Turn on thread page Beta

Would you date an ex drug user? watch

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Have a family member that abuses drugs and seemed like they had given up for a long time. I wouldn't want something like that to be a worry on my mind in a relationship, if it's family you put up with it because you have to.

It just wouldn't be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, no girl ever wants to find out their bf sucked some guy off in an alley to score some smack for free

ReputationRep:
    This completely depends on the person! If someone used drugs and completely turned their life around I wouldn't judge!

ReputationRep:
    Truthfully, I wouldn't. I would be too scared of them relapsing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvaAdore)
    Of what?

Heroin is amazing. There's no two ways about it. But the junkies you see are probably mainly like me at my worst - towards the end you don't use to get high, your tolerance is too high and you can't afford it anyway, but you HAVE to use or you will get dopesick (withdrawal symptoms) I had PAWS for about a year and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Withdrawal is the worst. I'm not saying you should change your mind i just think a lot of people don't realise how stuck a lot of addicts are. They use to not get sick.
    I'm sorry you went through all of that, but it's good to hear you got clean and got your life back. And I agree, most are pretty much stuck in this vicious cycle. It takes a lot to get them out of it, so kudos to you hun. x

ReputationRep:
    Of what?

Heroin is amazing. There's no two ways about it. But the junkies you see are probably mainly like me at my worst - towards the end you don't use to get high, your tolerance is too high and you can't afford it anyway, but you HAVE to use or you will get dopesick (withdrawal symptoms) I had PAWS for about a year and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Withdrawal is the worst. I'm not saying you should change your mind i just think a lot of people don't realise how stuck a lot of addicts are. They use to not get sick.
    awww i know... its just ive seen a few of my friends go through this... and its really sad... my last school which i went to was filled with dealers/addicts, like kids in younger years would be selling coke/heroin/weed on the playground and no one would even realize, my friends got into this mess and their parents decided to abandon them which was really sad coz two of my friends dropped out of school as well and had nowhere to live and were basically starving to death, but yeah i get you with how good it can be at times i mean ive tried it like 2/3 times just to see how itd be but never again though... that lifestyle wouldn't suit me. Btw have seen The Basketball Diaries? when i watched it for the first time i was down for days hahah it really got me tbh

ReputationRep:
    I used to use a lot of drugs. Most of them hard. I now don't. I haven't experienced a lot of judgement as my past few relationships have been with people I met through work/study (substance misuse) so naturally they wouldn't question it in the way others might

So my question is for those of you outside this type of organisation, would you ever date an ex drug user? And obviously I am not talking about smoking a bit of weed on occasion. I'm talking about someone for whom taking drugs was once problematic, or they were physically/mentally dependent.
    No! Chairman Mao got rid of drug addiction under his rule by executing drug addicts. An interesting proposal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any problem with drugs and would be happy dating someone who used currently - so long as they weren't addicted. If someone had been addicted to drugs in the past, but now no longer had a dependency on substances (and especially if, like you, did something positive to help others suffering with drug-related issues) I'd have absolutely no problem with a friendship or relationship - obviously providing we got on well in all the important aspects! And they weren't sanctimonious and holier-than-thou/would be constantly at risk of relapsing.

I'm not big on the term 'clean' or referring to someone as 'a drug-user' - they're not dirty because they take drugs, and drugs shouldn't be the only thing that defines them.

ReputationRep:
    If she's slutty, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    I would if they hadn't been taking any for years. But I'd be scared of them having a relapse though

ReputationRep:
    If they're clean and have been for substantial time, sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.