Is maternity pay fair? Watch

username1399980
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
Oh excellent. That's nice to be proven wrong then.

you are welcome
aoxa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by watchingyouwatch)
It is actually far less generous than you are suggesting

You only get 90% of your pay for 6 week then a maximum of £138.18 (which would be £3.45 on a 40 hour week- much less than the minimum wage) for 33 weeks - after that nothing

And I said in my previous post many business can claim 103% of maternity pay back.

If people in this thread are going to potificate on something it really is a good idea to have a vague idea of what you are talking about...

Still never let the facts get in the way of having a go
I wasn't having a go. I simply was saying that I think that the maternity pay system should be changed. I wasn't suggesting the maternity pay is pay is generous either, you would know this if you had read my post properly.

'Many businesses' - only ones that qualify for small employers relief. Other businesses can claim some money back, but this is less than the 103% that you quoted.

The average working week 36 hours, which would give you a wage of around £5. The maternity pay still lasts for 8 months, out of the 12 months women can take off for maternity leave. This is statutory maternity pay though, and I suspect most middle/large businesses would have a maternity pay package rather than paying the statutory pay too.

And I do have a 'vague idea' of what I'm talking about, but I was simply stating my opinion on how I think the maternity pay system should be changed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads