The Student Room Group

What do you think the answer is to our energy needs?

Scroll to see replies

People say solar and wind power are unreliable and intermittent but they aren't. When it's sunny it's not windy, when it's cloudy it's windy. Some scientists created a plan for how every state in the USA could have 95% of their power provided by wind and solar power.

I also saw a graphic which showed that every renewable source of fuel could meet current demand, if think most could meet current demand several times over and 1 (might have been solar) could produce over 1000 times current energy demand.
Original post by KrazyKoala
We'll start using more natural gas. It's cleaner.

Then eventually the switch to nuclear.

Then after a long, long, long time, finally solar.

Nuclear fusion or fission?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Nuclear fusion or fission?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll start off with nuclear fission which is what most nuclear plants use. Fusion might come in to play later on, but is more difficult than fission, requires more energy. I believe apparently though Fusion is safer (less nuclear waste) hence the research into it.

Solar Power I feel is the end goal, although it takes up a lot of space, we could make use of the unoccupied space to do it. You could even put solar panels on roads. It's just no country really wants to dig up everything to implement it, too time consuming and expensive. Though in the future, solar panels probably will be cheaper, and roads/pavements might decay leading governments to opt to implement such things.

I'd love to live in the world with the later, but don't think it's going to happen :frown:. Will be much after we're all dead I predict.
Reply 23
I wonder what TSR's carbon footprint is
Big solar panel field in the Sahara laced with turbines...
Original post by Flather
People say solar and wind power are unreliable and intermittent but they aren't. When it's sunny it's not windy, when it's cloudy it's windy. Some scientists created a plan for how every state in the USA could have 95% of their power provided by wind and solar power.

I also saw a graphic which showed that every renewable source of fuel could meet current demand, if think most could meet current demand several times over and 1 (might have been solar) could produce over 1000 times current energy demand.

Globally we could certainly power the world on solar alone but you'd need massive fields in the deserts and top of the range connectors which are expensive to get it here. In the UK itself current efficiencies mean that while you could probably get half the grid from solar and wind, you'd need to cover the entire countryside.
There's very little we can do. Developing countries like India, China and other african states are starving for cheap energy - which basically amounts to coal and fossil fuels and their increasing use will eclipse any of our green energy use. These countries cannot afford green energy and to deny them of the pollutant energy will essentially condemn them to perpetual poverty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending