If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose? Watch

2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did biology, chemistry, music and AS maths. I wouldn't change the first 3 bit I definitely wouldn't have done maths!
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did:
A2: Maths, Further Maths, Physics
AS: Chemistry, General Studies

Definitely wouldn't swap my A2 subjects (although I'd like to have done FP3 instead of M3 in further maths).

I struggled with Chemistry (got a C). I'd probably swap it with an essay writing subject because I don't really have much confidence in my writing skills now, and I think it would have been useful for my degree (maths) because I've done projects which involved some writing and I really struggled with getting my ideas across well with words. Also I've sent applications off for things where I've had to write about myself, and I just found it really hard to write even 100 words about myself.
Helpme.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing Eco Maths Chem Bio, I would've done Maths Further Maths Chem Eco.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Biology, Maths, Media and Physics at AS. I enjoyed them all, but did terribly in Physics. I probably would have switched it out for FM or a second essay subject like History, purely because my media grade is suffering at the moment because I have absolutely no essay writing skills.
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im doing Maths, History, Psychology and Biology, if i were to choose again I would keep the first 2 and do Physics and FM
Michael_Hedaux
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't have changed my subjects, I just would have worked a lot harder
TheonlyMrsHolmes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it was possible I would have done biology!
leahdw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing Maths, French and Music (AS German and Further Maths). With hindsight, I would have just opted for single Maths, dropped it, and carried on with German.
amelimoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nuclear Ghost)
I chose Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry. I'm going to be doing Physics at University, so I'd stick with the first three, which are the three I do now in Year 13. Chemistry, however, I didn't enjoy so much, or do as well in as in the others, so in its place, I may have picked IT, Economics, or even English. In that order of preference.
As it says above, If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose?
Posted from TSR Mobile
I do English Literature, Biology and Geography, If I could pick my Alevels again I would probably choose biology, geography and chemistry because I really miss chemistry and english really doesn't compliment my other subjects and has made getting into uni really difficult as I didn't take chemistry but want to study genetics or biology at uni
Chihiro_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AS: Psychology, Art, Environmental Studies and English Lit

A2: Dropped art

I really enjoy Psychology (uni choice) and Environmental Studies, but I'd swap the other two for any of:

Maths
Biology
Philosophy
History

When I made my a level choices I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I just chose subjects that I thought sounded enjoyable. I wish I'd stretched myself a little more.
jammy4041
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by missdecember)
Hey, I came across your reply and it really relates to my situation!
Basically I am in yr11 and am thinking of changing my a level choices which are currently:
Geography
Maths
Further Maths
Physics

I'm thinking of changing geography into history but I'm not too sure if that's a good decision.

I love the human side of the geography a level, but I don't like the physical side (rivers and coasts).
The thing is I didn't do history for gcse so I don't know if I would be at a huge disadvantage, the topics are the English Revolution and Tsarist and Communist Russia.

Would geography or history compliment my interest in modern society?

Also, why did you not do so well in further maths? I have always had a talent for maths but now i'm doubting my ability to cope FM :/

Btw I'm thinking of going into either engineering/architecture , politics or law... but knowing me,that's likely to change in a few years lol
Well, study what you love, especially if it's a fluid situation. I'd thought I was going into into engineering too or something before I started. In your situation, I would study History, Geography, Maths and Physics, even if Further Mathematics is 'preferred' for Physics. If nothing else, for example, that Maths A-level would allow you to do say, History and Economics down the line, if you would like.

I think the Geography at A-Level could be more pertinent to the human side of things. In your situation, I would actually try and study both, as least to AS-level, because I think they both complement your interest in modern society, and they mesh so well together.

A-Level history is completely different to GCSE history, so I don't think you will be disadvantage too much, if you're willing to do the effort. One thing you may have to do is speak to the person who runs the sixth form, and the person who is head of history.

With regard to Further Mathematics, I had a decent grasp on the content, but when it came to exam time, I couldn't put it into practice. That, and with the Simplex Algorithm, I kept running out of time. Fortunately, my 'Mechanics' module was good enough, that it moved from being a FM module to a mathematics module, which actually helped, I guess.

I know Furthe Mathematics is 'preferred' for Physics, but, at least for AS-Level, there were quite a few who only did Mathematics. Even for A2-Level, there was one person who did just maths, and she had the best grade, iirc. It's an obstacle that could be overcome, if you're willing to work put in more effort..
princxsa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do English lit, sociology and history.
I would prefer to do English Lang or government and politics instead of sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would have picked German over Chemistry
Stepidermis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wish I'd done Biology instead of Chemistry.

Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry (AS Psychology AS English)
cathrg26
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't change them. I took Maths, History and Economics at A2, dropping Further Maths at AS. I would've liked to take French to A levels, but realistically, the most I could probably achieve would be a B from it. Studying Economics now at uni
JVD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What I did:
AS - Business Studies, Economics, Psychology and Philosophy & Ethics
A2 (currently doing) - Business Studies, Economics, Psychology

What I wish I did:
AS - Business Studies, Economics, Biology and D.T
A2 - Business Studies, Economics, Biology or D.T

Reasoning: I had D.T as my fourth AS but did very well in my GCSE maths so tried that for a few weeks. By the time I decided I hated it, I couldn't choose D.T so opted for Philosophy & Ethics, which I did relatively badly in.
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maths, Further Maths and Philosophy (finishing Philosophy in a couple of months). I would not change anything.
Plentycarbon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently doing Further Maths, Maths, Chem, Phys and French. I wish instead of Chem I had done Spanish or Art. I only like half of my chem syllabus and the straight up memorising (not much critical thought) for organic, inorganic and industrial chem is too much. I also wish I could have done Performing Arts, but I don't think I would have gotten the best grades at that.
tcameron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography, General Studies.

I would have chosen Philosophy or Psychology instead of Geography.
And ommitted General Studies altogether but the sixth form I go to makes everyone do General Studies AS.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
for my A levels i did english language and literature (combined), geography, psychology and IT (at AS)

I would have kept on doing geography (uni choice) and psychology but i would have done Geology for AS and A2 instead of english lang and lit. i would have done english lang and lit but only to AS, i would have avoided IT altogether. I love studying physical geography and have an interest in geology but at the time i had no idea how interesting geology could be so i didn't take it, it is probably one of my biggest regrets not studying it at A level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (119)
64.67%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.2%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.13%

Watched Threads