Turn on thread page Beta

How can you be gay and right wing? watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MAd Vlad)
    x
    You gave me a very good view point on this however I can't remember it word for word

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.)
    It does seem homophobic if you think about the fact that marriage is seen as a basic human right (in the eyes of the UN and most countries) so to deny some people that right implies that they are less worthy of human rights that you are.
    Would anyone say that same about racists and interracial marriage or sexists and heterosexual partnerships in which the wife earns more or is taller/older than the husband?

Even if they oppose equal marriage for religious purposes, the argument still stands - why call something 'THE HAPPIEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE' and then tell some people
    "No you can't have that."
    They reply: "WHY NOT?!"
    You say: "Because I say so/my religion says so"
    They reply: "da hell...?!"
    Heterosexual couples have civil marriage and religious marriage, whereas homosexual couples have civil partnerships.

Heterosexual couples can’t have civil partnerships but homosexual couples can have marriage civil or religious, how is that equality? Also, if a homosexual couples is rejected a religious marriage by a particular religion they can go to the ECHR (European Court of Human Rights) and try to get it overturned, this would be in breach of the right to freedom of religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30586950

I don’t understand, if homosexual couples want to be happy they can call it the “THE HAPPIEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE”. For the most part this is not even true to heterosexual couples; look at the divorce rate, also marriage has been in decline for some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roryd9)
    So.many.stupid.people... And being against gay marriage doesn't mean you hate gays. We also need to stop using "homophobic' so loosely, Google the definition of a phobia.
    I agree.

Marriage, as the legal system recognises it, has its roots in religious ceremony, that was a union strictly between man and woman. I think that is the main, if not sole reason why there is so much controversy on the poltiical level. It's not because anyone hates gays. That's just stupid.

And with the above explanation - nor is it in anyway infringing their human rights - because marraige is a religious ceremonial obligation, not any necessity for physical expression of ones sexual orientation. We're not barricading a biological right of theirs are we?

Ignorance to the function of marriage like this would, just violates the integrity of a religious system or ideal, and as one aspect of it is a moral oath, violation of it just renders any marriage meangless. So really, they'd be no point in gay couples getting married anyway!

If a gay couple wants to try and express any feeling they may have for there partner for whatever reason, i'm sure there are morew than one ways of doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    You gave me a very good view point on this however I can't remember it word for word
    I don't remember... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Because they support conservative economic policy or foreign policy and think the economy and security of the nation is more important than whether some other members of their party find their sex life distasteful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ngb9320)
    Well they do have similar tendencies tothe nazi party but I takevyou point.

That was legalised only because lib dems pushed for it the conservatives did nit want it.
    if they did not want it they did not have to do it... I am GAY but i am also part conservative does that mean i want to ban all gay marriage and abolish all gays if i had the chance NO...

If your going to make a thread make the threads description more in detail so i do not have to go through the comments to see what exactly your talking about...

Your Friend
    Nathan the nice Activist

ReputationRep:
    OK, firstly the Conservative party are not homophobic, as many others have said. Right-wing doesn't mean 'against all equality'. UKIP perhaps is but the former isn't, although I suspect that some of them may just be saying this to evade a public outcry. There are certainly some UKIPpers against it though. Also not accepting gay marriage isn't exactly homophobia, it could be for religious reasons. I don't have a problem with people not liking gay marriage - though I am all for it myself - as long as they don't use scare tactics to force others into adopting their view.

Also, a person can vote for a party and even become a member without liking every single one of their policies - I've heard a few say that they voted for 'the best of a bad bunch' in the GE. I don't agree with everything my party says (I am a registered member not just a supporter) but I agree with most of it and what they are trying to achieve and that is the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ngb9320)
    I know a few gay people that voted for the conservatives and I wonder if they where dropped on their head as a child. That's like Jews voting for the Nazis.

Do they not realise that the conservatives would ban gayness if they had the chance?
    Because the left haven't flirted, in recent times, with conservative Islam, which is as homophobic as you can get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Because the left haven't flirted, in recent times, with conservative Islam, which is as homophobic as you can get?
    Amen

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.