The Student Room Group

Wjec as biology by1 - 12 marker predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Faisalshamallakh
I agree. But, I think the content in the syllabus is more straight forward than other exam boards. Although, when it comes to marking, they are extremely harsh, Not to mention the horrific revision guides available for WJEC Biology.

The CGP revision guides are unbelievably good but they are only AQA/OCR/Edexel specific for AS Level.

We're really caught in the middle tbh.

I did Edexcel science for GCSE and it was a lot nicer, the revision guides were great too.

Btw does anyone know what the grade boundaries are like for unit 1 or 2?
In June 2014, it was 45/70 for an A.
In June 2013, it was 52/75 for an A.

So there is no way we can tell what the boundaries will be like. Although being up in the low 60s/ High 50s will guarantee you an A.
Are you guys feeling prepared at all for this exam? I'm hoping for water or carbohydrates to come up as a 10 marker!
I always end up breaking my arm after writing an essay on Carbohydrates.

Nonetheless easy 10 marks.
In June 2014, it was 45/70 for an A.
In June 2013, it was 52/75 for an A.

So there is no way we can tell what the boundaries will be like. Although being up in the low 60s/ High 50s will guarantee you an A.

Great thanks! Is that for unit 1? I should be able to get an A with those boundaries (I hope anyway).

Original post by abi_parsnips
Are you guys feeling prepared at all for this exam? I'm hoping for water or carbohydrates to come up as a 10 marker!

Yeah I think so...
Essays in unit 1 are usually quite easy. My favourite would be one on DNA/RNA or mitosis/meiosis!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by katemate98
Great thanks! Is that for unit 1? I should be able to get an A with those boundaries (I hope anyway).

Yeah I think so...
Essays in unit 1 are usually quite easy. My favourite would be one on DNA/RNA or mitosis/meiosis!

Yeah, BY2/HB2 are always similar to BY1, some years the HB2 boundaries a slightly higher than BY1.

The highest the boundaries have ever been for BY1 is 54/70. But to be on the real safe side for an A, you're looking at getting 56/70. Especially now that winter exams have been removed, you have much more students taking the BY1 exam. So odds are from this year on, grade boundaries will be getting higher.
Yeah, BY2/HB2 are always similar to BY1, some years the HB2 boundaries a slightly higher than BY1.

The highest the boundaries have ever been for BY1 is 54/70. But to be on the real safe side for an A, you're looking at getting 56/70. Especially now that winter exams have been removed, you have much more students taking the BY1 exam. So odds are from this year on, grade boundaries will be getting higher.

Your point is very invalid; last year there were summer only exams, and loads of people took the BY1. Yet most of the AS being it their first exams, and it was different from past papers flopped the exam (I flopped too, got a mid B, still got a high A overall for biology AS as I scored 90% in BY2 and coursework) , but carrying on it was 64% raw marks for an A.
No doubt if the paper is hard this year the boundaries will be the same.

I am resitting and I know the boundaries even if its an easy paper will be lower than average, pretty much a fact.
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
Your point is very invalid; last year there were summer only exams, and loads of people took the BY1. Yet most of the AS being it their first exams, and it was different from past papers flopped the exam (I flopped too, got a mid B, still got a high A overall for biology AS as I scored 90% in BY2 and coursework) , but carrying on it was 64% raw marks for an A.
No doubt if the paper is hard this year the boundaries will be the same.

I am resitting and I know the boundaries even if its an easy paper will be lower than average, pretty much a fact.

last year there were winter exams? Jan 2014?
last year there were winter exams? Jan 2014?

Them winter exams were only in wales, as last year WALES curriculum still had January exams

England had no January a-level exams last year.

So majority of people sitting that paper were first timers , such as me

and now from this year the wales January exams have gone aswell ; it means the boundaries should be lower because now everyone is first-timers unless your an A2 resitting but there were loads of A2 resitting last years paper and boundaries went so low.. so this sitting should theoretically have low boundaries is what im trying to say.
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
Them winter exams were only in wales, as last year WALES curriculum still had January exams

England had no January a-level exams last year.

So majority of people sitting that paper were first timers , such as me

and now from this year the wales January exams have gone aswell ; it means the boundaries should be lower because now everyone is first-timers unless your an A2 resitting but there were loads of A2 resitting last years paper and boundaries went so low.. so this sitting should theoretically have low boundaries is what im trying to say.

Yeah I say that because I live in Wales.

Well I really hope you're right because that's good news if the boundaries are getting lower, fingers crossed.
Not to mention the horrific revision guides available for WJEC Biology.

The CGP revision guides are unbelievably good but they are only AQA/OCR/Edexel specific for AS Level.

We're really caught in the middle tbh.

Have you tried the wjec biology textbooks? Though naturally a lot of people aren't happy with them,they are better than the revision guides and for by2 last year I got a high A and only revised from the text book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does nobody else have the illuminate publishing WJEC AS Human Biology revision guide? It was pretty useful to me :smile:
similar to above i got a high A in by2 last year, from using the official wjec revision guide the gareth rowlands one, its ace for AS stuff
I have the Illuminate Publishing revision guide for AS Human Biology by Gareth Rowlands. It's good as a an outline. There are mistakes in it and some of the definitions in there that we need to learn are not accepted by the WJEC as they are too simple. I haven't tried any WJEC text books, apparently they have mistakes in them also?
Guys what do you think full ums is and any tips on the 10 markers cause the mark scheme is impossible for human biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Guys what do you think full ums is and any tips on the 10 markers cause the mark scheme is impossible for human biology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year it was 55/70 for full UMS (120) in BY1 and 56/70 in BY2 so hopefully it will be even lower this year
The mark scheme for this exam board is the oddest thing ever!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think enzyme activity graphs will come up? Or a massive question on biosensors?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got any predictions for what will be on the paper tomorrow?
Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
The mark scheme for this exam board is the oddest thing ever!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ew ikr I hate it

Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
Do you think enzyme activity graphs will come up? Or a massive question on biosensors?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably tbh I can imagine them doing that to us :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest