New-found respect for Ed Miliband Watch

Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
So Ed won because he got more votes. I don't see anything wrong. The votes weren't from trade unions, they were from trade unionists. Ordinary people,ordinary workers.
It was 5 years ago, Ed won, get over it.
The point I'm making is that he didn't win out of some sensationalist view that he was a man of his principles unlike his brother. He won because he convinced the trade unions he was more left-wing than his brother.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
The point I'm making is that he didn't win out of some sensationalist view that he was a man of his principles unlike his brother. He won because he convinced the trade unions he was more left-wing than his brother.
What's your point? He is more left wing than his brother. He got more votes than his brother. He won.
Get over it. It was 5 years ago and is not relevant at all.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
I pray that Ed gets in. Some of us Christians/Jews believe we are entering a transition period of the blood moon triad. I hope G-d makes it certain that Ed is the man to lead our nation. We need a man of strong moral conviction to lead us in difficult times. We need a kingdom that is united and not divided because a nation of unity stays together and a divided kingdom falls apart during times of chaos.
this is New Age bull****.... nothing to do with Christians.
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JuliusDS92)
I hadn't really seen much of Miliband on air before but I seriously respect the spirit and strength of character which he exhibited yesterday. It takes real "toughness" (a word everyone in the studio seemed fixated on) to deal with the personal remarks he took from the audience and the interviewers (and which he is subjected to from the media and the public at large) and I admire his refusal to let Paxman intimidate him.

Kay Burley really turned my stomach.

I lost quite a bit of respect for Jeremy Paxman as well, whom I usually like. Even the audience was turning against him at the end. Even his "are you okay" question at the end came across a bit like an attempt to reinstate some sense of being on top of Miliband despite the fact that Miliband sh*t all over him.
It's there a video for this? I've been living in a dark cave! :eek:
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's your point? He is more left wing than his brother. He got more votes than his brother. He won.
Get over it. It was 5 years ago and is not relevant at all.
Jesus.

Here is what you originally said:

Have a mentor who told me that his good friend, who knows the Milibands well, said the reason why labour went for Ed over David is that they believed that David would do anything to become prime minister while Ed would hold his moral ground. Interesting I thought.
This bogus alternative explanation is the reason I have been giving the accurate one, which is that Ed won because he convinced the trade unions he was more left-wing than David.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also complete *******s. Ed won because he won the votes of almost every trade union after persuading them that he was more left-wing than his brother.
and?

He may have been doing the Blair thing of just pretending to be left wing or right wing when it suits him or he may be genuine. Only time will tell. Unless you got insider information. The unions new his brother was a definite blairite. They obviously were not going to support David :rolleyes:

"David is that they believed that David would do anything to become prime minister while Ed would hold his moral ground. Interesting I thought." That will have played a part in the unions thinking he is left wing if Ed gives off that kind of impression.
soanonymous
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The fact that there are people out there who like the Labour policies but wouldn't vote for them in the elections in May because Ed Miliband looks 'goofy' goes to show that these people have no ****ing clue about politics and what their vote actually means.
You're not voting for the sexiest Prime Minister, you're voting for the party that is best for this country.

There should be an intelligence test that you have to pass in order to be able to vote.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
this is New Age bull****.... nothing to do with Christians.
:teehee:
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
and?

He may have been doing the Blair thing of just pretending to be left wing or right wing when it suits him or he may be genuine. Only time will tell. Unless you got insider information. The unions new his brother was a definite blairite. They obviously were not going to support David :rolleyes:
I don't understand why everyone finds this so difficult to understand. The poster I was originally responding to said that Ed won because he convinced the party he was more principled...by all accounts this isn't true. He won because he convinced the unions he was more left-wing.

"David is that they believed that David would do anything to become prime minister while Ed would hold his moral ground. Interesting I thought." That will have played a part in the unions thinking he is left wing if Ed gives off that kind of impression.
How? Loyalty to principles doesn't define these principles as being left-wing. I also find it extremely hard to believe that even the unions would have been so stupid as to see a man who was willing to steal the crown from his older brother as being defined by loyalty. It doesn't make sense. Ed won very narrowly because of a disproportionate amount of support from the unions. The unions supported him because he was the lead left-wing candidate. The idea that these people supported him because they saw him as a man of principle is ridiculous to me and not reflected by the evidence.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Jesus.

Here is what you originally said:

This bogus alternative explanation is the reason I have been giving the accurate one, which is that Ed won because he convinced the trade unions he was more left-wing than David.
I never said that.

That's not me you quoted.
Yeah, being left wing is being more principled.
Amhorangerdgerriug
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am a Tory really (although on the leftmost side of the party), and will be voting Conservative this year as only the Conservatives have a realistic plan for the future - all well and good talking about everything we want, but we can only have the public services we can afford, and all Labour will do is pass the buck to the next generation who will end up paying for their profligacy. However, as a person, I secretly rather like Miliband; he seems like a reasonably genial guy and, whilst I think much of what he says is naive and misguided, I am convinced that he truly believes in it. If only Labour had any concrete policies that aren't tied up in hollow populism I might actually have been swayed by the guy.

