GermanWings: Could Airlines implement this security Idea? Watch

Bern Herkins
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I still feel that crew should be able to have access to communication with Air Traffic Control when outside of the cockpit. You could save a lot of time trying to determine if an aircraft is in distress and whether or not to scramble a military plane to assess the situation if a member of crew had been able to communicate with ATC.

No response from cockpit, this doesnt give ATC any answers, could be technical issues or a range of other things. On the other hand, being able to talk to ATC from outside the cockpit = definitive answer. "Pilot has locked himself in cockpit" and there they have it, ATC knows whats going on.

And not so long ago there were talks of moving the cockpit down some and scrapping the windshield and using cameras and screens instead. (In my opinion, bad idea) but if it were to ever take off (no pun intended :P) then they may be able to implement a toilet into this new cockpit design.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bern Herkins)
I still feel that crew should be able to have access to communication with Air Traffic Control when outside of the cockpit. You could save a lot of time trying to determine if an aircraft is in distress and whether or not to scramble a military plane to assess the situation if a member of crew had been able to communicate with ATC.

No response from cockpit, this doesnt give ATC any answers, could be technical issues or a range of other things. On the other hand, being able to talk to ATC from outside the cockpit = definitive answer. "Pilot has locked himself in cockpit" and there they have it, ATC knows whats going on.

And not so long ago there were talks of moving the cockpit down some and scrapping the windshield and using cameras and screens instead. (In my opinion, bad idea) but if it were to ever take off (no pun intended :P) then they may be able to implement a toilet into this new cockpit design.
The same technical difficulties that could cut out the flight deck would cut out the cabin as well, rendering that entirely redundant. And a flight deck has other ways of communicating if the radio doesn't work.

And even if the ATC were able to discern that one pilot had locked themselves in, then what? No, we need methods that could prevent that happening in the first place.

I'd be astonished if that were the case, I think you're mistaken in that. And the cost of that would be tens of billions. No-one would ever go for it.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bern Herkins)

Your idea wouldn't have been of any help last Tuesday, anyway. Even if the pilot had spoken to someone on the ground, the plane would still have gone down.

The new rule of two people in there at all times costs nothing to implement, and has been put in straight away.

Airlines don't need to waste space on a toilet for the cockpit, especially on short flights. It's still a bit strange why the pilot last week did go for a toilet break, given that the flight was only an hour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads