Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawringArmadillo)
    I'm on an apprenticeship in an office in London at the moment and I'm getting just about £165 p/w so your offer isn't bad at all in my books ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm just curious but I cn't choose between uni and apprenticeship, so I wanted to ask someone who's a bit more experienced then me.
    Is it possible to get an apprenticeship AND go to uni at the same time?
    I can't afford uni but I want to go so I thought that if possible I could get an apprenticeship while going to uni that way I could be able to pay for uni AND experience the life of apprenticeship at the same time!!!
    Is it possible?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rome

(Im not the respondent of the guy you tagged and asked) but I am a 3rd year apprentice and could enlighten you.

Most apprenticeships are full time (Monday - Friday) so no, going to uni would not be an option as all of the university lectures would clash with your working hours.
    You have two possibilities: go do your apprenticeship, get qualified, and then ask your company to sponsor you to do your university degree part time

OR

Undertake your apprenticeship, and at the same time, do a degree through the Open University. You'll have to teach yourself most of the content and it will be super hard and costly. Don't take this option up unless you are 100% committed to having no life. You'll be working 8 hours per day and probably studying 4+ hours per day. You will have no time for friends and family except a couple of hours at the weekend. this will be extremely difficult. Think long. Think hard. I don't recommend it.

[SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rome<3)
    I'm just curious but I cn't choose between uni and apprenticeship, so I wanted to ask someone who's a bit more experienced then me.
    Is it possible to get an apprenticeship AND go to uni at the same time?
    I can't afford uni but I want to go so I thought that if possible I could get an apprenticeship while going to uni that way I could be able to pay for uni AND experience the life of apprenticeship at the same time!!!
    Is it possible?
    I've just left a BSc Economics degree at Hull for a Higher Apprenticeship in Tax. It's one of the best decisions I've made and I'm on £260 a week - not in London, in North Yorkshire! Although I won't be getting my Bachelors, I'll be getting the ATT qualification (required to be a tax adviser) paid for and 2 valuable years in industry. I work 9-5 all week so studying for a degree would be nigh on impossible, even as I am studying a related subject.

If you're offered a good apprenticeship opportunity with an employer with a good track record then I'd say take it - in this economic environment, spending £9k is a heck of a lot of money if you can't get a job at the end of it due to lack of experience/professional qualifications.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloescottt)
    I've just left a BSc Economics degree at Hull for a Higher Apprenticeship in Tax. It's one of the best decisions I've made and I'm on £260 a week - not in London, in North Yorkshire! Although I won't be getting my Bachelors, I'll be getting the ATT qualification (required to be a tax adviser) paid for and 2 valuable years in industry. I work 9-5 all week so studying for a degree would be nigh on impossible, even as I am studying a related subject.

If you're offered a good apprenticeship opportunity with an employer with a good track record then I'd say take it - in this economic environment, spending £9k is a heck of a lot of money if you can't get a job at the end of it due to lack of experience/professional qualifications.

Good luck!
    Ah bad move. You'll soon get bored of the typical 9-5. I give it 8 months and then you'll be wishing you was a student sleeping in until mid-day and clubbing every night. Stay young as long as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewif002)
    Ah bad move. You'll soon get bored of the typical 9-5. I give it 8 months and then you'll be wishing you was a student sleeping in until mid-day and clubbing every night. Stay young as long as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's your opinion, £9k a year is a lot to do that. Not every student has that experience, and personally I was really unhappy as I felt I had no other option than to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloescottt)

Good luck!
    Thanks. i'm i the engineering department so I wonder if i can get a good employer( ̄へ ̄;)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    So I've just had a reply to an application to an Aerospace apprenticeship at Cobham, which said I have to go to an initial assessment on maths, english and engineering (can't imagine what that'll be). I had been looking at another at Astrium although the applications were closed for this year and it would start not this but next September I think but it was £180 pw. Thoughts?
    hi it depends on your age, ask yourself if you can live on that money realistically taking daily/monthly expenses in to account and if you can ? go for it ?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.