Turn on thread page Beta

who voted conservative seeing as everyone I speak to is angry?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ritterschaft)
    Perhaps the right wing will always prevail in the end because disillusioned by Labour BS, people question why the government is stealing their money in taxation. Look at Putin he gets over 50% of the vote and he doesn't even have to rig it, it's ironic how people call Russia undemocratic and he has a majority Cameron could only dream of

Is this serious? Putin's biggest opponent was killed in "unrevealed" circumstances. Because of a law Putin passed, gay people can actually oppressed and attacked without any consequences. You don't need to rig it to unfairly gain power by intimidating. But he does rig it anyway.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iolations.html
    Not the best source but first one I found and bothered to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ritterschaft)
    Did I say that? Disillusionment seems only to come about from yet anotherlabour mess
    Then what did you mean by saying the right wing will always prevail?

Keep stuttering and stumbling over your sorry words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    The reason why you don't hear much people celebrating the Tory win is because deep down, those voters know that they voted with less morality, than those who voted Labour.

They voted for a party which has and continues to greatly reduce the quality of life for our vulnerable (especially our disabled, see the DPAC), the mentally ill, our elderly, and children born into humble circumstances.
    Because the Torys are never the party for the people, they don't care about the above because they aren't important.

Tory voters also voted for a party which actively reduces the quality of healthcare it's people receives.

So that is why Tory voters don't shout about it, because deep down they know it's more immoral. But they don't give a damn because they are thinking purely out of their own self interest- having to pay less ****ing taxes. Which is unlikely anyway.
    This is so true, I attend a grammar school where almost everyone voted conservative, it saddens and angers me to know that everyone around me is excessively wealthy and comfortable yet voted in the hope they'll get even wealthier, rather than vote for those living less fortunate lives and who need most of our help.

The ability to empathise is fast disappearing in some, and this scares me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamintorture)
    How do we know it isn't a fix and we are actually not living in a democracy????
    I will enjoy every minute of the next 5 years watching you suffer, I will sit watching for every minute of the day Labour supporters suffering, I can not wait, It is lovely watching "people" like you in pain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarskinz)
    This is funnier.
    nah that one's not as funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamintorture)
    How do we know it isn't a fix and we are actually not living in a democracy????
    I voted conservative.

You have a small circle of friends don't you? You find it hard to believe that people hold different opinions to you?

ReputationRep:
    The voice of change has always been much louder than the voice of stasis. Because change has to be campaigned for. Stasis doesn't have to be fought and persuaded about to the same extent because of it's nature.

Also the conservative voters have done their bit, they voted so now they have nothing to do as it is the result they wanted. Shouting about it makes no difference to them so why would they?

Also the demographics - young people are less likely to vote conservative statistically, and the majority of people on here are young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by It's_Ailie)
    The voice of change has always been much louder than the voice of stasis. Because change has to be campaigned for. Stasis doesn't have to be fought and persuaded about to the same extent because of it's nature.

Also the conservative voters have done their bit, they voted so now they have nothing to do as it is the result they wanted. Shouting about it makes no difference to them so why would they?

Also the demographics - young people are less likely to vote conservative statistically, and the majority of people on here are young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    also as people become more and more educated about politics, they become more conservative, which is why the older you are, the more likely you'd vote for them.

ReputationRep:
    i voted UKIP as i thought they were more right wing than Dave ?

Name:  56b39aca_o.jpeg
Views: 92
Size:  58.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Me, George Grant is amazinggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    also as people become more and more educated about politics, they become more conservative, which is why the older you are, the more likely you'd vote for them.
    Well, in general.
    Not all conservative policies are good. Not all other parties policies are bad.
    Who people vote for depends on their situation.
    But, yes, generally as people gain more experience of the economy more begin to realise that austerity is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Mr S, we all know i'm not one of those people. I would never lower myself to the level of somebody who cannot debate the substance.

Fox hunting won't pass, it's a free vote. Cameron just wants to appease his back benches.
    I know you're not, but in my experience right-wingers do seem to be more follow the leader, impressed by the big daddy types, black and white thinking, and like simplistic explanations for things based on individuals and their traits ("poor people are lazy" rather than big systemic ones. We know that left-wingers are better at integrating conflicting information and I really do see far more black-and-white thinking on the right rather than the left.

I don't really know how to phrase this without sounding too judgemental, and it's hard to separate what might be my bias from genuine observation, but I hope you can work with me and see what I mean. I really think it is a fundamental psychological divide which is expressed in political alignment and explains why the left always splits and bickers but not nearly so much the right.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in general.
    Not all conservative policies are good. Not all other parties policies are bad.
    Who people vote for depends on their situation.
    But, yes, generally as people gain more experience of the economy more begin to realise that austerity is necessary.
    I wonder why a crushing majority of professional academic economists, across a range of schools, agree that austerity is an awful idea which has harmed the UK and every other country which tries it.

Could it possibly be that our rulers - political and economic - have vested interests in oppressing us, or could it be that they're stupid and over-promoted due to their privilege?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    I wonder why a crushing majority of professional academic economists, across a range of schools, agree that austerity is an awful idea which has harmed the UK and every other country which tries it.

Could it possibly be that our rulers - political and economic - have vested interests in oppressing us, or could it be that they're stupid and over-promoted due to their privilege?
    Of course we can't continue with austerity forever, but with the situation our economy was in we needed it. It served its purpose, the economy is now stronger. I agree it won't continue to work, but at the time it was important as much as it may have felt like a bad thing, and a lot of people don't see that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I wonder why the ftse100 does better when conservatives get into power. The economy is better without labour or snp for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    I know you're not, but in my experience right-wingers do seem to be more follow the leader, impressed by the big daddy types, black and white thinking, and like simplistic explanations for things based on individuals and their traits ("poor people are lazy" rather than big systemic ones. We know that left-wingers are better at integrating conflicting information and I really do see far more black-and-white thinking on the right rather than the left.

I don't really know how to phrase this without sounding too judgemental, and it's hard to separate what might be my bias from genuine observation, but I hope you can work with me and see what I mean. I really think it is a fundamental psychological divide which is expressed in political alignment and explains why the left always splits and bickers but not nearly so much the right.
    = can't make their minds up
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by a10)

I found this quite funny lol
    Edbae he just gave up and sat back down LOOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    I wonder why the ftse100 does better when conservatives get into power. The economy is better without labour or snp for that matter.
    Business owners literally know ****-all about the economy. Their view is too narrow. I am studying business, and the simplistic, pseudo-scientific views on offer are everywhere.

The reason is that the Tories promote profit. They allow companies to work their workers harder with exploitative labour conditions and so on. Thus, companies profit, the FTSE goes up.

But are the people better off? Clearly not, and indeed, even the country may not be, as the FTSE 100 are multinational companies with the means to offshore and hide profits from the taxman.

We want to hammer the FTSE 100 and promote small British businesses, which in any case are acknowledged by right and left to be the true engines of our economy. So lower taxes and employment burdens for small businesses, while hiking them up hard on big business. Big and small business are not and never have been on the same side.

"The economy" does not by any means equate to "can big businesses make big money": quite the opposite, the economy is about using the power of innovation and productivity to make the people and businesses and state all better off. That is better if big business is hammered and small business stimulated.

The FTSE going up is not a sign of a strong economy, it's a sign of an economy being pillaged of its wealth, not only because of the concentration of wealth with private individuals, but because so much profit is being offshored or invested in fast-growing overseas operations.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Business owners literally know ****-all about the economy. Their view is too narrow. I am studying business, and the simplistic, pseudo-scientific views on offer are everywhere.

The reason is that the Tories promote profit. They allow companies to work their workers harder with exploitative labour conditions and so on. Thus, companies profit, the FTSE goes up.

But are the people better off? Clearly not, and indeed, even the country may not be, as the FTSE 100 are multinational companies with the means to offshore and hide profits from the taxman.

We want to hammer the FTSE 100 and promote small British businesses, which in any case are acknowledged by right and left to be the true engines of our economy. So lower taxes and employment burdens for small businesses, while hiking them up hard on big business. Big and small business are not and never have been on the same side.

"The economy" does not by any means equate to "can big businesses make big money": quite the opposite, the economy is about using the power of innovation and productivity to make the people and businesses and state all better off. That is better if big business is hammered and small business stimulated.

The FTSE going up is not a sign of a strong economy, it's a sign of an economy being pillaged of its wealth, not only because of the concentration of wealth with private individuals, but because so much profit is being offshored or invested in fast-growing overseas operations.
    I agree with promoting small business, but it does show a good economy in my view. I take it by your pro small business stance, you're pro-ukip?

ReputationRep:
    Of course we can't continue with austerity forever, but with the situation our economy was in we needed it. It served its purpose, the economy is now stronger. I agree it won't continue to work, but at the time it was important as much as it may have felt like a bad thing, and a lot of people don't see that.
    We have had austerity at 1% of GDP since 2013, mainly achieved by pumping up the housing bubble (so it's not real money, but hey ho), which approximates the Labour plan in 2010. Austerity at 4% as from 2010-12 was too much and shrank the economy - we have still not recovered from those lost three years.

Austerity is not always 100% bad, but it certainly should not be the cornerstone of economic policy or an article of dogma. We certainly didn't NEED austerity in 2010, we weren't Greece and could never be mainly because we have control of our own currency.

As for borrowing, although Osborne's austerity damage resulted in the downgrade of our credit status, we till have lower borrowing costs than ever before, and we should certainly during the coming term be borrowing for investment, not imposing even more austerity.

Thus, I supported Labour's austerity-lite economic plan at the election. -
    And Osborne seems to have followed Labour's plan from 2010 too.
    That's what happens when you have a plan designed by actual trained economists with 20 years' Treasury experience rather than a towel-folding aristocrat who's never had to keep to so much as a personal booze budget in his life.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.