Turn on thread page Beta

Relationship struggling because of the election? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotliketea)
    hahaha my best friend's boyfriend yelled at me in the middle of a train station yesterday because i'm a torie but he's labour , it got pretty heated tbh and my best friend was between us going "GUYS LET'S GO TO COSTA COSTA IS FUN"
    I can actually imagine this :lol:

What actually happened to be exact?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I could go out with a diehard Tory, even if she was a superbabe..

OP basically the things you find rewarding about eachother have to outweigh the things you don't see eye to eye on. If they do you can come to terms with the differences.

ReputationRep:
    break up with her if she's a tory supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotliketea)
    hahaha my best friend's boyfriend yelled at me in the middle of a train station yesterday because i'm a torie but he's labour , it got pretty heated tbh and my best friend was between us going "GUYS LET'S GO TO COSTA COSTA IS FUN"

if it's actual anger , don't discuss it. i usually find that although people are passionate about it , there's no real anger or hatred towards the other person that grows - i always find it interesting listening to other people's political views

on a side note though , my best friend did vote green specifically to avoid arguing with her boyfriend :thumbsdown: never had an issue with my boyfriend , i like hearing his views even though he votes green too
    Excellent anecdote. I like your friends peace making credentials. Mind you, if she had suggested Starbucks it would have been more in line with your capitalist Tory ethos. What happened next, did you all have a consolatory latte together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I can actually imagine this :lol:

What actually happened to be exact?
    um we'd just come out of an exam and my best friend asked why i voted for conservatives , and i'm more interested in the constructional side of politics (the exam was public law so that gives you an idea) so i just said i don't really understand the policies in great depth , but the tories support my family more than labour would.

he then rounded on me saying that all the tories do is watch the rich get richer and take away from the poor. he then got on to pensions and i said how labour were unfair in declaring they would take the state pension away from those who 'have enough' , and i said that wasn't fair because you've worked hard for it , why should the state declare what is 'enough' and give it to someone who perhaps didn't work as hard (classic torie mentality i know).

he then went BALLISTIC , like people were staring as he was like ARE YOU SAYING PEOPLE ON BENEFITS DON'T WORK BY CHOICE and i was confused because... we were talking about pensions , not benefits , and suddenly i was a **** for thinking people on benefits deliberately don't work. so i said no , i understand that some people can't afford to come off them , in fact i know a family who get more money on benefits than off due to the cost of childcare etc. but he couldn't hear me over his ranting about 'typical tories , thinking the poor are always out to get their 'hard earned money' when it's usually just inherited'. i also tried to suggest that the tories have done a lot for employment in the UK , but still not enough admittedly and he was just yelling "THEY NEED TO UP BENEFITS AND EMPLOYMENT WHY DON'T YOU GET THAT"

i was very uncomfortable it was so stressful i swear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Excellent anecdote. I like your friends peace making credentials. Mind you, if she had suggested Starbucks it would have been more in line with your capitalist Tory ethos. What happened next, did you all have a consolatory latte together?
    no actually haha he stormed off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuckMeBeautiful)
    :rofl: both
    Removed my message as your response clarified what I was about to say haha

ReputationRep:
    Never been an issue for me, thankfully never had a UKIP or BNP supporting girlfriend, or to be honest any who were that keen on political discussion.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi There,

I've been with my girlfriend only about 8 months, but we've never fought so much until this election. We have completely opposite political views and are both rather defensive people who don't like to back down and accept "defeat" to each other, even though we both know we won't win each other over. Has anyone else struggled this general election in their relationship? I never thought this would be the reason me and my girlfriend are fighting so much!
    YES. THIS.

I'm more Centre Right whereas he is left, we can agree on some things but yesterday everything he said annoyed me so I didn't respond properly. This led to be me saying I dont like to argue with him blah blah and him replying asking if I had a backbone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    There's no need to fight:no: Just accept that you have differing opinions regarding politics and stop discussing it!
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    Just don't discuss the subject
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I think being on opposite sides is fine, as long as you're both respectful about it.

Like I didn't mind tory friends and such until they started gloating and just disregarding voting for labour as stupidity and such.
    (Original post by askew116)
    I've heard it all now!

Just agree to disagree and never bring the subject up again.
    No. It isn't just 'political views' and 'oh politics who cares'.

It's about your norms, values, your philosophy in life. If you are a right-wing conservative and free-marketeer and you're dating a Green party member you might as well be Orthodox Rabbi and date an Imam. It makes no sense.

(Original post by redferry)
    Having opposing political beliefs suggests you have a completely different set of moral values. I think its unlikely a relationship can last under those conditions.
    One person who actually understands the broader issue here.

(Original post by EdmundWoodstock)
    Are you serious? It seems a bit daft to fight and let a relationship crumble over politics. There's nothing wrong with having different views, just learn to get on and if political chats are causing too many arguments then talk about something else instead.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Really helps labour supporters are especially vocal atm.

If FB is actually a real insight into our future, according to labour supporters every single working class person will be killed over the next 5 years, children will have their clothes stolen off their backs and the NHS will be a smouldering crater of radioactive dust.

Just don't discuss politics with a partner if you're opposite ends of the spectrum. Generally speaking after a long relationship you'll eventually vote for the same party. Personal circumstance does wonders to a persons political ideals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Really helps labour supporters are especially vocal atm.

If FB is actually a real insight into our future, according to labour supporters every single working class person will be killed over the next 5 years, children will have their clothes stolen off their backs and the NHS will be a smouldering crater of radioactive dust.

Just don't discuss politics with a partner if you're opposite ends of the spectrum. Generally speaking after a long relationship you'll eventually vote for the same party. Personal circumstance does wonders to a persons political ideals.
    I'm sorry but this is so funny.The exaggerations lately make it seem like everyone will be dead by the next general election.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by WalkingTolerance)
    No. It isn't just 'political views' and 'oh politics who cares'.

It's about your norms, values, your philosophy in life. If you are a right-wing conservative and free-marketeer and you're dating a Green party member you might as well be Orthodox Rabbi and date an Imam. It makes no sense.

One person who actually understands the broader issue here.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :facepalm2:
    This,if their political values come from differing values and morals then they might actually also disagree on many other things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
    I'm sorry but this is so funny.The exaggerations lately make it seem like everyone will be dead by the next general election.
    The annoying thing I actually saw friends post things along the line of
    "Thank's britain, now my child and everyone else's children have no future now"
    "will any working class people be alive at the next election?"
    "Tories are literally killing people through their policies" (<- Which sadly is a reality of 'all' parties political policies).
    "Why would any mother vote conservative?"

While I agree it's bad for some people, if that was actually the case for the majority THEY WOULD NOT OF WON.....

Hardline political supporters generally have this arrogant view that every other voter who does not vote for their party are mentally handicapped or complete ethical and moral monsters.

ReputationRep:
    If my boyfriend voted conservatives then we probably would have argued as well. Luckily he didn't. Also, if he was anything like those stuck up tories at my university then we definitely wouldn't have been together as long as we have. I think this election has made a lot of people realise that the party you support actually says a lot about your morals and beliefs so it actually sounds a pretty reasonable thing to argue about.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you both have your head up your arses, congrats you're perfect for each other!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.