Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagafacea1)
    Yeah I meant school year sorry, my head always goes "year=school year" when talking about anything remotely related to school.
    Although what do you mean by "applying next year if I get rejected", how?
    gap year pretty much but it's a bit harder but im guessing still possible for maths degrees

also why do I find your profile pic disturbing.. no idea why but I just do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    gap year pretty much but it's a bit harder but im guessing still possible for maths degrees

Why do you always do this OMG!! Anytime I start thinking "oh he doesn't seem so bad" you go and ruin it! lol
    I'm really NOT sure why you find it "disturbing", never heard that before.

ReputationRep:

Oh and I think I would also like a gap year, though as you said it's not such a good idea for maths.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you always do this OMG!! Anytime I start thinking "oh he doesn't seem so bad" you go and ruin it! lol
    I'm really NOT sure why you find it "disturbing", never heard that before.
    'he doesn't seem so bad'? what? are u refering to me or the person in the profile pic? I'm honestly confused

ReputationRep:
    'he doesn't seem so bad'? what? are u refering to me or the person in the profile pic? I'm honestly confused
    You of course, the person in the profile is ME! lol

ReputationRep:
    You of course, the person in the profile is ME! lol
    have we conversed before? the only thing I remember about you outside this thread is you making this thread a while back about how to differentiate xy = 1 for STEP or something

ReputationRep:
    have we conversed before? the only thing I remember about you outside this thread is you making this thread a while back about how to differentiate xy = 1 for STEP or something
    Not really, but I've read some of your threads and posts; which have been hit and miss when it comes to troll territory.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, but I've read some of your threads and posts; which have been hit and miss when it comes to troll territory.
    yeah that sounds about right. Sometimes I make threads just to see what reactions I can get out of people while othertimes I make threads for well, the same reason most people make threads.
    Sometimes the responses I can get are quite amusing :P the best response I got wasn't from TSR though. On some other forum I photoshopped an image and it set off several hundred angry posts and the company had to step in and say it was fake

ReputationRep:
    yeah that sounds about right. Sometimes I make threads just to see what reactions I can get out of people while othertimes I make threads for well, the same reason most people make threads.
    Sometimes the responses I can get are quite amusing :P the best response I got wasn't from TSR though. On some other forum I photoshopped an image and it set off several hundred angry posts and the company had to step in and say it was fake
    lol where can I find it?

ReputationRep:
    lol where can I find it?
    http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...1#post48726226
    you won't get it if you won't play the game though
    It's a team game and there are some fairly vague and ambiguous rules that you must work as a team or you get banned, and the thread basically says 'I got banned for picking an unpopular strategy'

ReputationRep:
    It's a team game and there are some fairly vague and ambiguous rules that you must work as a team or you get banned, and the thread basically says 'I got banned for picking an unpopular strategy'
    I know about it, I've played Dota 2 for a bit, which I believe is similar?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going through the comments and I can't with this

ReputationRep:
    I know about it, I've played Dota 2 for a bit, which I believe is similar?
    yeah, it's quite similar.
    Basically I picked a spell that returned mana instead of a more useful spell (like dota's equivalent of the Blink Dagger), and pretended to get banned for it. The spell that returned mana is pretty much never used except by new players for which it relieves the pressure of having to mana manage it, and I was using it some medium/high level ranked matches.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it's quite similar.
    Basically I picked a spell that returned mana instead of a more useful spell (like dota's equivalent of the Blink Dagger), and pretended to get banned for it. The spell that returned mana is pretty much never used except by new players for which it relieves the pressure of having to mana manage it, and I was using it some medium/high level ranked matches.
    Do you still play the game? If so, which is better Dota or LoL?

ReputationRep:
    Do you still play the game? If so, which is better Dota or LoL?
    I've never played Dota but I've played League up until I got the diamond rank. (which is reasonably high, I put thousands of hours into the game.)

