Are females more calmer than males? Watch

BB1523
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mancini)
Yes I realised that some may see it that way but I'm not here to be PC.
Hm, but yes it is the attractive ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smileyface97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BB1523)
What do you 'freak out' about lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mainly college work...tbh. All those deadlines and stuff stress me out! lol
BB1523
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smileyface97)
Mainly college work...tbh. All those deadlines and stuff stress me out! lol
Like just 'stress' or panic? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smileyface97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BB1523)
Like just 'stress' or panic? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both... Me and deadlines do not get on well... lol
Emily.97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't really have anything tangible to back this up, but I would have thought it would be the other way round.
Throughout school, it does always appear to be certain females that are insecure, over think things, and are really high in terms of self monitoring. It was more males that laughed things off. Although I think its probably that both males and females can be the opposite of calm, but females make it more obvious, and males conceal it/won't admit it (male pride perhaps).
BB1523
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smileyface97)
Both... Me and deadlines do not get on well... lol
Omg lol, I thought you'd be chilled out coz I kinda agree with the OP but everyone else disagrees lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zechs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emily.97)
I don't really have anything tangible to back this up, but I would have thought it would be the other way round.
Throughout school, it does always appear to be certain females that are insecure, over think things, and are really high in terms of self monitoring. It was more males that laughed things off. Although I think its probably that both males and females can be the opposite of calm, but females make it more obvious, and males conceal it/won't admit it (male pride perhaps).
Hello Emily

Thank you very much for writing this, it's good to hear it coming from a lady. You may know also that male suicide rates are higher and it's for this very reason perhaps as guys we do not talk to much about our problems for fear of shame and embarrassment. It's not the musculine thing to do, not the way we are brought up. Of course here we are discussing much smaller issues but it's all part of the same circle.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Wait. What's the opposite of calm?
Emily.97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Wait. What's the opposite of calm?
Could be a number of things (ie prone to worrying, anxiousness). Down to interpretation.
Anonymous #1
Could be a number of things (ie prone to worrying, anxiousness). Down to interpretation.
As a male, today I could feel a panic attack start to commence on the train up to London, I can't say i'm a relaxed individual even when I try.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's a bit sexist, but it is the pretty ones who look the calmest ngl
thats not sexist. How many girls and how many guys scream when a fat wasp comes in a room?
Emily.97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mancini)
Hello Emily

Thank you very much for writing this, it's good to hear it coming from a lady. You may know also that male suicide rates are higher and it's for this very reason perhaps as guys we do not talk to much about our problems for fear of shame and embarrassment. It's not the musculine thing to do, not the way we are brought up. Of course here we are discussing much smaller issues but it's all part of the same circle.
Male suicide rates are higher universally? What culture and time period are you referring to?

I definitely agree that men are almost indoctrinated, somewhat indirectly, to "man up", which is one of the most ridiculous social concepts I've ever heard of. Many probably assume that some males are calm/laid back, when really, certain worries/concerns are being internalised/repressed. I, personally feel that we're more likely to see a woman wear her heart on her sleeve and cry in public compared to a male. Although I am aware that that is quite a large claim to make, and individual differences need to be taken in to account.
After all, despite the fact that there are differences between men and women, we all have emotions and we experience very similar things in life. Nobody should be afraid to express themselves when worried about certain things.
Another
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Girls are better at masking their emotions, which is why they appear calmer

Honestly, if a guy is angry with you, you'll know. If a girl is angry with you... good luck.
Emily.97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a male, today I could feel a panic attack start to commence on the train up to London, I can't say i'm a relaxed individual even when I try.
But that's not necessarily explained by the fact that you're male.
So even when we discuss things like "which gender is calmer", we must be really tentative when considering what is causing this level of anxiety, as opposed to being calm.
phunky_fresh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This question just came to me: Are females calmer than males and if so why? In my experience and with some of the girls that I have been around at my uni, they just seem to be more composed and look more chilled than the males - is there a reason for this?

Are females just regularly a more calmer gender? :confused:
I think it just varies from person to person regardless of their sex
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bittr n swt)
thats not sexist. How many girls and how many guys scream when a fat wasp comes in a room?
Lol fat wasp- but that's kinda trivial, if we think about coping, awareness, body and relationships that might excel in being calmer. But being calm isn't the same as being rational
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Another)
Girls are better at masking their emotions, which is why they appear calmer

Honestly, if a guy is angry with you, you'll know. If a girl is angry with you... good luck.
Ok well how would a female react then?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by phunky_fresh)
I think it just varies from person to person regardless of their sex
I do believe sex plays a role
Zechs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Male suicide rates are higher universally? What culture and time period are you referring to?

I definitely agree that men are almost indoctrinated, somewhat indirectly, to "man up", which is one of the most ridiculous social concepts I've ever heard of. Many probably assume that some males are calm/laid back, when really, certain worries/concerns are being internalised/repressed. I, personally feel that we're more likely to see a woman wear her heart on her sleeve and cry in public compared to a male. Although I am aware that that is quite a large claim to make, and individual differences need to be taken in to account.
After all, despite the fact that there are differences between men and women, we all have emotions and we experience very similar things in life. Nobody should be afraid to express themselves when worried about certain things.
Here I am claiming in the west certainly Britain and USA. If you want you can check the latest bbc update, I can't post it now on my mobile, will inbox you. Won't be surprised if it's the same in countries like China. This is not to pit males against females just talking facts which can and have been backed up. Males have much more pressures whether in adolescent years or middle aged, right now there was a spike in man around there 40s who have gone through this. Will update you later if you don't mind.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Inside I'm incredibly stressed a lot of the time. But people say I am always really calm and cool about things. I'm just good at hiding it. Suppressing stuff is probbaly more a male thing?

I can get on the verge of panic attacks when at home worrying about something coming up but when I leave the house and I am actually in one of these situations I put on a calm persona. I'm just good at hiding it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads