global economics rankings Watch

Jaffaholic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Crazster)
This is very weak as I came from Hong Kong and know both Hong Kong institutions ranked higher then UCL for economics.... and I came to UCL instead.
Really? Rememeber that Social SCiences does not equal economics. It also includes a qide variety of subjects including Politics, International Relations, Business etc. None of which UCL is that renowned for as far as i know.

Ive also been told that there are excellent unis Asia that simply are unable to break into the top 10 unis in the world because of the huge language barriers.
Splinter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
intriguing tables. Peking university number 17, that made me laugh really hard. If its talking about Beijing Daxue (BeiDa) then I struggle to believe that can really make it into the top 50 even. The research might be up there (possibly, I dont really know what kind of social science research they do there) but the teaching etc. is truly abismal, I would like to see how it scored individually and what the parametres for this survey were cos is seems quite ludicrous
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to wonder what that was done on. On research and citations, Harvard is miles ahead. On undergraduate teaching, well, that would seem a little strange to me. I think for an undergrad, if you attend one of: Oxbridge, LSE, Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, Princeton or MIT, you can't go far wrong. Well, at least if you're sensible and pick a place that suits you. That can't be stressed enough. I wouldn't have worked hard enough at LSE without personal tuition, and would hve found the competitiveness of Harvard, et. al. probably too much for me. But then Oxford (as Cambridge would have) fitted me like a glove. However other people look for different things. Pick a place that suits you, and that's very good, and you won't go wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.83%
No - but I will (101)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed