Turn on thread page Beta

Review of the season 2014/15 watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Depleted)
    **** match plagued by awful refereeing
    great match, and one soft penalty decision is hardly plagued by awful refereeing.

Shall have a proper think about general but for club:
    Player of the season? Esteban Cambiasso - absolute don, top class
    Match of the Season? 5-3 vs Man Utd of course, absolutely stunning game. Still disappointed I didn't get to watch it live. Recorded it because I was out on a friends stag do and got a text from my dad saying we'd gone 5-3 up. Was convinced I was having a joke being played on me until I sat down and watched it.
    Signing of the season? he's magic, you know - Esteban Cambiasso
    Flop of the season? tough call, they've all got claims for it. Perhaps schmeichel, good as he's been since he came back from injury, he was something of a flapping liability October through December.
    goal of the season in terms of best strike, Nugent at Liverpool, stunning technique but simply because of what it meant, king v West Ham for sparking this revival.

ReputationRep:
    Player of the season? Don't know
    Manager of the season? Ronald Koeman
    Match of the season? Leicester 5 Manchester United 3
    Signing of the season? Alexis Sanchez
    Flop of the season? Di Maria
    Goal of the season? Not sure

And for your own club...
    Player of the season? Eden Hazard.
    Match of the season? The 2 nil against Arsenal was our best performance against a big team.
    Signing of the season? Francesc.
    Flop of the season? Cuadrado.
    Goal of the season? Andre Schurrle's goal against Burnley, quite liked Hazard's against Hull as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    goal of the season in terms of best strike, Nugent at Liverpool, stunning technique but simply because of what it meant, king v West Ham for sparking this revival.
    Awesome strike. The chest down to set him up was the perfect assist, too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Awesome strike. The chest down to set him up was the perfect assist, too.
    It was an incredible strike, and it's what annoys me about Nugent. He can dispatch goals like that or Spurs away, but put him in the box with an open goal this season and it's been spooned into the keeper. Scored the hard chances and made a complete meal of the good chances (had a good 3/4 against Villa at home and took none of them).

Anyway:
    Player of the season? Probably Hazard - had a cracking season, although De Gea would be in with a shout
    Manager of the Gary Monk - I think I saw a list showing that Swansea had spent the least amount per point of any club in the division, and he's doing a great job with them.
    Match of the season? Spurs 5-3 Chelsea
    Signing of the season? Bojan for Stoke - quality player and a bargain at £3m.
    Flop of the season? Tempted to say Ings, all that hype and so little impact, but simply for the money spent vs how inconsequential they've been - Dejan Lovren
    Goal of the season? Phillips for QPR at Palace was an absolute thunderbolt, other than that Zamoras lob v West Brom. Scrap that, just remembered Jagielkas equaliser at Anfield.

ReputationRep:
    Player of the season? Eden Hazard
    Manager of the season? Alan Pardew
    Match of the season? Chelsea 6-3 Everton
    Pundit of the season? Gary Neville
    Football writer of the season? No idea

Signing of the season? Alexis Sanchez
    Flop of the season? Mario Balotelli
    Goal of the season? Sat behind Di Maria v Leicester, wow

And for your own club...
    Player of the season? Esteban Cambiasso
    Match of the season? 5-3 v United
    Signing of the season? Huth
    Flop of the season? Simpson/Upson
    Goal of the season? Nugent v Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    United will be back next season to claim their 14th title!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Matthew13)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Forgot about that one, actually. Largely because it was so early in the season. Great game of football - Everton's defending was so questionable. Worth watching just for the ongoing needle between Coleman and Costa alone.

ReputationRep:
    Player of the season? Hazard.
    Manager of the season? Pardew/ Koeman
    Match of the season? Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United
    Pundit of the season? Carragher.
    Football writer of the season? ?
    Signing of the season? tie between Montero Swans/ Tadic Soton
    Flop of the season? Falcao
    Goal of the season? Ayoze Perez vs West Brom

And for your own club...
    Player of the season? Philippe Coutinho.
    Match of the season? Liverpool vs Spurs 3-2
    Signing of the season? Alberto Moreno
    Flop of the season? Mario Balotelli, Adam Lallana
    Goal of the season? Philippe Coutinho vs. Manchester City
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ****. Forgot about Perez's goal at the Hawthorns, too. Great finish. Plymouth scored one similar the other night at Wycombe, albeit the cross didn't have as much pace.

ReputationRep:
    Player of the season? Eden Hazard
    Manager of the season? Mark Hughes
    Pundit of the season? Gary Neville
    Football writer of the season? Daniel Taylor - would agree with Mackay plus all of his columns are a must read for me.

Signing of the season? Diego Costa
    Flop of the season? Radamel Falcao
    Goal of the season? Mata's second vs. Liverpool

And for your own club...
    Player of the season? David De Gea
    Match of the season? 4-2 Man City
    Signing of the season? Marcos Rojo (not a great list to choose from but think he's settled and performed admirably)
    Flop of the season? Falcao
    Goal of the season? Mata's second vs. Liverpool
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Football writer of the season? Daniel Taylor - would agree with Mackay plus all of his columns are a must read for me.
    Anyone else you're a fan of? I like Henry Winter and the Guardian's Football Weekly bunch, and Sam Wallace from the Indy.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else you're a fan of? I like Henry Winter and the Guardian's Football Weekly bunch, and Sam Wallace from the Indy.
    Agree with those suggestions - but would add Jason Burt (Telegraph), Miguel Delaney (ESPN/freelance), Samuel Luckhurst (MEN), Amy Lawrence (Guardian - and she seems a lovely person as well) and the Paddy Barclay's not bad.

Follow a load of them on Twitter, must spend a good 20mins or so catching up on tweets I've missed! - sad lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Agree with those suggestions - but would add Jason Burt (Telegraph), Miguel Delaney (ESPN/freelance), Samuel Luckhurst (MEN), Amy Lawrence (Guardian - and she seems a lovely person as well) and the Paddy Barclay's not bad.

Follow a load of them on Twitter, must spend a good 20mins or so catching up on tweets I've missed! - sad lol
    Yeah, Burt's good. Basically the Telegraph's David Conn. I don't really like Barclay tbh. He's not on the same level of stupidity as Martin Samuel, though. Oaf of a man.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Burt's good. Basically the Telegraph's David Conn. I don't really like Barclay tbh. He's not on the same level of stupidity as Martin Samuel, though. Oaf of a man.
    The Guardian

Samuel and Barclay are the old fogies but prefer the latter more than the former. Oliver Holt's decent but you get some reporters from the red-tops on Sunday Supplement and you wonder how they made it as journalists - hardly add any incisive input
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Guardian

Samuel and Barclay are the old fogies but prefer the latter more than the former. Oliver Holt's decent but you get some reporters from the red-tops on Sunday Supplement and you wonder how they made it as journalists - hardly add any incisive input
    I meant he's the Telegraph's version of David Conn, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I meant he's the Telegraph's version of David Conn, haha.
    Ha, oh right, mis-read it. I wouldn't necessarily agree though - Conn's work is more varied and massively in-depth. Burt's opinion pieces are good and his gossip seems fairly precise at times.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ha, oh right, mis-read it. I wouldn't necessarily agree though - Conn's work is more varied and massively in-depth. Burt's opinion pieces are good and his gossip seems fairly precise at times.
    Conn isn't really a football writer, he gets a lot deeper and most invested in issues surrounding society as well. His Ched Evans coverage was brilliant copy.

ReputationRep:
    I think the biggest difference between this season and last season has been Chelsea.

Man City had a poor season by their recent standards, despite Aguero and Silva being as good as I've seen since they joined the club (including 2011/12). Between them they have 37 goals and 16 assists in the league. Comparing that to Chelsea's Costa and Hazard, who have 34 goals and 12 assists between them, (although Costa's injury must be taken into account) it is City's attack that looks more potent.

But whereas City's only performing forwards were Aguero and Silva, Chelsea had much greater depth to their squad, and players such as Remy, Willian, Oscar and Fabregas contributed much more going forward than the likes of Nasri, Navas, Dzeko, Jovetic et al. Chelsea's rock solid defence was obviously key as well. City's defence, on the other hand, seems to lack consistency and its something Pellegrini appears to have a problem with because since Mancini left their defence has never been the same.

Arsenal's good season has also been somewhat overshadowed by Chelsea. They could be in a strong position to mount a challenge next season. The same could be said of Man Utd but I still feel there are a lot of passengers in their squad.

Liverpool proving that Suarez is simply irreplaceable. Not sure how much longer Rodgers has. Spurs, okay - best thing about their season was Kane.

Southampton - story of the season. Had a great start, stumbled slightly but still a very good team who are capable of beating any team in the league on their day.

Swansea and Stoke are teams very much in the same mould. Decent top 10 teams who look comfortable against the weaker sides in the league, can compete with some of the better teams but obviously never going to be able to challenge the richest 5 or 6.

Everton have revived their season since going out of Europe. Can't help but feel their Europa League campaign harmed them domestically.

West Ham are comfortable with Allardyce in charge. He's a safe option for them and it would be unwise for them to get rid.

Pardew has done an excellent job at Crystal Palace. Question is whether he can sustain things because I wouldn't be too surprised to see them change their manager early next season (again).

West Brom - nothing much to say to be honest. Were never going down under Pulis.

Leicester City have been intriguing but I'm happy that they'll stay up. For all that can be said about their ostrich of a manager, he's done a great job with them and they are an exciting team. Results like the defeat of Man Utd right at the start of the season made people take notice of them. But they were really unlucky in some games, hence they propped up the table for much of the season. Their recent turn of form is a deserved reward because they have definitely not been among 3 of the worst teams this season.

Villa - don't like Sherwood but he's turned things around for them. Still an under achieving club all things considered.

No idea what to say about Sunderland. Okay some weeks, absolutely garbage other weeks. But it looks like they will stay up because every time its been looking bad for them they seem to wriggle clear with a lucky win or draw.

Newcastle have been atrocious in 2015, a mammoth slide, and to be honest you wouldn't say it was unjust if they did go down. Hull are also pretty piss poor so it's a toss up between those 2 for the last relegation spot.

Feel sorry for Burnley as it was always going to be very difficult for them to stay up, considering budgets and the rest. Dyche is still a very promising manager.

QPR's aging journeyman squad is their biggest problem. Seriously need to bring in some young players, and build a squad for the future in the premier league.

ReputationRep:
    Player of the season? David De Gea
    Manager of the season? Alan Pardew
    Match of the season? Atletico 0-0 Real - First Leg Champions League semi-final
    Pundit of the season? Gary Neville.
    Football writer of the season? ...
    Signing of the season? Costa
    Flop of the season? Angel Di Maria.
    Goal of the season? Di Maria's chip against Leicester

And for your own club...
    Player of the season? Darren Fletcher
    Match of the season? God knows! Albion don't do entertaining.
    Signing of the season? Darren Fletcher
    Flop of the season? Brown Ideye
    Goal of the season? God knows! None are immediately coming to mind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Match of the season? God knows! Albion don't do entertaining.
    The 4-0 against Burnley at the Hawthorns must be up there?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.