Hardest Driving Maneuvers..? Watch

Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Zakz)
if u ahve a ****ty car that doesnt have power steering, turning ur car while trying to parallel park will do make ur arms THROB! lol
:rolleyes: Cars are better (more fun) WITHOUT power steering, FACT.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ryan)
:rolleyes: Cars are better (more fun) WITHOUT power steering, FACT.
I tend to agree with that in a certain light. Take the Fiat Punto with its CITY feature, its terrific for parking, but for driving, its just woeful, having no feeling through the steering column.

Now the car I have does have power steering, but only slightly, if that makes sense. You can really feel everything, when turning the corner at speed, you feel as though you're actually having to use your strength to do so, which I love. Its also soft enough to park, which makes it good aty both options.

(Original post by gbduo)
No if the ABS kicks in thats an emergency stop!????
Not really. Emergency stops are achievable without the use of ABS. ABS normally kicks in when someone panics and just plants their foot on the brake without depressing the brake pedal in a way thats not kicking in the ABS. In fact, I've found ABS to be useless in certain situations, where your own measured braking is certainly a lot better
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well yeh, ABS does not decrease your braking distance it merely means you stay in control of the car as your car does not skid.

Indeed, some studies show that your braking distance can increase as you say Walshie in certain conditions, particularly winter conditions.

Graham
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Only since in the snow you need your wheels to lock, however, I don't recall a test where even professional drivers can beat a modern ABS system?

City system on Punto switches off at a set speed (depending on age it is different) and like all electric PAS systems, it varies in how much it helps given your road speed. Electric PAS is fantastic because of the huge variation in power assistance IMO.
Kidders
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ynox)
surely the ABS kicking in means you were either a bit hard on the brakes or dumped the clutch down too early? Hence not a great emergency stop.

I probably disliked parallel parking the most when learning to drive though.
It's good that the ABS kicks in means you're getting extra breaking power, it means the car knows you're doing an Emergency Stop, which is what i was doing!! Hence I like it because the car helps out a little.
Kidders
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
Well yeh, ABS does not decrease your braking distance it merely means you stay in control of the car as your car does not skid.

Indeed, some studies show that your braking distance can increase as you say Walshie in certain conditions, particularly winter conditions.

Graham
Exactly... you don't want to skid if a liitle child has run out infront of you, you want to stop and stay in control
naddles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by latiina)
i hate reversing around the corner!! luckily it never came up on either of my tests..
I failed my first test because of that!
vixky!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I find bay parking the hardest - i'm actually fine with the others!
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by candy_foss)
It's good that the ABS kicks in means you're getting extra breaking power, it means the car knows you're doing an Emergency Stop, which is what i was doing!! Hence I like it because the car helps out a little.
(Original post by candy_foss)
Exactly... you don't want to skid if a liitle child has run out infront of you, you want to stop and stay in control
What is this misconception about ABS?!
If ABS is kicking in, its simply because you can't put together an emergency stop properly! An emergency stop should be accomplished without the use of ABS, which will give you far better stopping power. ABS will kick in if you've hammered the brake pedal where it then starts thumping to rectify your mistake.
mousy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well in theory I should say that parrallel parking is the hardest as it caused me to fail my first driving test, but I definitely find reversing round a corner horrible. In fact, the only one I like is turn in the road.
naddles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mousy)
Well in theory I should say that parrallel parking is the hardest as it caused me to fail my first driving test, but I definitely find reversing round a corner horrible. In fact, the only one I like is turn in the road.
Turn in the Road was the very first maneuvre I was taught and has always been my easiest.
tomd123
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Ive been taught to dip my left wing mirror before i start reverse around a corner and revers bay park and then pu thtem back up again to drive on. Can i do this in the actual test? I freaking hope so because I can't do them without that!
stratomaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tomd123)
Ive been taught to dip my left wing mirror before i start reverse around a corner and revers bay park and then pu thtem back up again to drive on. Can i do this in the actual test? I freaking hope so because I can't do them without that!
Yeah you can but its best to be able to do the manouver just by looking out of your rear window. You might find yourself staring at the wing mirror which results in lack of observations which can result in a fail!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads