The Student Room Group

Teenager and need advice !!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Read through the many roles there are at an Investment Bank here: http://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/why-goldman-sachs/our-divisions/investment-banking/

That's really only a decision you can make. It's a sacrifice of your social life (as you know it), for the most part. As Will said in a previous thread you made, what do you want from life?

Money isn't everything and can make people really unhappy and lonely. Work/life balance is **** in IBD.

I will probably get more advice from family about IB however the pay completely intrigues me and In Sha Allah after a few years i will own my own business but i don't understand how checking markets etc can take 80+ hours a week? Thats impossible? Surely 50 is the max?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aliobeid
I will probably get more advice from family about IB however the pay completely intrigues me and In Sha Allah after a few years i will own my own business but i don't understand how checking markets etc can take 80+ hours a week? Thats impossible? Surely 50 is the max?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you talking about Investment Banking or Trading/Research roles, they are two completely different areas within an Investment Bank. Traders work on average 12 hours a day, so around 60 hours per week.

You don't just 'check markets', whatever that even means.
Reply 22
Are you talking about Investment Banking or Trading/Research roles, they are two completely different areas within an Investment Bank. Traders work on average 12 hours a day, so around 60 hours per week.

You don't just 'check markets', whatever that even means.

I think i'm talking about Investment Banking, excel charts, good speaking skills, markets on prices rising etc, helping businesses invest etc? Crazy bonuses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aliobeid
I think i'm talking about Investment Banking, excel charts, good speaking skills, markets on prices rising etc, helping businesses invest etc? Crazy bonuses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, your knowledge of IB is severely lacking. You've just muddled up a bunch of stuff without actually comprehending what they mean. As I said before, do some research, read Wikipedia even, I don't care - just try to understand the roles better. Once you understand the roles better, maybe your questions will be more coherent.
This is false. Banking is hardly about maths at all. The maths involved in Investment Banking tops at differentiation.

Business as a degree at a good university will land you an interview. MBAs are a prime example of why people with a background in business are sought after. It matters not what degree you study for most part as long as you show the relevant competencies and inter-personal attributes.

Obviously studying Business/Finance/Economics gives you an edge on the technical front but by no means is it necessary. From my interning at an IB, a lot of employees had degrees in business/business administration from well-regarded business schools.

I wouldn't go around giving advice on things you know nothing about.

:congrats:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending