Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What annoys me is if I am in the left hand lane, and someone is hogging the middle lane. I then need to either move out two lanes and then back two lanes, or undertake ><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I've been driving 10+ years and I've never once been annoyed by this. What's so hard about putting your indicator on and pulling into the outside lane?
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!

How did no one say this before now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wowk)
    I bought a sporty Ford Mondeo
    Even the st220 is dog**** slow....So aporty mondeo....yeh alright if you say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Like I said, it doesn't bother me. If someones in your way, overtake. If you can't merge into traffic put your foot down. If you can't put your foot down you should buy a car with a bigger engine.
    What a narrow minded selfish comment.
    How is a HGV or heavily laden LGV supposed to achieve what you say.
    Oh, buy a bigger car is your answer.
    You obviously drive with no consideration for other road users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    What a narrow minded selfish comment.
    How is a HGV or heavily laden LGV supposed to achieve what you say.
    Oh, buy a bigger car is your answer.
    You obviously drive with no consideration for other road users.
    Yes... obviously :rolleyes:

HGV's just follow one another @56mph. You could always use your mirrors and turn your head as you join a slip road to see where they are. You know... like you were taught when you passed your driving test?
    You have the option of accelerating down a slip road or easing off and slotting in behind. It's not that difficult.

If you're incapable of doing anything other than sitting behind someone getting angry like a dork then that's your misfortune.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)

HGV's just follow one another @56mph. You could always use your mirrors and turn your head as you join a slip road to see where they are. You know... like you were taught when you passed your driving test?
    You have the option of accelerating down a slip road or easing off and slotting in behind. It's not that difficult.

If you're incapable of doing anything other than sitting behind someone getting angry like a dork then that's your misfortune.
    You clearly have about as much of a clue of what goes on on the road as my dog. In other words, you know absolutely f**k all.

HGV's do not just follow one another at 56 mph. So that flaws your argument. Here's why:

A: The speed restrictors cannot be set completely accurately which gives a very small error margin (usually +/- 1mph). This makes one catch the other up surprisingly quickly and idiots sitting 8n the middle lane stop them from overtaking, which means that they cannot get their drop done as quickly?

B: Forgetting the restrictors, a truck running empty is going to move quicker (certainly up hills) than one that's fully loaded. Not to mention the difference that certain engines make when it comes to pulling power.

C: Certain companies restrict the trucks to 52mph (e.g. Waitrose). And the stickers on the back of the trailer units go to show that.

Just in case you still don't understand why middle lane hoggers are such a nuisance, what do you suggest a coach (restricted to 62mph) does when wishing to overtake a HGV, but can't because of somebody hogging the middle lane?

If, JC, this still doesn't make sense to you, I'm sure a few motorway driving lessons with your local driving instructor will clear any issues up.

ReputationRep:
    Middle lane hoggers are annoying but it's not difficult to get around them. Just man up and overtake them.

Right lane hoggers are by far the worst because there's nothing you can do to get past them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this new middle-lane hogger fining system. Essentially what the police are saying is that, even if you're doing exactly 70mph, which is the maximum speed legally permitted, then you're in the wrong for holding up people who are breaking the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesd94)
    You clearly have about as much of a clue of what goes on on the road as my dog. In other words, you know absolutely f**k all.
    /SNIP
    If you say so. Well done for making a judgement on precisely **** all evidence.
    Thanks for the little lecture, though. I'll let you in on a little secret, though... One of us already has a Cat C licence...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    If you say so. Well done for making a judgement on precisely **** all evidence.
    Thanks for the little lecture, though. I'll let you in on a little secret, though... One of us already has a Cat C licence...
    And one of us has a cat d, an a* in gcse business studies and grade 1 piano. Your point being?

ReputationRep:
    And one of us has a cat d, an a* in gcse business studies and grade 1 piano. Your point being?
    The point being you chose to seize on a glib remark with a pointless essay.

Either way, I still say people sitting in the middle lane doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Totally not worth getting worked up over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    The point being you chose to seize on a glib remark with a pointless essay.

Either way, I still say people sitting in the middle lane doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Totally not worth getting worked up over.
    So if you say that my 'essay' is pointless, why respond to it?

ReputationRep:
    So if you say that my 'essay' is pointless, why respond to it?
    You accused me of an untruth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1994)
    I don't understand this new middle-lane hogger fining system. Essentially what the police are saying is that, even if you're doing exactly 70mph, which is the maximum speed legally permitted, then you're in the wrong for holding up people who are breaking the law.
    Thats what i used to think when i was a new driver. As long as i am going the max speed limit then anyone going faster is in the wrong.

However, two wrongs do not make a right. You are forgetting the rule that the middle and right lane are technically for overtaking only.

If you sit in the right/middle lane when the left lane is free for a good distance then you are in the wrong, does not matter what speed you are going at.

The two are not mutually exclusive. The police could do both of you in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably the best cure for getting annoyed by this is driving in America for a while - it's normal practice to simply pick a lane and then stay there, ideally pretty much in someone's blind spot. Even better as they have daft slip lanes so you can be diverted off the Interstate if you don't change lanes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)

Actually he has a very good point.

I drive a 3.5ton flatbed through my work and it will sit at 70mph up and down the motorway without issue. However if I come up behind an inconsiderate driver sitting at 60-65 in the middle lane with a clear lane 1 then I have 2 options (well 3 but I wont consider obviously undertaking in my work vehicle).
    1. Sit behind you until you eventually notice or pull off
    2. attempt to pull into the passing lane in a vehicle with a vmax of about 75-80 well laden into traffic doing 80-90 meaning im now holding up micropenis buisness execs in there 530d's well i snail overtake you doing 5mph faster.

The only instance I would say where it is ok-ish to sit in the middle lane is if you are speeding somewhat excesesivly on a quiet motorway (85-100) as when you are traveling at those speeds you will be hitting lane 1 traffic every 30 seconds or so and are very unlikely to be overtaken. Even then I always keep an eye in my rearview and if someone is bombing up behind me ill pull in (especially on dual carriageway, There is ALWAYS someone wanting to go faster nomatter what speed your traveling at)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Again your selfishness outshines your arrogance.

It may not make a blind bit of difference TO YOU.
    My point is it causes problems for HGVs etc.
    They cannot use the outside lane because it against the law, but you are probably ignorant of that fact also.

Nor do they have the acceleration to do as you suggest here:
    You have the option of accelerating down a slip road or easing off and slotting in behind. It's not that difficult
    So stop the childish remarks
    You know... like you were taught when you passed your driving test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Like I said, it doesn't bother me. If someones in your way, overtake. If you can't merge into traffic put your foot down. If you can't put your foot down you should buy a car with a bigger engine.
    Sometimes you can't actually overtake them. The cars in the left hand lane may be doing 56MPh, they may be doing 60, the cars in the right may be doing 70, but there's quite a few of em, so you're stuck behind an ******** who is doing less than the speed limit when there's plenty of space up ahead for them to do that. I'm OK with people doing 60 in clear conditions - so long as they stick to the left hand lane.

Or you might be in the left hand lane. Loads of space in front of you and behind you - the middle lane car drives slower than you (And you're doing the speed limit) Its bad ettiquette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander01)
    Middle lane hoggers are annoying but it's not difficult to get around them. Just man up and overtake them.

Right lane hoggers are by far the worst because there's nothing you can do to get past them.
    Isn't it legal to undertake them if there's "slow moving traffic" ? Now if theyre going at 70, I dont think you have the same argument!

ReputationRep:
    I'll say what annoys me more is people who don't indicate as they're more likely to cause accidents

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.