The Student Room Group

missed uni exams due to very bad viral infection, now I'm scared about the outcome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bassbabe
Say that you were vomiting as well. Is there anyway you can get that added on to your doctros note?

Would that help? Has it helped with anyone you know? I already sent the form and doctors note
Original post by celina10
anyone?

You'll be fine. At my uni (university of Birmingham) as long as you have mitigating circumstances with a doctor's note you're fine. Our regulations does say colds don't count but if you have a note it was clearly more than a simple common cold. So you should be able to sit your exams later on. If I was you email your department and tell them of your concerns again. Meanwhile keep revising x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ItsJustMe17
You'll be fine. At my uni (university of Birmingham) as long as you have mitigating circumstances with a doctor's note you're fine. Our regulations does say colds don't count but if you have a note it was clearly more than a simple common cold. So you should be able to sit your exams later on. If I was you email your department and tell them of your concerns again. Meanwhile keep revising x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice :smile: Do you know anyone who was allowed a first attempt later on after missing exams due to a cold? Yes the doctor told me it was a very bad viral infection and I had a fever too
Reply 23
Ive missed an exam at uni before as well,they give you the oppurtunity to resit it anyway as a second attempt in the resit period and if your extenuating circumstances are accepted then it will count as attempt number 1 and not be capped,worst case scenario they dont accept your extenuating and you have attempt number two in the resit period which is like 4-5 weeks after the first set of exams. Also for future reference whenever you ask for advice do it via email so its documented.
Original post by ibbyn
Ive missed an exam at uni before as well,they give you the oppurtunity to resit it anyway as a second attempt in the resit period and if your extenuating circumstances are accepted then it will count as attempt number 1 and not be capped,worst case scenario they dont accept your extenuating and you have attempt number two in the resit period which is like 4-5 weeks after the first set of exams. Also for future reference whenever you ask for advice do it via email so its documented.

Which uni do you go to? And what was your reason for missing the exam if you don't mind me asking? Yes I have the advice on email
I've never heard of unis allowing students to miss exams (or to resit them!!!), but if your tutor said it was fine, and as you say she chairs the examinations committee, then if they refuse surely you can just send them a copy of her email that advises you not to take the exams? And with a doctors note supporting your case, i don't think they can really argue against that.

If your uni offers resit exams then I guess they would make you sit the exams then (or maybe next year? Surely they wouldn't make you repeat a year...) - I really would try not to stress about this until you have heard the outcome from the examinations committee :smile:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I've never heard of unis allowing students to miss exams (or to resit them!!!), but if your tutor said it was fine, and as you say she chairs the examinations committee, then if they refuse surely you can just send them a copy of her email that advises you not to take the exams? And with a doctors note supporting your case, i don't think they can really argue against that.

If your uni offers resit exams then I guess they would make you sit the exams then (or maybe next year? Surely they wouldn't make you repeat a year...) - I really would try not to stress about this until you have heard the outcome from the examinations committee :smile:

Yes my uni has a resit period in august and thank you for the advice, it's hard not to worry
Original post by dragonkeeper999

I also emailed her my concerns and she told me she will not be recommending an automatic zero for the exams I've missed
I really wish I just sat the exams now :frown: and didn't trust her so blindly
Okay firstly- wanting to kill your self because you missed your exams? Bit of an over reaction. Secondly, let's be realistic, you missed your exams because of a cold. You'll be pretty lucky to resist your exams as a first attempt with that excuse but you'll most probably get a resist (second attempt)

And I'd advise against handing in more than one doctors note- it won't go in your favor. In fact, it'll probably go against you. These people aren't stupid- more than one sick note is going to look suspicious to even the least intelligent of people.

Perhaps rather than jumping straight to the gun next time you receive an email telling you not to attend 'IF' you aren't well enough you should simply suck it up. I've personally revised and attended exams in far worse medical states and have managed to pass with A's+B's.

This might seem a bit harsh but saying you'll kill yourself if your school doesn't accept your cold as an excuse? It really is an insult to those families who have lost loved ones to mental illness and suicide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've got a doctors note, I've been ill for over a week and it's a very bad cold. Are you sure they won't be able to refuse? Yeah but the thing is the way I learn is that when I'm memorising I repeat things over and over again but my throat was aching so much so I couldn't do this and also pharmacy is a very demanding degree to my headache really affected how much I was able to concentrate. And you're right I guess, I would've just sat the exams, I only emailed my head of department for advice on how to study with a cold but she told me not to sit the exams.

If you've got a doctor's note it's fine
Original post by thisIZwar
Okay firstly- wanting to kill your self because you missed your exams? Bit of an over reaction. Secondly, let's be realistic, you missed your exams because of a cold. You'll be pretty lucky to resist your exams as a first attempt with that excuse but you'll most probably get a resist (second attempt)

And I'd advise against handing in more than one doctors note- it won't go in your favor. In fact, it'll probably go against you. These people aren't stupid- more than one sick note is going to look suspicious to even the least intelligent of people.

Perhaps rather than jumping straight to the gun next time you receive an email telling you not to attend 'IF' you aren't well enough you should simply suck it up. I've personally revised and attended exams in far worse medical states and have managed to pass with A's+B's.

This might seem a bit harsh but saying you'll kill yourself if your school doesn't accept your cold as an excuse? It really is an insult to those families who have lost loved ones to mental illness and suicide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my uni you need to get 25% across all 4 exams to be allowed a resit, if my extenuating circumstances don't get accepted I will get an automatic zero so I may not be able to resit even :frown: This is all I have and pharmacy at kings is the only thing I have to show for myself, taking this away would be like taking everything away. Without this I have nothing
Original post by thisIZwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

A's and B's? Are you referring to A levels? Yes I myself have also sat A level exams in far worse situations, I sat my A level exams (2nd year pharmacy is much much harder than a levels) a few days after recovering from chicken pox and I also got A's a B's. And like I said before I would've just sat these exams if my head of department hadn't said that, she also said that quote in bold in the OP AFTER I told her I had a common cold.
(edited 8 years ago)
Even with your head of department saying you didn't have to do the exams if you weren't well enough, you should have did the exams and filled in an extenuating circumstances form to say your revision was affected along with the doctors note.

Just hope they let you do the exam as your first time rather than a resit and capping your grade.
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Even with your head of department saying you didn't have to do the exams if you weren't well enough, you should have did the exams and filled in an extenuating circumstances form to say your revision was affected along with the doctors note.

Just hope they let you do the exam as your first time rather than a resit and capping your grade.

Yeah you're right, in my uni we only have 2 attempts at an exam so I thought why waste one attempt. But it was stupid of me

In my uni you need to get 25% across all 4 exams to be allowed a resit, if my extenuating circumstances don't get accepted I will get an automatic zero so I may not be able to resit even:frown:
Yeah you're right, in my uni we only have 2 attempts at an exam so I thought why waste one attempt. But it was stupid of me

In my uni you need to get 25% across all 4 exams to be allowed a resit, if my extenuating circumstances don't get accepted I will get an automatic zero so I may not be able to resit even:frown:

Ooh that isn't good! Is there anyone you could contact to get a definite answer on it to put your mind at rest?
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Ooh that isn't good! Is there anyone you could contact to get a definite answer on it to put your mind at rest?

I emailed the advice service at my uni, my head of department told me (as I emailed her after panicking) that she will not be recommending zero (she makes the decisions on behalf of the uni which goes to the exam board) but the exam board has the final say
Reply 37
anyone else? I'm panicking!!

Nobody here can tell you what's going to happen. If you've taken advice from as many people as possible at your uni, then you just have to wait for the decision.
Original post by Klix88
Nobody here can tell you what's going to happen. If you've taken advice from as many people as possible at your uni, then you just have to wait for the decision.

I was thinking maybe some other people may have been in a similar position or heard of something similar. I just want to put my mind at rest.
Reply 39
I was thinking maybe some other people may have been in a similar position or heard of something similar. I just want to put my mind at rest.

This situation is specific to you, the member of staff, your uni's internal procedures and your exam board. Even if you found someone who had been in the same situation, you couldn't anticipate your outcome from theirs. Every uni could potentially handle this situation differently.

As difficult as this will be, I think you need to take a breath and try to stop second guessing what might happen. Nobody here will be able to help. I don't think you will put your mind at rest by going through the many different scenarios which might potentially unfold.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending