Turn on thread page Beta

Cat has brought in a live Koi Carp watch

ReputationRep:
    This fish is far more expensive than the cat hahahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyAnneR)
    So my mum and I are just sitting in the lounge and my cat walks in with a massive Koi Carp fish in her mouth, drops it on the floor and IT'S ALIVE. So I ran and fetched a bucket of water and we've put the fish in. Didn't think it would survive but 15 minutes later and it's swimmig around quite happily.

Now what should I do? :confused:

I don't know where she got it from and I know nothing about fish! I don't want the poor thing to die.
    You should go around asking your neighbors about whether they own the fish or not. I know you're scared that your neighbor would get angry at you for it, but I think it would be selfish to risk the fish's life/risk returning it to the wrong neighbor or not returning it at all, and you should ask your neighbors, who I think would be more thankful than upset at you for returning the fish.
    Return the fish ASAP before anything bad happens; but unless you intentionally try to kill the fish/let the cat kill the fish I think it's unlikely it will die if you manage to return it within a day or two, since Koi Carps are generally durable fish and don't die easily. Make sure you keep the water reasonably warm, as cold waters will weaken their immune system.

ReputationRep:
    Also, on a second note, the fish is very likely not as expensive as '2000 pounds' which seems to being the number thrown around here. I did a quick google search for Koi fish prices and found this
    http://www.kloubeckoi.com/koi-for-sale/
    The price seems to be anything from $200 for 5 smaller koi to $400 for a large 16 inch one, certainly not in the range of '2000 pounds', so don't even think about getting rich off that fish :P, and don't be too worried if it goes terribly wrong: It's still quite expensive, just not the extent of 2000 pounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    You should go around asking your neighbors about whether they own the fish or not. I know you're scared that your neighbor would get angry at you for it, but I think it would be selfish to risk the fish's life/risk returning it to the wrong neighbor or not returning it at all, and you should ask your neighbors, who I think would be more thankful than upset at you for returning the fish.
    Return the fish ASAP before anything bad happens; but unless you intentionally try to kill the fish/let the cat kill the fish I think it's unlikely it will die if you manage to return it within a day or two, since Koi Carps are generally durable fish and don't die easily. Make sure you keep the water reasonably warm, as cold waters will weaken their immune system.
    Okay firstly, thank you for your response. Actually, I'm NOT selfish, that's why I posted this...to get help so that the fish gets back to safety. As it turns out, we went around all the houses in the nearby area asking if people have ponds with koi. We did this three times and couldn't find anyone. We rang the local Koi dealer and they advised that the next step is to ask someone we know who has a pond if they would like the fish. The fish now has a new home, far away from my naughty kitty. I wanted to get him back to his rightful owner really, but there is only so much I can do

Also, I just want to say, I wasn't concerned they'd be upset about me returning the fish, I was concerned by the highly likely possibility of my cat going back for seconds in the future and becoming a target herself. It happens. I've already lost a kitten to anti-freeze poisoning in the past.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.