Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meglos)
    Same, I want to take it at A-level, i felt like I had no time left. I did the punnet square in the last 2 mins. This was the hardest exam compaired to all the past papers I did.
    i feel the exact same way as you, i want to take a level biology and always though of it as my strongest science but even last years past paper wasnt this hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrahearts)
    I think I put something about soft bodied animals decaying and fossils being destroyed by natural disasters, to be honest I completely overlooked fossils when I revised
    do you think writing about tectonic plates destroying fossils would get you a mark?

ReputationRep:
    what did people get for the magnification question and how did you do it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by th3smart1)
    what did people get for the magnification question and how did you do it??
    400X magnified, it gave you 4 cm and 0.1 mm, change the 4 cm to mm = 40, 40/0.1 = 400.

ReputationRep:
    For the speciation question i literally had no time so went- natural selection, genetic variation, geographical barriers, climate change, competition eg because of my lack of vocab how many marks do you reckkon i will have dropped ??

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how many marks the magnification question was?

ReputationRep:
    For the question about glucose I put:

-Starch for storage
    -Fats and oils for storage
    -Making proteins
    -Making cellulose

I'm pretty sure respiration wasn't one because the context had already stated that glucose is used to release energy and these were the only alternatives I could think of.

What did everyone get on the heart question? Can't remember if that was B2 or B3 thogugh.

ReputationRep:
    i found b2 relatively easy, other than a few questions and I expect the grade boundary to be very low for an A*, because last years was a lot easier but the grade boundary was only 41 or so for an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlobrooks)
    do you think writing about tectonic plates destroying fossils would get you a mark?
    I think so! I'd give you the mark anyway haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ysh)
    Lower resting heart rate = fitter, higher stroke volume and heart rate (quoting figures as it said "using diagram 1" means more blood is pumped around the body hence the higher csrcisc output. This means there is a faster delivery of glucose in the blood to the muscles, and a quicker removal of CO2. This means person 1 respires more quickly and can provide his muscles with more energy, thus allowing him to run faster.
    An important thing I've noticed is people refer to the person running using aerobic respiration, yet the question said he was running as fast as he could (as also implied by him being faster), so (I think) the respiration is ANAEROBIC and mention of oxygen is irrelevant.
    Oh man that wasn't my answer lol i just rambled on about nothing

ReputationRep:
    i panicked in this exam

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how many marks the magnification question was?
    i think it was 2 marks

ReputationRep:
    i got homo homo hetro too
    same!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electrahearts)
    I think so! I'd give you the mark anyway haha
    haha thanks i hope its right
    loving the marina pic + name by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    do u guys know roughly what the mark out of 60 is to get a B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navy17)
    Probably about 26-29 ish, think it will be low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navy17)
    i think its 30 something?

ReputationRep:
    i got 400 because i measured the 0.1 scale and it was 4cm so that is 40mm, then i did 40 divided by 0.1 which is 400 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imyleighx)
    Oh man that wasn't my answer lol i just rambled on about nothing
    I said that person 1's heart was pumping faster meaning more bloodywas pumping around the body carrying oxygen which could oxidise the lactic acid in his muscles quicker than person 2's leaving him less fatigued allowing him to run faster, I also went on about aerobic respiration giving glucose too the muscles providing the runner with more energy quicker than person 2... How many marks was it worth? I hope grade boundries are low this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rup1999)
    What did people get for the question about gaps in the fossil record??
    I put (completely wrong)
    - fossils could have been destroyed due to volcanic activity
    - and there could have been the absence of conditions needed for decay in the past- ie it was very cold?!
    I said there could have been a lack of reliable evidence/ scienctic and i said some fossils may have been soft bodied and that meant they decayed easier

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 12, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.