Turn on thread page Beta

Stricter laws against "Islamist extremist ideology" in UK watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think of this?
    Good idea
    77.78%
    Bad idea
    22.22%

ReputationRep:
    I think what makes people turn to violence is feeling oppressed - so why would you want to exacerbate that? I don't think it'll help anything. Not to mention how woolly the definition of 'extremism' is. It could easily mean 'people who disagree with me' - they bang on about 'British values' without defining what these are (because so many people would disagree with it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    I think what makes people turn to violence is feeling oppressed - so why would you want to exacerbate that? I don't think it'll help anything. Not to mention how woolly the definition of 'extremism' is. It could easily mean 'people who disagree with me' - they bang on about 'British values' without defining what these are (because so many people would disagree with it).
    the 'we make them into terrorist argument'

Sorry this simply is a lie we do not make them into terrorists they do that themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PopaPork)
    the 'we make them into terrorist argument'

Sorry this simply is a lie we do not make them into terrorists they do that themselves.
    I didn't say that at all - I just said it will make them angrier. When you restrain someone against their will, they will fight back harder.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say that at all - I just said it will make them angrier. When you restrain someone against their will, they will fight back harder.
    So what if it does that are angry anyway and only giving them what they want will stop them from being angry

ReputationRep:
    So what if it does that are angry anyway and only giving them what they want will stop them from being angry
    Yeah, but the less angry they are, the better.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but the less angry they are, the better.
    No not really. We need to fight them regardless of how upset this makes them and this is the fist step in that process

I't like the old school bully. Do we stand together and fight them or do we hide away in the hope that they will bully someone else.

ReputationRep:
    No not really. We need to fight them regardless of how upset this makes them and this is the fist step in that process

I't like the old school bully. Do we stand together and fight them or do we hide away in the hope that they will bully someone else.
    You still have the problem of defining 'extremism'. What is political extremism? How would you define religious extremism?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like we are giving them what they want to me, we're becoming more and more divided more and more authoritarian and we keep handing to them on a plate propaganda to help with their recruitment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlskep)
    http://news.sky.com/story/1482893/ra...get-extremists

There's a list of the proposed laws such as banning extremists to preach in public spaces and to even close premises where they are known to radicalise others.

Is this the right step or would it be better to allow them to speak so we can confront their views openly?
    I'm very supportive of this.

I'm even more pleased that this was announced so early in the new government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm very supportive of this.

I'm even more pleased that this was announced so early in the new government.
    Extremist!!1!!1

ReputationRep:
    You still have the problem of defining 'extremism'. What is political extremism? How would you define religious extremism?
    True but I suppose those who would want us to live under sharia and are prepared to use force to get this would be a good starting point. Or those who support killing people if they change their faith (in any country)

Same for those who say sharia is MORE important than UK law

The are plenty of places we can start but the point is we have to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Seems like we are giving them what they want to me, we're becoming more and more divided more and more authoritarian and we keep handing to them on a plate propaganda to help with their recruitment.
    The point is thou we don't have to care what they think

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised the mods haven't deleted this thread yet for being too offensive.

ReputationRep:
    True but I suppose those who would want us to live under sharia and are prepared to use force to get this would be a good starting point. Or those who support killing people if they change their faith (in any country)

Same for those who say sharia is MORE important than UK law

The are plenty of places we can start but the point is we have to start.
    Islamic extremism certainly needs to be tackled, but I'm not convinced sending them to prison is the answer (in prison you can make connections). Due to the fear of being called 'islamophobic' the definition of 'extremism' may become too expansive. We'll see.

ReputationRep:
    The point is thou we don't have to care what they think
    That doesn't sound like a very good point.

ReputationRep:
    Islamic extremism certainly needs to be tackled, but I'm not convinced sending them to prison is the answer (in prison you can make connections). Due to the fear of being called 'islamophobic' the definition of 'extremism' may become too expansive. We'll see.
    No I don't think prison is needed too. We can however shut down the places where they meet and restrict their access to the media they use to propagate their ideas .

But most importantly is we can simply ignore them as an irrelevance and not allow them to setup groups etc.

We can also challenge those who would call these things as islamophobia out for their tacit support of Islamism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    That doesn't sound like a very good point.
    Why?

You need to tell me why we should care about the opinions of extremists.

ReputationRep:
    You need to tell me why we should care about the opinions of extremists.
    Why? I never claimed we should. I'm not even sure what an extremist is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Extremist!!1!!1
    Yes. The extremist of Islamist sympathisers must not be tolerated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Yes.
    Ha knew it. Come get him GCHQ i've caught one for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.