Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    An A* is always 90% of the full UMS but UMS never converts equally to the mark you get: 44/60 could be 80% UMS in one year and 95% in another year which is why i estimated the actual mark

(Original post by 2015studenttt)
    Are the ums scores not out of 400 so 360 is needed for an a*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper)
    Using the past 2 years and my general prediction, about: 130/180 for A*110/180 for A75-80/180 for B over all 3 papers. So maybe like 43 for B2 and 46 for B3 (A*)? What do you think?
    Are you going to do a mark scheme on b3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelsea1234567)
    ^^ This is probably correct. I'm pretty sure you'd just have to write about transects to get the marks not quadrats.
    Aha, so 4-5/6 then ? I felt it was pretty hard to develop and if anyone actually conducted my experiment they'd probably go mental counting leaves 3 times lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2015studenttt)
    Are you going to do a mark scheme on b3?
    If people want me to then yes, I'll probably start it tomorrow. Not 100% sure if I will because I have C2 and C3 on thursday and then 7 exams next week but I'll see what I can do. Hopefully it won't be that hard to make anyway with all of you guys around

ReputationRep:
    If people want me to then yes, I'll probably start it tomorrow. Not 100% sure if I will because I have C2 and C3 on thursday and then 7 exams next week but I'll see what I can do. Hopefully it won't be that hard to make anyway with all of you guys around
    Prepare for your other exams first and it won't be hard in pretty sure everyone will help u!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllaFetter)
    Anyone else scared?
    Yes, but don't worry I'm sure you did well! When it comes to things like exams everyone is always somewhat worried, for example in my ICT I know I'll get an A/A* deep down, but I'm still worried sick that I may only get a B.

ReputationRep:
    For the fossil question i'm pretty sure that it was open ended and you could put any of the three processes it talks about in the text book. For my six marker I said something like:

Use the tape measure to mark out a 100m line (called a transect)
    Check the light intensity using the light meter
    every 10m pick a random leaf and measure its width with the ruler.
    Use the light meter to pick another area with a higher light intensity to set up another transect.
    Repeat the same process as before for the new transect

to make it fair i said it should be repeated 3x at each light intensity but in different spots and the leaves should be picked at random

I used proper english/worded it differently but do you think that experiment is okay?

ReputationRep:
    were there only six questions

ReputationRep:
    Question 1\n• What are lipids broken down into?\nGlycerol (Tick Box)\n• Two control variables \nTime interval of 2 minutes, volume of milk/water/bile/lipase solution\n• Where is lipase produced?\nPancreas, small intestine\n• Why did the pH decrease?\nThe milk was digested into fattyacid and glycerol, so the fatty acid reduced the pH\n• What evidence is there that bile helped the lipase?\nThe pH dropped faster with bile than with water\n\n Question 2\n• Tape Measure, Light Intensity Meter and Ruler Question - The tape measure would be used as a transect line from the light area to the dark area to measure the distribution. At regular intervals such as every 2m, measure the length of the ivy leaves near to the transect using the ruler (measure from the same points on each leaf to keep results valid). Also measure the light intensity using the light meter. Repeat this at every interval and the results can then be used to test the hypothesis. To makethe results more valid, the transect can be done 3 times in different areas to increase the sample size \n\n Question 3\n• Runners question - you had to look atthe graphs at the values for the runner at the very end of the exercise and put the values into the box\n• Explain why Runner 1 could run faster- His heart rate and the amount of blood being pumped was higher, so moreoxygen and glucose could get to the muscle cells so they could do morerespiration and would therefore have more energy, allowing them to contract andrelax more to bring about more movement. Runner 2 had a lower heart rate and alower amount of blood being pumped, so he may have anaerobically respired causing lactic acid build up causing muscle pain, which meant that he/she ran slower.\n\nQuestion 4\n• Where is DNA found in a cell?\nIn the nucleus, wound up tightly as chromosomes\n• Muscle cell in the stomach with the mitochondria- \n• what is the function of mitochondria?\nRespiration to provide the rest of the cell with energy\n• A ribosome cannot be seen through the light microscope, suggest why? \nRibosome is too small – higher magnification needed \n• What is the function of the muscle cells?\nThe cells work together as a tissue(muscle) to contract and relax in order to bring about movement and churn the food in the stomach \n• The measurement, magnifying question \n400\n• A plant needs energy to make glucose. Where does it get this energy from? [2]\nIt gets the energy from the sun in the form of light: the chlorophyll in the mesophyll cells traps the light. (No idea what gains the second mark)\n• What does a plant use glucose for other than respiration?\nCellulose, stored as insoluble fats and oils, stored as insoluble starch/in storage organs, used with nitrate ions to make amino acids and proteins \n\nQuestion 5\n\n• Archaeopteryx (dinosaur bird) – Suggest how this fossil was preserved.\nDied and buried by sediments which created anoxic conditions meaning that microorganisms could not decay the body as they could not respire. Conditions for decay were not present. The organic/soft parts deteriorated but the hard bones were preserved.\n• Suggest why the fossil record is incomplete – Fossils destroyed by geological activity. Conditions required for fossilization rarely occur therefore few organisms are ever fossilized. \n• Speciation from archaeopteryx \nSingle population of ancestor specieswas split up and isolated into multiple populations by a geographical barrier.Natural selection took place so in each population the most suitable genes werepassed on however because each population experienced different environments,different genes were passed on. This happened repeatedly until successful interbreeding was no longer possible. \n\n Question 6\n\n• Mendel and pea plants \nRatio was 3.15:1 or 3:1. Tick boxes: homozygous, homozygous,heterozygous\n• Why was Mendel's theory not accepted by scientists? \nHe was a monk not a scientist (noscientific credibility). Genes, DNA, chromosomes etc had not been discovered. He published his results in an obscure journal. \n•Cystic and poly\n1 copy of allele need for polydactyl, 2 copies needed for cystic fibrosis\n----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\nCredit to BetaThanYou for lots of this. As stated, this is extremely rough and incomplete. Any help would be appreciated: adding extra questions or answers that I've missed off. These may not be right of course, so bear that in mind but hopefully most of them are correct. I'm quite strong at biology so I should be able to explain the answers if you ask me. Hope this helps guys and good luck with exams.
    \n\nMy answers were almost exactly the same! Fingers crossed :five:

ReputationRep:
    Aaah, I'm so annoyed. I totally pissed up the 6 marker by not talking about transects. It crossed my mind but I was like "noo, they won't want that answer". I am so stupid. Did it talk about the use of a transect in the question because if it did that's even worse. I have a tendency to skim past important information. Hopefully I will get a few marks for it though, as some of the points will be similar in my answer and the actual answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sairasameela)
    were there only six questions
    Petty sure there were seven but I've combined two together... idk this was just from what I could remember

ReputationRep:
    Petty sure there were seven but I've combined two together... idk this was just from what I could remember
    Weren't there 8 questions for B2 and 7 questions for B3 - or am I just making this up?

ReputationRep:
    there was question on mitosis, saying how are the two daughter cells identical in mitosis..

ReputationRep:
    In the runners question they also asked for the main reason person 2 had a higher value for the graph that wasn't the heart rate one, I can't remember what the other graph was about

ReputationRep:
    Do you remember doing a question, not sure if it was c2 or c3, but about how the size of an egg is effected by the concentration of glucose solution it is kept in? I've spoken to a friend doing the same exam from another school and originally thought I must've missed a question, but then when I spoke to people doing it from my school, everyone I've spoken to doesn't think there was a question like that. Do you remember the question? And is it possible that if no one remembers, that it was a misprint?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joehensman)
    Do you remember doing a question, not sure if it was c2 or c3, but about how the size of an egg is effected by the concentration of glucose solution it is kept in? I've spoken to a friend doing the same exam from another school and originally thought I must've missed a question, but then when I spoke to people doing it from my school, everyone I've spoken to doesn't think there was a question like that. Do you remember the question? And is it possible that if no one remembers, that it was a misprint?
    In B3 there was a question on the egg yoke and cell membrane, it had three sugar solutions and you had to calculate the percentage change for one solution. Then the second part was a 5 marker on why the egg increased in size, in one of the solutions (diffusion and osmosis) Everybody, at my school was talking about this five marker, but I thought it was quite a nice question.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. 3:1 is the theoretical answer and common sense dictates that its a much better ratio to use than 705:242, but admittedly its a surprising question for 1 mark because it doesn't divide completely, so perhaps you'd get the mark but putting 3.15:1 or 3:1 is more likely to be right I think. Thanks for reply though because it means at least someone is making use of this
    3:1 is not correct though. The question asked you to use the data. Therefore an answer of 3:1 cannot be correct.

ReputationRep:
    • Suggest why the fossil record is incomplete – Fossils destroyed by geological activity. Conditions required for fossilization rarely occur therefore few organisms are ever fossilized.
    Fossils of soft bodied animals are far less likely to form fossils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GREG w)
    3:1 is not correct though. The question asked you to use the data. Therefore an answer of 3:1 cannot be correct.
    Divide by smallest number. 224/224 = 1. Then, 705/224 = 3.14...

So therefore, the ratio is 3:1 (rounded)

Yes, It's still 705:224, but 3:1 is a simpler ratio, and probably what they were asking for.

ReputationRep:
    There was also a DNA fingerprinting question, i'm not sure how many marks it was worth but it was pretty straight forward. Everyone seems to have forgotten that question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.