FA's Greg Dyke announces plans to restrict non-EU players Watch

Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not gonna happen. Fix the youth system, there's the real problem.
Zander01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I blame the parents. They just let their kids stay inside all the time, playing their xbox and getting fat
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The premier league is/was the best in the world precisely because it was a free (ish) market which allowed clubs to import the best players they can get. This allowed the 02/06 team (the best for decades and vastly superior to now) to have players who'd also played in teams that were the best in the world, players that pushed themselves to compete for a place in the squad.

Protectionism (which this is) will only dilute the brilliance of the premier league.

If they really want to help England then they need to catch players young and train them (or even have them trained in Spain) so that they are of a comparable standard to the best of the best.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
Haha PL? That's hardly a challenge considering he plays against the likes of QPR and Sunderland.
I want him to go abroad and prove himself there.
Pele made a great point saying english players don't go abroad to better themselves.
At least bale(who's Welsh lol) is doing alright but even he's struggling recently with form.
Who cares if the PL has QPR or Sunderland? Every league has **** teams in it.

Anyway, there is only one league that he can play in abroad that people will take seriously. Outside of that, no one is going to give a hoot.

English players don't go abroad because they make more money in the UK than they ever will abroad.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
English players don't go abroad purely for financial reasons imo.

They don't want to take a paycut, obviously, as they are in relatively short supply. proportionately. Their wages/fees increase in comparison to foreign players who provide the same service (look at the over-the-odds deals for Lallana, Shaw, Downing, Henderson, Chambers in recent times) so are in it for their own interests - and rightly so.

Back in the day, some of the country's best players went abroad purely in the aftermath of the Heysel ban. They wanted to be playing the biggest club competitions, and English clubs faced an expulsion from them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads