The Student Room Group

Plane crash: Germanwings A320 crashes in French Alps

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TornadoGR4
Obviously, but transport related tragedies occur everyday all over the world. Yet it's only air travel that makes global news

Terrible news just in that a school trip was taking place & 16 children & 2 teachers were onboard.

The Costa Concordia made global news, so did that Korean cruise ship ...
Original post by Dodgypirate
The Costa Concordia made global news, so did that Korean cruise ship ...

What are you trying to argue here?
Original post by Drewski
Enough of the baseless hyperbole. It's being reported as eight minutes of descent, not plummeting.

Calm down dear.

It's a jet going at 550-600 mph it's likely it would.
What are you trying to argue here?

Nothing, just pointing out your last remark was false :redface:
There was distress signal as they plummeted for 8 minutes, so it's likely to be engine failure.

We do not know if it plummeted, but we do know there was no distress signal from the plane.

Kindly cease with your pointless and irrelevant speculation based on zero knowledge.
Calm down dear.

It's a jet going at 550-600 mph it's likely it would.

What point are you trying to make? All jets travel that fast. All jets descend in order to land. There is no evidence that yet suggests this aircraft plummeted. So why say it did?
Original post by Drewski
We do not know if it plummeted, but we do know there was no distress signal from the plane.

Kindly cease with your pointless and irrelevant speculation based on zero knowledge.

The BBC report says there was :redface:, and I'm hearing Reuters has too :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
What point are you trying to make? All jets travel that fast. All jets descend in order to land. There is no evidence that yet suggests this aircraft plummeted. So why say it did?

Does it matter if I used 'plummet' instead of 'descended'? It came down, that's fact :redface:
Yes if a plane is going hundreds of miles per hour, why would it suddenly nose-dive? It would continue going forward but at the same time it would be going downwards

The descent of the plane wouldnt be like how a shuttlecock falls from air from rest

:hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The BBC report says there was :redface:, and I'm hearing Reuters has too :redface:

The BBC site later corrected itself to say the signal was sent out by French ATC after they lost contact with the aircraft. The aircraft is known to have not sent out any signal. Which you'd know if you bothered to read the reports you're commenting on.

How would you feel if someone you knew was on that plane? Would you like to read someone wildly speculating about how they died? Not likely. I've had friends die in plane crashes, I've sat and read pillocks like you make comments that you have absolutely no reason or need to make just to try and make yourself sound special. I'm politely asking you not to.
(edited 8 years ago)
No one knows exactly how it went down until the box is retrieved and analysed. Plummet gives the impression it fell like a stone which may not be the case. Everything reported so far is speculation
Original post by Drewski
The BBC site later corrected itself to say the signal was sent out by French ATC after they lost contact with the aircraft. The aircraft is known to have not sent out any signal. Which you'd know if you bothered to read the reports you're commenting on.

How would you feel if someone you knew was on that plane? Would you like to read someone wildly speculating about how they died? Not likely. I've had friends die in plane crashes, I've sat and read pillocks like you make comments that you have absolutely no reason or need to make just to try and make yourself sound special. I'm politely asking you not to.

Why would I be looking for speculations? I would be looking for facts.

Now you're getting defensive, rude and antagonistic because someone has different views from you. I've got every right to make speculations - in fact everyone including TSR users and the victims' families are. How coincidental you have friends who died in a crash, I really do hope that's not a lie.

Peace.
(edited 8 years ago)
No one knows exactly how it went down until the box is retrieved and analysed. Plummet gives the impression it fell like a stone which may not be the case. Everything reported so far is speculation

Call it whatever you want, it still crashed.

Why would I be looking for speculations? I would be looking for facts.

Now you're getting defensive, rude and antagonistic because someone has different views from you. I've got every right to make speculations - in fact everyone including TSR users and the victims' families are. How coincidental you have friends who died in a crash, I really do hope that's not a lie.

Peace.

I'm ex-RAF, it's an occupational hazard.

Why would you be looking for speculation? I don't know. But you are. Post 11. Post 16. Just wild, baseless rumours.

It's not that I have different views, I'm deliberately not expressing any. That's a key difference that I suggest you think about. My degree is aeronautical engineering, I'd wager I know far more about aircraft than you, but I'm not here spurting it wild guesswork about a crash that's not even cold yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
An Airbus A320 carrying 142 passengers and 6 crew has crashed in the French Alps en route to Dusseldorf.

The plane belongs to Germanwings.

What does the future of air transport hold? There have been reports of many plane crashes recently, what needs to happen to prevent them from happening?

My prayers go to their families, so tragic, no matter who they were or what religion they were death is death
All these prayers will be useful no doubt. Keep 'em coming guys, God must be asleep.
People always overreact to plane crashes in a way you just don't get with other vehicles. Train crashes in India loads dead...lol Indian trains is the basic reaction. Small prop plane carrying 10 people crashes somewhere....FRONT PAGE NEEEWS.

I mean I won't pretend it's that accurate but I pulled some stat saying there's about 50,000 to 55,000 commercial flights a day (most are within the USA), so not including cargo, military etc. So what lets say we have 5 passenger planes crash a year, which we don't always do. 5 planes out of 191,625,00. So basically a one in 38 million chance a passenger plane is going to crash and we're assuming every "crash" causes mass fatalities which from the last few years we've seen isn't so. A lot safer than a car/bus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MJK91
All these prayers will be useful no doubt. Keep 'em coming guys, God must be asleep.

Original post by joey11223
It's a bit like a kickstarter fund you see. God has the whole "over 500k prayers or no dice" "Over 1m and I'll appear in a few peoples dreams to comfort them..somehow" "Over 3m and I'll make it so a handful or less survive, big miracle" etc etc.

Why on earth are you using this tragic event to get one over on religion?

Why on Earth do people bring religion into these threads first then? What point does it serve?
(edited 8 years ago)

MJK covered it, and for many people it's equally insensitive to bring God up. I didn't want some people telling me how "well she's with God it's okay" when a young relative died, because she's not with God and it's not okay, she was gone.

Anyway we're only arguing the point now because you've instigated it. Best if all posts are removed, I'll edit my initial one to remove it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending