Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It depends who you are.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, although at the same time it's good to be the best person you can be, so if you think there's something that needs improving then work on that!

ReputationRep:
    It is excellent advice as long as you're genuinely happy to be yourself, even if that means you may not appeal to people or experience romantic success as much as others do. You have to be able to derive your happiness from staying true to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Always be yourself, within sensible parameters and whilst adhering to a few basic rules of thumb, as well as ideally aiming to be your best self*

There is no greater feeling in the world - except perhaps scoring a crisp goal that counts for something - than scoring in spite of being unashamedly yourself
    That is some very good advice, i like your do's and don't xD. i just need to practice these now

ReputationRep:
    Being yourself will never get you anywhere

ReputationRep:
    It's good to be yourself however, I've learnt that sometime there are times when you need to cut off certain parts of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    That is some very good advice, i like your do's and don't xD. i just need to practice these now
    Distilled over many years for your consuming pleasure :hat2: The good news is, they tend to come somewhat naturally, with experience

(Original post by queen-bee)
    Being yourself will never get you anywhere
    That's an unhealthy attitude, particularly coming from someone with your qualities. The most attractive women are those who shine in subtle et. sophisticated celebration of self :girl:

(Original post by davidmb19)
    It's good to be yourself however, I've learnt that sometime there are times when you need to cut off certain parts of yourself.
    Self-mutilation is never the answer :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you present the best side of yourself, but being at ease and confident is the most attractive thing in my opinion, and that can only come across if you're being true to yourself. If the other person doesn't get you, it's fine, unless you have a naturally horrid personality there are people out there who'll you'll click with and find it easy to be yourself around

ReputationRep:
    Distilled over many years for your consuming pleasure :hat2: The good news is, they tend to come somewhat naturally, with experience

That's an unhealthy attitude, particularly coming from someone with your qualities. The most attractive women are those who shine in subtle et. sophisticated celebration of self :girl:

Why should I settle for being myself when there's always going to be better women out there competing for the same guy. being myself in the past has truly held me back from my 'true potential'. Most men just find me too nice of probably boring and cute.
    I'm tired of being that so it's always best to go along with a different personality

ReputationRep:

Sometime it is, sometime it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I settle for being myself when there's always going to be better women out there competing for the same guy
    With an attitude like that you are almost guaranteed to fail :rolleyes:

being myself in the past has truly held me back from my 'true potential'. Most men just find me too nice of probably boring and cute
    Most boys* will respond thusly, real men know better, and will know how lucky they are to have you

We don't want a girl who is a hard *****, we want a woman who is not a doormat,* an important distinction :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    With an attitude like that you are almost guaranteed to fail :rolleyes:

Most boys* will respond thusly, real men know better, and will know how lucky they are to have you

We don't want a girl who is a hard *****, we want a woman who is not a doormat,* an important distinction :holmes:
    I have failed in the past by being myself so this can only be an improvement.
    Most men like girl who has slept around, are crazy feminists or mouthy or in general just 'out there' every night or wears very revealing stuff.
    They would never settle for a shy christian girl who barely goes out.
    also im still young so I can't impress like many older girls can I guess.
    I don't think I truly believe I have or will ever be enough for anyone,there's always been other people who get in the way and my situation with my ex's are prime examples.people just tell you what you want to hear,not what you need to.
    So moral of the story for me would just be to behave like someone you're not just to appear like you're not a simple girl but a hot diva who's been there and done that

ReputationRep:
    Whether it's trying to make friends or going on a first date, is being yourself good advice?
    Does anyone have stories when being themselves worked or didn't or pretending to be someone else worked out better for them?

probably not, no.

Be the best version of yourself you can be is probably better advice.

ReputationRep:
    I have failed in the past by being myself so this can only be an improvement.
    Most men like girl who has slept around, are crazy feminists or mouthy or in general just 'out there' every night or wears very revealingb stuff.
    They would never settle for a shy christian girl who barely goes out.
    I don't think I truly believe I have or will ever be enough for anyone,there's always been other people who get in the way and my situation with my ex's are prime examples.
    So moral of the story for me would just be to behave like someone you're not just to appear like you're not a simple girl but a hot diva who's been there and done that
    Really we don't care about those things.
    As long as you're relatively attractive
    Have a nice personality
    and are generally a nice human being.

ReputationRep:
    Really we don't care about those things.
    As long as you're relatively attractive
    Have a nice personality
    and are generally a nice human being.
    Trust me most guys do and young girls like myself are usually at a loss because we don't compare with older women who've been there and done that. Experience is key.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're a right ******, then yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me most guys do and young girls like myself are usually at a loss because we don't compare with older women who've been there and done that. Experience is key.
    Sounds like you're chasing after the wrong guys

ReputationRep:
    :holmes:
    Do you have any advice on how to be more confident/secure?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has different "selves" - are you the same person to your friends as you are to your grandma?

Be what feels natural. If the other person doesn't like it then you could either adjust yourself to them (e.g. stop swearing in front of grandma), or let them adjust to you (e.g. someone becoming friends with you).

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Fake it til you make it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.