competition for maths? Watch

Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cexy)
You'll probably find that it is, you know. Especially the final year of it.

I don't think that I can give a quantitative assessment of "how good" you have to be to get in. If you think you can easily get three As at A Level, including Maths and Further Maths, then it's probably worth a shot.

In case you want to know the pedigree behind my post: I did four years of mathematics at Trinity.
i believe he meant "not only world-renowned"
Burky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm finding there's quite a lot of work to be done, but it doesn't seem way too hard yet, it's just putting the time in.

One thing which made me laugh. My supervision partner was at a club a few weeks back, and he got talking to a girl. The conversation got round to their subjects, and when he said maths, she walked away and wasn't to be seen again.
Cexy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by chewwy)
i believe he meant "not only world-renowned"
That's what you get for posting when tired, I guess. I remember thinking at the time that his post didn't make much sense...
dijon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Burky)
One thing which made me laugh. My supervision partner was at a club a few weeks back, and he got talking to a girl. The conversation got round to their subjects, and when he said maths, she walked away and wasn't to be seen again.
Oh yes I can relate to that (one of the negatives of my time at uni). I graduated in Maths in 2005 with a 2.2, and sometimes I can't believe that I actually got into Cambridge. Looking back, there's several reasons why I think I got in
- I just worked my ass off in A-Levels and STEP (got a 1 on paper II and 3 on paper III). Then I think at some point in uni I lost my work ethic a bit after studying so hard for so long.
- I applied to churchill where I went to an open day (churchill obviously thought I was very keen on them)
- I did really well on the entrance exam, I think it just suited me as it was multiple choice with marks taken off for incorrect answers (bit like the maths challenges)
It was quite hard to make the step up as I was used to being the best at maths in sixth form by a long way, then in just my college I was middle of the road. Then instead of having the confidence to work through questions to get the answers, I got used to not being able to do many of the questions. I'm rambling now, hope the OP can find something in there to help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads