The Student Room Group

Why doesn't a game like chess have the appeal of other video games?

Scroll to see replies

Chess takes patience and AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT
Chess is a game, out of many.
My grandfather taught me how to play chess, my uncle taught me how to play backgammon, my cousin taught me how to play Monopoly and Risk.
I ended up enjoying Risk.
I also ended up enjoying to eat carrots, out of all the vegetables that I tried.
I also ended up loving the colour blue (and virtually every shade/nuance of it) out of all the colours of the spectrum.
I also ended up loving both classical and hard rock, out of all the genres out there.
I also ended up loving Sonic the Hedgehog, out of all the video games out there, regardless of their release date.
I also ended up enjoying high waisted jeans, out of all the garments out there.
Guess what? We all have our own preferences. In the same way you're enoying chess (good for you) your friends are into something else (good for them as well).

Playing chess doesn't make you Napoleon Bonaparte, in the same way that playing Dota doesn't make you Gabe

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LaMandarine
Playing chess doesn't make you Napoleon Bonaparte, in the same way that playing Dota doesn't make you Gabe

I am Napoleon Bonaparte...
lol because you've gotta put thought into it?
Original post by Birkenhead

I am Napoleon Bonaparte...

Teach me how to ride a penguin? :flutter:

Spoiler

I gave up video games 2 years ago and instead took chess back up. Now I'm the county champion for my age group, never been happier.
Original post by LaMandarine
Teach me how to ride a penguin? :flutter:

Spoiler

Is that a euphemism? :sexface:

If it's not then no.
Original post by CancerousProblem
I try to introduce chess as a game to my friends and they are all like 'meh not my thing' or 'yeah i rather play this game' but I don't really get it. A game like chess is the pinnacle of strategic thought, it has a relatively low number of rules that you have to learn, but great depth in the actual game.

and it feels satisfying as **** to outplay someone in a game of chess whether it's by foreseeing a grand combo that crushes your opponents defenses, or by coming up with a superior long term plan to slowly grind out a win.

People would rather play football than sit in at Lunchtime playing it. I personally love it along with draughts
Original post by Birkenhead
Is that a euphemism? :sexface:

If it's not then no.

mmmhmm :giggle:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Magnus Taylor
People would rather play football than sit in at Lunchtime playing it. I personally love it along with draughts

A shout out to all them kids in the library at lunchtime chess club, you're the real mvp. (I'm one of you)
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I gave up video games 2 years ago and instead took chess back up. Now I'm the county champion for my age group, never been happier.

Y tu eres mi hermano
Just to show not all chess players are geeks - when I was at school I won a couple of national championships. But I also played rugby and did athletics for the county. Just shows you don't have to get pigeon-holed with all the other anoraks out there.
Original post by Duncan2012
Just to show not all chess players are geeks - when I was at school I won a couple of national championships. But I also played rugby and did athletics for the county. Just shows you don't have to get pigeon-holed with all the other anoraks out there.

Exactly, a balance athleticism and mental prowess. I know someone who is a kick boxer, swimmer and is in the top of his league in his physical health, yet can cream us all in chess, board games and strategy puzzles.
There's no single player mode. Says it all, really.
Original post by Another
There's no single player mode. Says it all, really.

You can play against chess engines and bots.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
You can play against chess engines and bots.

Playing against a bot is nowhere near as fun as playing against someone else though. Chess is meant to be played with other human beings, bots can be highly predictable once you play them for long enough.
For me I play video games because they're easy/relaxing/not mentally taxing. Chess, which I like playing, requires a lot of thought and mental exertion to be enjoyable. That's not really a good thing when I just want to play a game of something to unwind.
Original post by Another
Playing against a bot is nowhere near as fun as playing against someone else though. Chess is meant to be played with other human beings, bots can be highly predictable once you play them for long enough.

Erm no. It depends on the level of difficulty you select. At the highest setting, the bot picks the best possible moves, which often tend to be extremely random and unpredictable; even chess grandmasters struggle against bots.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Erm no. It depends on the level of difficulty you select. At the highest setting, the bot picks the best possible moves, which often tend to be extremely random and unpredictable; even chess grandmasters struggle against bots.

Well I've clearly never made it that far... I got bored way too quickly :lol:

Even so, it's like the difference between playing ludo/monopoly with family and friends, or playing vs a computer. Sure the computer might have the best ever calculated moves, but all the joy is effectively sucked out of it. Whereas videogames are usually the same amount of enjoyment both on and offline [Unless you're a huge chess-o-phile that is.]
Original post by CancerousProblem
I try to introduce chess as a game to my friends and they are all like 'meh not my thing' or 'yeah i rather play this game' but I don't really get it. A game like chess is the pinnacle of strategic thought, it has a relatively low number of rules that you have to learn, but great depth in the actual game.

and it feels satisfying as **** to outplay someone in a game of chess whether it's by foreseeing a grand combo that crushes your opponents defenses, or by coming up with a superior long term plan to slowly grind out a win.

Chess is a game which I play as well as other video games. None of my friends like chess, but they like video games. But anyway, I love chess especially blitz 5minute chess.

Quick Reply

Latest