Turn on thread page Beta

If a person in a relationship has an affair with a single person watch

ReputationRep:
    The single person has made no commitment and so is not as bad. It's still knowingly harming another human though.

ReputationRep:
    Only if they know.

ReputationRep:
    Not wrong.

Clearly if an affair happens the person is no longer happy with the person they are with so the person is basically an ex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    Not wrong.

Clearly if an affair happens the person is no longer happy with the person they are with so the person is basically an ex.
    So it shouldn't be a problem to dump them first, right?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If the single person knows that the other person is in a relationship, then I think they're also to blame, however their moral culpability is mitigated by the fact that they don't have an obligation of faithfulness to the person whom they're harming. I think the person in the relationship effectively commits more harm than the single person, though they're both wrong in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Probably biased because I was a mistress for 2 years before becoming the girlfriend (inb4 'if he cheated with you he'll cheat on you and you'll deserve it etc') but I think the person in a relationship is the one who's really morally in the wrong. Sure it's not great to be sleeping with someone who's with someone else (although emotionally I'd say the heartache and associated general misery the other woman goes through makes her the one who probably suffers the most out of the three), but you're not the one who has commitments to be upholding.
    (Original post by Protégé)
    Don't think the single person is in the wrong unless he's friends with the cheater's partner. I mean, if it wasn't you they'd probably cheat with someone else anyway.

^ I agree with a combination of the above.

It also depends to some extent on the nature of the relationship. If the partner knows they're a serial player, not particularly reliable in that department, and has allowed it to go on (i.e. feigning ignorance) then it's far more common in my experience.

I know a fair few couple who function in such relationships. It's not 'moral' nor the norm but if it works for them I don't judge. Especially, as I say, when it's to be expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammeyouareyou)
    do you believe that the single person is also in the wrong?

Why / why not?
    No, because the onus is on the person in the relationship not to cheat. You cant influence the actions of everyone else, only your partners'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.