The game itself was quite fun imo, and it was fun because there were so many strategies that I could try. But ultimately, it was I think a bit too fun for me, and I ended up being completely addicted which has negatively impacted my studies, and I ended up doing next to no work academically for 3 years.

I haven't played it all this year (partly because my boarding school banned it, which was kind of annoying for the first few weeks but now i broke free from my addiction) and substituted the game for chess. I'm amazed by how much academic progress I've made after putting the game down.

Yeah it's fun but I wouldn't recommend playing its simply too addicting.

It's not one of those games that you just play for a bit and it lets you gently put it down, or eventually you run out of content and you stop playing. It's a game that pretty much expects you to dump hours and hours into it.

ReputationRep:
    I've never played Dota but I've played League up until I got the diamond rank. (which is reasonably high, I put thousands of hours into the game.)

The game itself was quite fun imo, and it was fun because there were so many strategies that I could try. But ultimately, it was I think a bit too fun for me, and I ended up being completely addicted which has negatively impacted my studies, and I ended up doing next to no work academically for 3 years.

I haven't played it all this year (partly because my boarding school banned it, which was kind of annoying for the first few weeks but now i broke free from my addiction) and substituted the game for chess. I'm amazed by how much academic progress I've made after putting the game down.

Yeah it's fun but I wouldn't recommend playing its simply too addicting.

It's not one of those games that you just play for a bit and it lets you gently put it down, or eventually you run out of content and you stop playing. It's a game that pretty much expects you to dump hours and hours into it.
    Oh don't worry, I get bored REALLY FAST. Every game I've played lasted at max 4 months and then either got deleted or forgotten. For example Civilization 5, I've played about two complete games (2 weeks), and that's it. I love the game, but I'm just too lazy to start a new game lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't worry, I get bored REALLY FAST. Every game I've played lasted at max 4 months and then either got deleted or forgotten. For example Civilization 5, I've played about two complete games (2 weeks), and that's it. I love the game, but I'm just too lazy to start a new game lol.
    heh I guess I'm the opposite then. Anyway, in league, you are expected to play about -400 matches or so, give or take 100, each lasting anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour in order to be allowed to play ranked matches.

To really get something out of the game you have to actually commit to playing it I think because for the first few games usually what happens is you're playing against older players that have made new accounts simply to play with new players and stomp them.

Honestly, the game isn't designed for people who just want a bit of fun but it's designed for people who are willing to commit a minimum of several hours a week along a journey where they slowly get better and better at the game and get to try out the huge number of experiences the game has to offer.

ReputationRep:
    heh I guess I'm the opposite then. ...
    It seems nice but maybe not for me. So do you study math outside STEP and A levels? (I mean other areas of maths )

ReputationRep:
    It seems nice but maybe not for me. So do you study math outside STEP and A levels? (I mean other areas of maths )
    I wish I did. 3 years of not doing any maths in secondary school does hurt, so I've only been doing as much as I could for the past year or so. I don't 'study' anything in particular but if I see anything mathematical that looks interesting, I pursue the area and see what I can find out about it, though sometimes I don't have sufficient knowledge to do so.

You? I'm guessing you're applying to cambridge :P which college?

ReputationRep:
    I wish I did. 3 years of not doing any maths in secondary school does hurt, so I've only been doing as much as I could for the past year or so. I don't 'study' anything in particular but if I see anything mathematical that looks interesting, I pursue the area and see what I can find out about it, though sometimes I don't have sufficient knowledge to do so.

You? I'm guessing you're applying to cambridge :P which college?
    I do a little bit of everything I guess (to keep myself from being bored, which I guess is a weakness of mine), but mostly I'm reading the book Visual Complex Analysis by Tristan Needham; it's really interesting and nice, and doesn't require much knowledge beyond trig and single variable calculus. And I also watch some of the MIT Multivariable calculus, although all that was before may, now I have time for nothing but those damn A levels.
    Oh and I'm applying to Christ's, I went to the Mathematics Open day and I was very persuaded by the people there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.