Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It seems cool in America, but here it's a bit weird. Avoid getting involved, imo.

ReputationRep:
    Girls and square numbers are alike in that if they're under 16 you just do them in your head.

Nah it's totally fine though IMO assuming she's mature. Generally females mature several years before males anyway because of their starting puberty sooner. Also, many females physically look like many a 20 year old at 14... Age is literally just a number. It's a nice tool for creating averages but everyone is different. My mentality at 14 will have been very different to that of others. Some probably are suitable for romance at 14, most probably aren't though.

Whether you two are suitable at your age is up to you to decide. Obviously legally you can't have sex but...

ReputationRep:
    Someone who has left school dating a Year 9? Of course it isn't right, best off finding someone your own age, even if you can...

ReputationRep:
    I don't see much wrong with it, but I'm sure many would disagree. I probably wouldn't do it. Just to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    You enjoy being a bunch of ornaments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    And the law is just words on paper...
    Is there a law against a 16yr old going out with a 14yr old?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Don't do anything naughty till she be 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

OP is in year 12.

Girl is in year 9.

This isn't OK.

ReputationRep:
    You could go to prison. And don't listen to the "age is just a number" bull above, as that is true, but only when people are above the age of consent. There are 22 year between my husband and myself - I was 22 when we met, and ready to settle down. But, at the age of 16, I met a guy who duped me into believing he was 22 (28, actually), and single. He was a player, and I thought I was in love. That Is just how naïve a young girl can be. Speaking as an ex-14 year old, even if she seems or wants to seem, looks or tries to look mature, a girl of 14 might be growing up and be developed physically, but is still very much a child. There is an enormous difference even between a 14 and a 16 year old girl - a lot of growing up takes place in that time. And this is coming from someone whose circumstances made her mature much more rapidly than other girls her age! At your age, you are likely to want more from her than she should be prepared to give to you. She might tell you that she wants to become physical with you, but a lot of that comes from emotional attachment issues typical of a 14 year old girl. If you can trust yourself around her, I guess you can sort of date and hang out, but do not have sex with her! As a mother of daughters, I would probably be very tempted to report you to the police, had she been my daughter, and I'd found out you'd become intimate. And it's rape. You cannot, legally, have sex with a 14 year old. " A boy or girl under the age of 16 cannot consent in law, (Archbold 2004, 20-152).

Consent should be carefully considered when deciding not only what offence to charge but also whether it is in the public interest to prosecute. Sometimes consent is given, or appears to be given, but the law does not treat it as effective consent.

The law does not allow a person's consent to sexual activity to have effect in the following situations:
    where the person giving consent did not understand what was happing and so could not give informed consent, for example in the case of a child or someone suffering from a severe mental disability;
    where the person giving consent was under the relevant age of consent." (http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/r...ences/consent/)

ReputationRep:
    To add something to my answer: I remember, when I was 22, saying to my now husband of ten years: "I wish I'd met you when I was 14", to which he replied: "Yes, me too. I'd have bought you and ice-cream and made sure you got home safely, to your mum and dad."

ReputationRep:
    I think dating her is fine. Even if she wants to, it's best not to have sex until she's at least 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glasgow_EL)
    I think dating her is fine. Even if she wants to, it's best not to have sex until she's at least 15.
    The age of consent is 16. Having sex while she is under 16 is against the law.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe people saying this is okay, hahha. You really just sound like a pervert who can't find anyone his own age

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewchesh)
    So i am here today to ask.. Is it weird or wrong to date a 14 year old girl in year 9 (uk)
    I am 16 (17 in june). And am currently at college.

Please give me your opinions and answers!!
    In all honesty? I'm 17 and my GF's 14.

Take things slowly and don't do anything drastic. If you're worried about the social connotations, keep it on the down-low. If in doubt, stay on the side of the law.

ReputationRep:
    So i am here today to ask.. Is it weird or wrong to date a 14 year old girl in year 9 (uk)
    I am 16 (17 in june). And am currently at college.

Please give me your opinions and answers!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Avoid sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjgriffiths)
    In all honesty? I'm 17 and my GF's 14.

Take things slowly and don't do anything drastic. If you're worried about the social connotations, keep it on the down-low. If in doubt, stay on the side of the law.
    Have you had sex?

ReputationRep:
    If you have sex with her it would be classed as rape so it's not the best idea. But I've known relationships at that age and age gap who've worked out perfectly well. The family aproved much more once she'd turned 16 though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theTeddyBearx)
    I didn't finish off what I was meant to type

...Age is just a number

...unless the girl is young enough to be your daughter or the boy is old enough to be your dad

Basically the age gap shouldn't be massively huge
    Your logic still doesn't work. ie 10 & 16.

A 2 year age gap at OP's age is too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borgia)
    Have you had sex?
    Nope.

We're taking things slowly ourselves It's a pretty innocent relationship really in that respect
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    x
    You being in Y12 kinda makes me wonder why you're attracted to her because she's still developing... Unless she's a Y9 who looks a lot older than she is? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.