What do you think a feminist is? Watch

limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

When feminists can't actually make their mind up on this one either, it seems like it may not actually be a simple case of 'what the dictionary definition says'
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by limetang)

When feminists can't actually make their mind up on this one either, it seems like it may not actually be a simple case of 'what the dictionary definition says'
That girl seems like a moron

Posted from TSR Mobile
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wade-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
True, it's an unfair example, but let's view it as a more extreme example of the fact that feminism isn't the homogenous egalitarian movement people like Emma Watson would like us to think it is.
Wade-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
True, it's an unfair example, but let's view it as a more extreme example of the fact that feminism isn't the homogenous egalitarian movement people like Emma Watson would like us to think it is.
I agree, it's essentially become an umbrella term. I think a lot of people are in favour of gender equality and confuse that with feminism so they call themselves feminists

Posted from TSR Mobile
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dyslexicvegie)
Hello there people!

I have just watched Free Speech on BBC3 and a successful British Female Entrepreneur insisted she was not a feminist but was all for women's rights.

Also recent Threads, I have noticed in the relationship section, have been discussing the suitability of women who identify as feminists for marriage.(though that is not the purpose of this thread)

I know many people who identify as feminists have different ideas about how to act on it ( no more page 3 Vs women should have that job opportunity etc)

For me Feminism means, I believe in equal rights and opportunities for men and women in all things. That doesn't seem so controversial. But identifying as a feminist seems to be.

So that got me thinking, is feminism generally regarded differently to how I would describe it?

So what does feminism mean to you? Has feminism become a dirty word? Does it seem aggressive or sexist? Has feminism lost the plot? Where are all the male feminists?

Plz no hate.
I am interested in your thoughts. Thank you xx

The definition is there in the dictionary for all to see. Its a person who thinks men and women should have equal rights.
dyslexicvegie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Round up.

Thank you for your views - keep them coming! (especially those of you who have written proper essays wow)

So what I have learnt so far is that many people have the same perception of feminism as myself. Also I am slightly disturbed by what some people think I am communicating to them what I say "I am a feminist."

One of the main issues is that feminism is seen by some people as just being in the interests of women. Historically achieving equality for men and women has meant improving the rights of women because they have been second class citizens ( and still are in many countries). Feminism was not stripping men of rights. It has (attempted) to bring women up to the level of men not dragged men down to the level of women.
Men suffer from issues of gender equality as well. Some young men are pressured into gangs, or ridiculed for wanting to take a more hands on role in raising there children, for example.

Admittedly if the word for someone who strives for gender equality was a Manist - I would be a little suspicious. But for the reasons I have explained above Feminism is the word we have ended up with and I have no problem still using it.

Also some people seem to think that feminists look for reasons to hate men for reasons like 'cant get a husband'. That is a slander which has been throne at those striving for gender equality for over one hundred years. I personally don't know a single women (gay or hetro) who hates men, I know some women who don't like particular men but not because they are men. I love some men. I lot of feminists are teens - why would they want a husband?

So what do I want to communicate when I say I'm a Feminist:
Opinionated? - hell yes
Strong? - I try to be
Man hating? - hell no, I love and/or respect many different people.
Aggressive? No, but protective I can live with.
Misguided? - no
Speak for all women? No
Think I know what is best? Always willing to learn.
Trying to start a fight or argument? F*** no!
Feminine? I have my moments
drowzee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wade-)
Agreed. Also, as someone has mentioned on this post, I really urge people to watch Emma Watson's speech, that really embodies what feminism really is about. We're much closer to having gender equality, however we're not quite there yet and men also suffer in consequence.

Putting aside women's issues for a moment, one thing I really find troubling is that men are expected to be these strong, macho robots and not have feelings/be sensitive. It makes me sad as this is what I hear from both men and women. I've heard women and men call other guys pussies and not men if they show any sort of typically "feminine" traits. Some want someone to take charge and make decisions, which again I think undermines the idea of women being equal, while simultaneously ridiculing men that perhaps cannot make the final decisions. That's just my two cents, and I just wanted to prove MOST feminists are not what the media portrays them to be. We want equality for all.
Smushy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally choose not to call myself a feminist because of the connotations. Like someone mentioned above, a gender equality movement called manism would be quite suspicious. Asides rom the connotations, feminists don't agree with each other what it means to be a feminist, the term is quite imprecise these days. I don't see why I can't just say I support equality of the sexes. It's barely any longer and it causes way less confusion.
amysvz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It doesn't seem reasonable to assume the responses of all feminists to be the same. By creating such generalisations aren't you just reflecting the very same sort of simplistic and blinkered behaviour/world view that you accuse the 'feminist' of having? It seems a sad irony which merely polarises the debate further and perpetuates our inability to have an open and logical discussion!

(Original post by Spetznaaz)
Oh lawd.

You should really learn to paragraph, reading that hurt my head.

Just as an example - Reasonable person presented with statistic which clearly does not sound right "1 in 3 women raped".

Feminist presented with said statistic.

Reasonable response: How did they come up with this statistic? What was being asked? What was considered rape? etc. Of course you find out they considered any unwanted sexual attention as rape (IIRC).

Feminist response: "omg we live in a rape culture, men are evil, women are victims blah blah bull****"

That's just one random example mind.
Wade-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by drowzee)
Agreed. Also, as someone has mentioned on this post, I really urge people to watch Emma Watson's speech, that really embodies what feminism really is about. We're much closer to having gender equality, however we're not quite there yet and men also suffer in consequence.

Putting aside women's issues for a moment, one thing I really find troubling is that men are expected to be these strong, macho robots and not have feelings/be sensitive. It makes me sad as this is what I hear from both men and women. I've heard women and men call other guys pussies and not men if they show any sort of typically "feminine" traits. Some want someone to take charge and make decisions, which again I think undermines the idea of women being equal, while simultaneously ridiculing men that perhaps cannot make the final decisions. That's just my two cents, and I just wanted to prove MOST feminists are not what the media portrays them to be. We want equality for all.
I think our agreement goes about as far as thinking that girl is an idiot lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Someone who only cares about female rights and some want to be above men. No way
HuggleyDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wade-)
No it isn't. It's a movement to extend the rights of women

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is the movement to ensure equal rights. Women are not equal in this country or around the world.
HuggleyDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jazjaz)
Just food for thought here... But how can you bring about 'political, economical and social equality of the sexes' by concentrating solely on the issues of one gender only?
Feminism doesn't concentrate solely on the issues of one gender, it does try to help men too but there is more of a focus on women's issues because women are in the vast majority of cases not given equal rights and opportunities.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HuggleyDuck)
It is the movement to ensure equal rights. Women are not equal in this country or around the world.
Things will never change. Violence, racism, sexism...it is how it is.
Skyy9432
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An egalitarian that wants to use a more mainstream name.
HuggleyDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
Things will never change. Violence, racism, sexism...it is how it is.

Thing won't change with that attitude.

One hundred years ago people believed women would not be allowed to vote and people of different skin colours would always be segregated, and yet look at our society now. Change is always possible as long as people put the effort in.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thing won't change with that attitude.

One hundred years ago people believed women would not be allowed to vote and people of different skin colours would always be segregated, and yet look at our society now. Change is always possible as long as people put the effort in.
Change is possible but worldwide change? Every single country? No chance

There's even racism between race that's how ****ed up humans are.
HuggleyDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Change is possible but worldwide change? Every single country? No chance

There's even racism between race that's how ****ed up humans are.
But is the small chance of 100% success enough to stop people trying? The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. It's not going to be a quick change but I honestly believe it will happen, obviously not everywhere at first, but gradually it will happen and more and more people will get on board.

Humans are messed up, but that doesn't mean there's no hope.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But is the small chance of 100% success enough to stop people trying? The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. It's not going to be a quick change but I honestly believe it will happen, obviously not everywhere at first, but gradually it will happen and more and more people will get on board. Humans are messed up, but that doesn't mean there's no hope.
I admire your belief, wish I had that.

So do you believe it's possible to achieve world peace?
HuggleyDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I admire your belief, wish I had that.

So do you believe it's possible to achieve world peace?

Thank you I try very hard to believe anything is possible because I don't think it's possible to get anything done when you approach it from a negative mindset.

As for world peace... I think we can certainly prevent a lot of violence that does happen, but I don't think it is possible to achieve worldwide peace indefinitely. Some people are born capable of awful things, and it's sods law that a few of them get into positions of power. Sometimes violence is the lesser of two evils.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads