age) I think he might have scared me into not dating anymore

Haven't hear of girls refusing sex? Where do you live, Las Vegas? (or, I don't know, what places are slutty)

And if you haven't heard guys begging... then you're either straight, or a bad looking gay guy.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it now, I've definitely had girls who I've had to "put" in the "friendzone" - that is, be very careful about what I say/do with them in case they take it as a sign that I'm interested in them romantically. It's difficult because it sometimes feels like I'm using them for their friendship, whilst that's not what they want.

Could they get out of it? Sure! But they'd have to stumble into what I'd consider "attractiveness", in the same way that all guys need to do to "get out" is become attractive to the object of their desire. Unfortunately, attractiveness isn't something tangible. People often think physically altering themselves will make all the difference - but even if a person went from 400lbs to 180 in order to attract a mate, if they're still rubbish conversationalists, it's a waste of time.

So does the friendzone exist? As a neat label for "people who aren't romantically attractive", yes! Is it helpful to think about romance in such binary terms? Probably not!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.