(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
"I don't know what the **** I'm doing"
The answer to life is found.
idontevenbeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep! Some people don't like clapping hands (previous abuse or other situations) and at conferences we need to be especially considerate of everyone Jazz hands rock!
idontevenbeth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"I don't know what the **** I'm doing"
It's Hyperbole and a Half!
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This just goes to reinforce that the NUS are a bunch of ****wits.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by idontevenbeth)
It's Hyperbole and a Half!
I...I know?
idontevenbeth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I...I know?
I'm just saying in appreciation Good to find a new Allie fan
miscounted_time
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP did you actually read the article? It has nothing to do with feminism, it has to do with being mindful of people who have anxiety disorders.

Disclaimer: I'm not necessarily saying that their approach to this was the correct one but that's an entirely different topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep! Some people don't like clapping hands (previous abuse or other situations) and at conferences we need to be especially considerate of everyone Jazz hands rock!
I hope that's sarcasm

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingTiger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Women are generally anxious when they move out of their natural habitat. The kitchen.
idontevenbeth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingTiger)
Women are generally anxious when they move out of their natural habitat. The kitchen.

Haha good one! You get the original joke award well done
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by miscounted_time)
OP did you actually read the article? It has nothing to do with feminism, it has to do with being mindful of people who have anxiety disorders.

Disclaimer: I'm not necessarily saying that their approach to this was the correct one but that's an entirely different topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it has nothing do with feminism, why is it called the "feminist jazz hands"?
miscounted_time
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
If it has nothing do with feminism, why is it called the "feminist jazz hands"?
I hope you aren't serious because coming from you that would be disappointing, you often come across as a voice of reason.

In answer to your question however it was a conference to do with feminism so I would assume it was in the spirit of things or maybe they do have their very own specific version of jazz hands, who knows. What is clear however is that asking people to refrain from clapping was not due to feminism itself but asking people to be mindful of people who may safer from anxiety disorders.
The same thing could have been asked at any sort of meeting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by miscounted_time)
I hope you aren't serious because coming from you that would be disappointing, you often come across as a voice of reason.

In answer to your question however it was a conference to do with feminism so I would assume it was in the spirit of things or maybe they do have their very own specific version of jazz hands, who knows. What is clear however is that asking people to refrain from clapping was not due to feminism itself but asking people to be mindful of people who may safer from anxiety disorders.
The same thing could have been asked at any sort of meeting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So by your own reasoning it does have something to do with feminism. It may not be the reason they asked for refraining from clapping but it is still related even if it is a little tenuously to feminism.
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As ridiculous as the NUS is being, your eagerness to jump on this as an opportunity to keep bashing women is pathetic.
So Instinct
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I want to believe this is satire, but I've spent too much time on social media to make that sort of assumption
idontevenbeth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
I want to believe this is satire, but I've spent too much time on social media to make that sort of assumption
No no I'm being serious. At conferences it's important everyone is included, and when one in three women (and one in ten men, don't know statistics for those who don't align themselves with the gender binary) have been affected by sexual assault, many are abused too, it's important everyone has a good time at these conferences
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No no I'm being serious. At conferences it's important everyone is included, and when one in three women (and one in ten men, don't know statistics for those who don't align themselves with the gender binary) have been affected by sexual assault, many are abused too, it's important everyone has a good time at these conferences
So we should just ban all loud noises in case someone can't handle it?
idontevenbeth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
So we should just ban all loud noises in case someone can't handle it?
It's in a conference where a lot of people who may have been abused or senseitive to loud noises might be there. Like how you wouldn't tell a sexist joke as the majority of the audience will probably be women, it's just sensible to respect a possible majority of the audience.
Also, it's nice for people to respect others! I have a fear of water dripping on my face, it wouldn't be very nice for someone to throw liquid over my head.
Respect is nice!
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely the priority should be helping these people overcome their anxiety and get used to things like clapping rather than just hiding from the problem. They're going to be exposed to stuff like that in the 'real' world anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads