Who is the richest academic?? Watch

Lady Narcissus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
There u go, there is no answer. A famous academic himself, John Gardner, says that they are lucky to be paid at all I was just making a meagre attempt to give those academic some fame amongst all the League tables and data for the 'magic circle'
bryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you are a professor at somewhere like Harvard Business School, you will probably be paid a lot to do consultation work for some big companies.
Alan Smithee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Alan Dershowitz
bryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pretty Boy Floyd)
Alan Dershowitz
Why do you think that? He takes most of his cases "pro bono". I think the richest academic is probably James Simons, if he counts. He earned an estimated US$1.5 billion in 2005. Simons used to teach mathematics at MIT, Harvard and head the math department at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. But I think he left academia in the late 1970s.
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
There u go then, there are a few rich academics although most do like being paid in fun

To the previous poster, actually this academic I know is rather lazy and would prefer to do this own research than go to the board meeting because in my ex-law school board meeting means university administration May-be for medics it can mean interesting things like advancement and the blood of the uni, blood being a rather apt word.
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is James Simons still an academic?
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
How do u keep getting all the neg rep PBF?
poltroon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I should think that Ewan McKendrick, writer of the leading contract textbooks, earns a riotous sum.
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
By riotous you mean high correct? Well to be fair, he has written the leading undergraduate text on the subject, it is by no means the leading text (see Chitty, Treitel etc for the practitioners/higher level texts). I beleive the Chitty book retails for something like 300 big ones. But the sheer quantity of his books which sell to all undergraduates means that he deserves to at least get some money!
superdillon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Basil Markesinis has about 9 different degrees under his belt, is the member of several of these committees and has published many many books and contributed in loads of different journals as well. He also has done a lot of comparative law work which means that his work is read more widely etc.
I imagine that he earns a tidy sum.
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ellewoods)
lol ahhh poor Eth, you're just upset because you wish you were doing the PhD full time rather than taking this flogging on the LPC!!!! :p:
You're not wrong. In fact, I'm working on the PhD just now :p:
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's a prof at NUS who holds so many professorships and stuff it's absolutely insane. Jets all over the world etc, and there's quite a few of them who seem to be absolutely minted. Especially the guy who used to be a judge, and was then the OA and OR for Singapore... then travelled to loads of international conferences as the Singapore member of UNCITRAL panels etc.
Ali-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If I can recall my memory, I read somewhere in The Times that the dean of London Business School pours approximately pound 350K per annum in his pocket. But, that does not help, since you are concerned with law academics. My two cents, nevertheless.
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
I might have started a bizzare thread but at least it got some interesting facts coming my way I wonder how much more a lecturer of Oxford University earns in comparison to someone just lecturing in an individual college. I know that they all belong to colleges, its just that some only appear to lecture in the college and don't have a staff profile on the Oxford Law Website. It is kind of like they are less important. It took a while to get used to these things after Hull
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LauraWalker)
I might have started a bizzare thread but at least it got some interesting facts coming my way I wonder how much more a lecturer of Oxford University earns in comparison to someone just lecturing in an individual college. I know that they all belong to colleges, its just that some only appear to lecture in the college and don't have a staff profile on the Oxford Law Website. It is kind of like they are less important. It took a while to get used to these things after Hull
Don't get used to it.

Resist!
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
He, He. I don't think it is anything to do with snobbery. Often college tutors are more junior tutors starting out their career. Its just that in Hull we have no colleges. Must say it makes it a lot easier to pop in and chat with people.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Speaking of Hull, you seen the new law school website? they've finally got rid of that hideous purple!
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
SNAP. I was about to mention that. I still use it for links.

Even better there is a funny picture of my academic supervisor posing as Director!!!

http://www.law.hull.ac.uk/people/staff/index.html
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
LauraWalker - Thanks.
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
Ha, Ha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads