Turn on thread page Beta

Why are the Scots so left-wing? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resistance1)
    Why would non conformists vote for the conservatives who have traditionally been in favor of The Anglican Church, the combination of church and state and the suppression of non conformists?
    Sorry, I don't have a great understanding of the Anglican Church. I was responding to Scottish religious beliefs. Could you explain it in greater detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SausageMan)
    That a pretty spot on analysis of Scotland's religious History. I was christened by the Church of Scotland but I am beginning to see my self as an Agnostic. However voting SNP because of my religious stance wasn't my main reason for supporting them in this election.
    Why have to became Agnostic? Just because you vote SNP doesn't mean you want to create a Scottish state. I just means you want Scotland put first by a party which only cares about Scotland.

Also the Monarchy not being Scottish was a large issue for Scotland. So the Church of Scotland didn't support William III and didn't become established. There is also the Catholics from Ireland voting in a majority to create a Scottish state. Many of them are based around the former industrial areas of Dundee and Glasgow. When Sturgeon said that nationalists had taken Glasgow basically every Loyalist saw it as a dog whistle saying the Catholics had taken Glasgow. I must say the SNP have proven themselves unable to understand or empathise with Loyalism. Instead they just want to pretend it doesn't exist or pass laws banning the singing of songs by Rangers fans, calling them sectarian. This is why we saw ugly scenes in George square with Loyalist Rangers fans coming into the square and asserting their power over the nationalists. Here we see the difference between Loyalism and Unionism, the nationalists fail to understand the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resistance1)
    Why would non conformists vote for the conservatives who have traditionally been in favor of The Anglican Church, the combination of church and state and the suppression of non conformists?
    The Glorious Revolution and English Bill of Rights. Also the Puritans murdered a Scottish Monarchy and then set about murdering loads of non-Conformist Protestants in Scotland. So they support the High Tory state as it protects them from Liberalism/Whiggery/Puritanism. Though they don't want to be force to become Anglicans.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    To quote my friend, because they don't have a right wing, because they are birds with only a left wing

ReputationRep:
    The main difference I've noticed, living in Scotland and England is that Scotland really doesn't have anywhere near as much of a 'working class' right wing and very few young people support right wing parties. In England, both of those things are pretty noticeable.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    i believe that Scotland is only recently become left wing (2 generations or so) , scotland was once considered a Tory strong hold in the 1950s (hard to imagine that now). the left ward shift only started in the 1980s, in part to the decline of traditional job ie ship building, coal mining which they blame the government( The Tories and Thatcher), you still hear how the tories closed down the mines, also the poll tax) plus the feeling that thatcher didnt understand the scots,

This saw the shift towards the Labour party.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.