Turn on thread page Beta

What makes people athiests? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I am not religionist, but correlation does not imply causation. You will be telling me that drinking water causes cancer next. After all, everyone who dies of cancer drinks water!
    Sometimes it does, not all the time you're correct to say. And the example you give is not remotely comparable. Everyone drinks water, it's a fundamental human requirement. How is that comparable to a strong correlation between the average IQ of a country and the percentage of it's people who are religious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    There is none. The religious cannot understand abstract concepts. In fact there is a strong correlation, internationally, between lower IQ nations and religiosity.
    I'd be interested to see your graph of this correlation, given that there are no significant differences in IQ between nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abadat97)
    Are you serious ? I'm of faith and I wouldn't say atheists are mentally ill, if anything the person who started this thread is. Respect people's beliefs, what makes sense to someone else may not make sense to me, please close this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am not being disrespectful I am just saying atheists reasoning sounds like that of mad man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ngb9320)
    God
    And where did god come from?

How did god create something out of nothing?

Since you can't create something out of nothing, god must be nothing too.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this thread isn't going to go well.

ReputationRep:
    Play ignorant if you want it doesn't change facts.
    Ya wat m8? What about my Santa Claus comment was ignorant? ^^. Also what are the 'facts', which are as you say, unchanged?

If anything, your suggestion that there is something wrong with people who are atheists is.

Also, your use of the term 'mentally ill' was rather pejorative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    There was no 'nothing at one point': before the universe, there was no 'point' for anything to be existing within.

Talk like this is simply demonstrating that you have a very limited conceptual understanding of the concepts involved in this debate.
    If some guy came up to you and said he only came into existence this morning would you believe him?

ReputationRep:
    The other thing about the something out of nothing argument is this. If 'You can't get something from nothing', then that means there can;t have been nothing, there must have been God, which is something, there to create the something. But God is the only something before the universe(s)so was he created, or is he just beyond all time and space(but then again there is perfectly valid arguments for matter and life playing that roel not god)

And regardless of all this, how does the belief in God of this from then lead to the belief in the literal truth of your religion and all the other 'facts' in it above all others?

ReputationRep:
    How?

Because they think with their heads?
    i was being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    this atheist is :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.L)
    I'd be interested to see your graph of this correlation, given that there are no significant differences in IQ between nations.
    Err there are. If you look at the bell curve and standard deviations from the mean of IQ distributions, there are significant differences in mean IQ between countries. And less educated and poor ones with low IQs have higher religiosity. I will look it out for you.

ReputationRep:
    Where did God come from then? Did he just appear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    And where did god come from?

How did god create something out of nothing?

Since you can't create something out of nothing, god must be nothing too.
    You clearly don't understand.

God is powerful he I'd the creator of everything.

ReputationRep:
    If some guy came up to you and said he only came into existence this morning would you believe him?
    The reddest of herrings. If you want to address my point, argue against it, and stop asking me rhetorical questions which have nothing to do with the issue.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly don't understand.

God is powerful he I'd the creator of everything.
    Who created god?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Ya wat m8? What about my Santa Claus comment was ignorant? ^^. Also what are the 'facts', which are as you say, unchanged?

If anything, your suggestion that there is something wrong with people who are atheists is.

Also, your use of the term 'mentally ill' was rather pejorative.
    Well first of all Santa ain't real

'yeah but how you know God's deal's

There is plenty of evidence for god such as the bible and sightings.

But the Athienazis like to play ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    No, religious people are believing everything that is written in a story book (I'm not aiming this at all religious people, just *certain* ones)

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok are we really suppose to believe there was a big bang out of nowhere all years ago?
    Well, that's what the evidence suggests... have you got evidence to the contrary?

ReputationRep:
    There's no point trying to reason with this guy, he did a very similar thread not too long ago.

ReputationRep:
    It's a matter of facts. There are people who admit it, others don't.

Obviously there are also people unable to think, but this is another matter.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.