Turn on thread page Beta

Saloon and Estate Car's | First Car | Young Drivers™ watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LevelTV)
    Thank you for answering my question , this won't only benefit me but many other people whom have similar questions in the future. 11/05/15

I'm a male if that matters. Hello later this month i will be turning 17 , I've never been in attendance of a driving lesson however, i have been behind the wheel on private land a number of times practicing the basics so it can be fair to say i'm not an absolute amateur.

In addition i have been studying the theory books as far back as 2005 ( yes I've always wanted to drive ) so they theory exam "should" be "easy"

Car usage
    - Not use for commuting to 6 form
    - possibly lots of motorway events ( depends if plane ,train or bus is cheaper )
    - 5-10 miles would be my most common driving session mileage
    - I guess mainly just I will be in the car , but extra passengers very possible

Insurance

The area of London i live in has shockingly high insurance due to it being a place with one of the highest general insurance claims in the UK , so everyday i'm getting quotes using auto-trader ( cars) and compare the market for ( insurance ) but the popular hatchbacks for my age are expensive REALLY EXPENSIVE.

Budget

CAR = £1000 on car although i don't mind going up to £2000
    INSURANCE = monthly and as low as possible ( no budget on it yet ) less than £2000 would be ideal

Estate Cars and Saloon Cars CAN SAVE ME?

So many people my age will not be looking at these cars for a number of reasons , so i was wondering is there a gap in the market in which i may sneak up an affordable larger car with cheaper insurance ?

Are LARGE Cars Unwise for new drivers?

Please recommend Cars ( BELOW )

is a Saab unreasonable?
    Mondeo or Vectra?
    get a volvo xc70 it's got a larger ending 2l+ but car and insurance doe't exceed three grand in the first year as my mate had one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    get a volvo xc70 it's got a larger ending 2l+ but car and insurance doe't exceed three grand in the first year as my mate had one

What reg year for the volvo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LevelTV)
    What reg year for the volvo?
    1994/96 was his 96 on the uk road 94 was swedish military according to the paperwork

ReputationRep:
    :96 volvo goodness no? can you recommend a volvo saloon? one of the less powerful ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)

Passat - yes, same as above. And avoid the 170 like the plague, unless you get a DPF and EGR delete.
    Just a word of caution - your insurance company might not look to kindly on you making such modifications to your engine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.