Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2014_GCSE)
    I did the second half of it, and got it correct! You could still do the differential/stationary point stuff because the previous question was a show that so you could still use it.

I only lost 5 marks (and may get like 1 method mark for my various attempts). So 70-71/75, which I think should be a decent UMS, no?
    Ah I see, and seems like a lot of people found it hard (that ive talked to) so the 100 UMS mark might be a few lower than 75 so you'll defo be close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youarewrong)
    i agree with all of it except the cylinder question which you have to have wrong purely because you cannot have a negative radius.
    The radius is +4 which gives you a second derivative of -12pi so therefore it is a max value, that was the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieOH)
    Ah I see, and seems like a lot of people found it hard (that ive talked to) so the 100 UMS mark might be a few lower than 75 so you'll defo be close.
    I hope so. It's annoying to me because I genuinely knew Core 1 inside and out. Like the cylinder stuff isn't in the Core 1 specification, it's just a GCSE assumption... hmm

ReputationRep:
    I hope so. It's annoying to me because I genuinely knew Core 1 inside and out. Like the cylinder stuff isn't in the Core 1 specification, it's just a GCSE assumption... hmm
    Yeah it was kinda harsh. I had no clue what the formulas were but I kinda just figured them out. Best of luck(:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieOH)
    Yeah it was kinda harsh. I had no clue what the formulas were but I kinda just figured them out. Best of luck(:
    Thanks man. Best of luck to you too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhoxc)
    Ahhh i don't even know what to think about it, i feel like i got an A but at the same time i feel like i got an E

Does anyone thing the grade boundaries will be high
    I feel exactly the same! I keep thinking about all the bad bits and then i stress that i have failed and then other times i think about the good bits and think it went well! Ugh i really hope the boundaries are low! I think they will be, a lot of people found it hard!

ReputationRep:
    They are in the specification under optimisation. There's many questions to do with 3D shaped like that you're meant to know formulas for them apart from for a sphere and a cone which is given in the formula booklet. They're not allowed to out anything that isn't on the specification in the exam. Hope you still got a really good mark though bc you seem to have worked really hard

ReputationRep:
    do you know how many marks q8 was out of in total??

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the amount of marks for each question?

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was the cylinder question?

ReputationRep:
    for the cylinder question was it okay to put your final answer of h in terms of r as (48-r^2)/2r? (under a common denominator of 2r) or did we have to leave it as 24/r - r/2? i wouldn't lose any marks, would i?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InaneRambler)
    I believe there are some errors here.

(4) (c) 8 and -2
    (4) (d) Is 3. How can the distance from the centre of a circle to the midpoint of a chord be greater than the radius?
    (6) (b) (ii) Wasn't it +12pi? And so it's a minimum not a maximum? (not sure about this)

@ihatehistory The last question was worth 4 marks so I'm guessing probably most of them. Factorisation (1) Diagram (1) Correct inequalities (2) As a guess.
    the radius was actually 5 root 2 from what I remember which is greater than 7

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    For the polynomial/long division question where we asked to use the factor theorem to show (x+2) is a factor of p (x) or did we just have to put it in the form specified and then show that (×+2) is the only factor?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chancehaycock)
    1. Gradient: -3/5

Equation of line: 5x – 3y +1=0
    Co-ordinates of A (9,-4)

2. 7 + root15

3. Tangent = y-6=-10(x+1) (no form required)

Area under graph = 108/5 Trapezium = 54 Therefore Area Bound by curve and line =54-108/5 = 162/5 square units

4. (x+1)2 + (y-3)2 = 50

C = (-1,3)
    R = root50 = 5root2
    K=-2, K=8
    Shortest Distance from C to QR = root49 = 7

5. x2 + 3x +2 = (x+3/2)2 -1/4

Vertex = (-3/2,-1/4)
    LOS: x=-3/2
    Translated Graph = (x-1/2)2 +15/4
    This then expands to x2 –x +4

6. 48π=πr2 +2πrh

So h = 48π – πr2 / 2πr

Hence h = 24/r - r/2

V=24πr – πr3 / 2

dV/dr = 24π – 3πr2 / 2

Stationary Point: r=4

D2V / Dr2 = -3πr = -12π = negative = maximum point

7. Remainder = 36
    P(x) = (x+2)(x2 -5x+10)
    B2-4ac < 0 therefore no real solutions for quadratic.
    Only solution is when x = -2

8. 9k2 – 32k – 16 < 0

(9k+4)(k-4) < 0
    Critical values = -4/9 and 4
    Therefore -4/9 < k < 4

Hi guys,
    For the polynomial/long division question where we asked to use the factor theorem to show (x+2) is a factor of p (x) or did we just have to put it in the form specified and then show that (×+2) is the only factor?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    From what I remember T got 3 bits wrong, the shortest distance in question 4, the drawing of the graph in question 5 and question 6 the cylinder proof question. I don't think i made any other mistakes. Does anybody know how many marks i will have lost because I am hoping I got 65 minimum.

ReputationRep:
    Had to use factor theorem If I remember correctly so basically Just showing that P(-2) = 0 and then show that the quadratic had no solutions using the discriminant

ReputationRep:
    Hi, on the last bit of the last question, I used the quadratic formula and then didnt go further and just put the critical values in quadratic formula form, do i get any marks?

ReputationRep:
    Hi can someone put how many marks each question was. and the question for each answer?

ReputationRep:
    Probably a piss take question but do you happen to remember the marks for the questions ?

ReputationRep:
    hi can someone post the marks beside each question

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.