I pray that Ed gets in. Some of us Christians/Jews believe we are entering a transition period of the blood moon triad. I hope G-d makes it certain that Ed is the man to lead our nation. We need a man of strong moral conviction to lead us in difficult times. We need a kingdom that is united and not divided because a nation of unity stays together and a divided kingdom falls apart during times of chaos.

EDIT: just a question, was anybody else underwhelmed/terrified by the low quality of the questioning by both Paxman and the general public? I don't care about who Cameron keeps as friends, I don't care about Miliband's relationship with his brother and I also don't care if he's perceived as a bit of a nerd (although the prospect of him dealing with Putin is petrifying and hilarious in equal measure). Was this a reflection of the general idiocy/vapidity of the electorate or just poor on the show's behalf? Interested to hear thoughts...
noobynoo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, he doesn't seem so much of a tool lately. It would almost not be embarrassing having him as or prime minister.

The fact that that's the best you can say about our politicians is a bit sad. We're voting for the person who is least embarrassing. The least tool-like tool.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I never said that.

That's not me you quoted.
Then you were picking up fag ends without taking the care to make sure your responded actually fitted into the discussion.

Yeah, being left wing is being more principled.
Silly.
Blues Clues
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
David Cameron is an excellent speaker. Ed Miliband, comparatively, is not. That works in the latter's favour. Miliband seemed so much more concerned about morals and righting wrongs and seemed more genuine and honest; Paxman made Ed Miliband's life much harder, yet he still came out on top despite the stressful situation and without complimenting the audience/thanking them/taking things slowly. Not that this was bad of Cameron, but rather, covered up a lot of failures in his responses.

Ed is an atheist of Jewish parentage. I like the contrast in this.
Amy. J S
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
I am a Tory really (although on the leftmost side of the party), and will be voting Conservative this year as only the Conservatives have a realistic plan for the future - all well and good talking about everything we want, but we can only have the public services we can afford, and all Labour will do is pass the buck to the next generation who will end up paying for their profligacy. However, as a person, I secretly rather like Miliband; he seems like a reasonably genial guy and, whilst I think much of what he says is naive and misguided, I am convinced that he truly believes in it. If only Labour had any concrete policies that aren't tied up in hollow populism I might actually have been swayed by the guy.

EDIT: just a question, was anybody else underwhelmed/terrified by the low quality of the questioning by both Paxman and the general public? I don't care about who Cameron keeps as friends, I don't care about Miliband's relationship with his brother and I also don't care if he's perceived as a bit of a nerd (although the prospect of him dealing with Putin is petrifying and hilarious in equal measure). Was this a reflection of the general idiocy/vapidity of the electorate or just poor on the show's behalf? Interested to hear thoughts...

In answer to your edit, I thought the audiences questions, and Jeremy Paxman's for that matter, were quite tame and often irrelevant. I've got to admit, I thought questions would be a little more meaningful- or at least consistently meaningful, rather than all this bs about Ed Milliband not being "tough enough" etc. When you see others programmes, Question Time, Bite the Ballot Leader's Live etc, the audience seem to asked more fiery questions. Questions from the audience on the Chan 4 debate just seemed a bit flat.:sad:
Amy. J S
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blues Clues)
David Cameron is an excellent speaker. Ed Miliband, comparatively, is not. That works in the latter's favour. Miliband seemed so much more concerned about morals and righting wrongs and seemed more genuine and honest; Paxman made Ed Miliband's life much harder, yet he still came out on top despite the stressful situation and without complimenting the audience/thanking them/taking things slowly. Not that this was bad of Cameron, but rather, covered up a lot of failures in his responses.

Ed is an atheist of Jewish parentage. I like the contrast in this.

Completely agree!
pryngles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a shame he's the representative of labour, but yeah, Ed for PM
TheCynicalChild
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cameron dodged every single question Paxman asked him and tried his best to cover up the failures of the Tories which was just cringe worthy to watch. Ed genuinely seems to care and it's about time we had someone up there who does.
Amhorangerdgerriug
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amy. J S)
In answer to your edit, I thought the audiences questions, and Jeremy Paxman's for that matter, were quite tame and often irrelevant. I've got to admit, I thought questions would be a little more meaningful- or at least consistently meaningful, rather than all this bs about Ed Milliband not being "tough enough" etc. When you see others programmes, Question Time, Bite the Ballot Leader's Live etc, the audience seem to asked more fiery questions. Questions from the audience on the Chan 4 debate just seemed a bit flat.:sad:
To be honest I'm not convinced that Question Time is much better. Have you seen the Harry & Paul Question Time sketch? It's brilliant and sadly very accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tU...o&spfreload=10
Amy. J S
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
To be honest I'm not convinced that Question Time is much better. Have you seen the harry & Paul Question Time sketch? It's brilliant and sadly very accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tU...o&spfreload=10
I agree, I was just trying to use a comparison. No, I haven't- I'll check it out.

EDIT: Oh dear, why do British people insist to make satire of a our politicians? :hahaha::grin:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads