Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytaylou)
    nope, when we did a mock for history, we did an explain why and essay x 2 for unit 1 & unit 2, so things are all going good.

and i don't think it matters what you put - if theres different sources anywhere I doubt the exam board would pull you up for it
    well if its any help, the key things to remember for sources are really just to argue both sides in the 12 markers (so why you agree and disagree) not just the one side, and for both the 12 and 24 ensure you quote every source in the question, as you can't get the top grades without evidence from both for the 12 marker or all 3 for the 24 marker!

yeah I was told that it doesn't matter, but surely then I could make any old stats up :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benwick)
    well if its any help, the key things to remember for sources are really just to argue both sides in the 12 markers (so why you agree and disagree) not just the one side, and for both the 12 and 24 ensure you quote every source in the question, as you can't get the top grades without evidence from both for the 12 marker or all 3 for the 24 marker!

yeah I was told that it doesn't matter, but surely then I could make any old stats up :laugh:
    in the 12 markers - is your own knowledge required because one teacher told us that we didn't, we just needed to compare the sources and then one teacher told us we did! :/

ReputationRep:
    in the 12 markers - is your own knowledge required because one teacher told us that we didn't, we just needed to compare the sources and then one teacher told us we did! :/
    yes! definitely! not loads and loads just precise detail that supports your argument in each paragraph

ReputationRep:
    I find it really hard to get the contextual knowledge in on the source question 12 marker, I find it just never fits or comes out right... My teacher keeps on telling me to evaluate the sources using contextual knowledge but I dont really know how any tips?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_Rosie)
    I find it really hard to get the contextual knowledge in on the source question 12 marker, I find it just never fits or comes out right... My teacher keeps on telling me to evaluate the sources using contextual knowledge but I dont really know how any tips?!
    what she means is just expand on what the source is saying using your own knowledge, so if the source talks about the impact of the Montgomery Bus Boycott for example, you could explain the details of the event such as when, why, who, etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we did that question too... I separated it out into The Main Reason, Short Term and Trigger..

MR- Malcolm was dissapointed with Muhammad's refusal to let him risk his life with others in Birmingham 1963 and that Muhammad was reluctant to take part in Malcolm's "The Hate that Hate Produced' documentary.

ST- basically Muhammad was jealous of Malcolm because he was such a gifted speaker and he was so much more popular than him.

Trigger- Malcolm was dissapointed upon hearing about Muhammad fathering 8 daughters with his 6 secretaries as the NOI preached how to be a good father and also Malcolm had made unpopular and derogatory comments about JFK's assassination in 1963 saying that the "chickens have come home to roost" and he was suspended for 90 days from preaching.

ooh i have a copy of that txtbook! (:
    there was a question on a past exam that was like explain why malcom x left the nation of islam and i swear black power isnt really covered in that much detail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrietgh98)
    Yeah, we did that question too... I separated it out into The Main Reason, Short Term and Trigger..

MR- Malcolm was dissapointed with Muhammad's refusal to let him risk his life with others in Birmingham 1963 and that Muhammad was reluctant to take part in Malcolm's "The Hate that Hate Produced' documentary.

ST- basically Muhammad was jealous of Malcolm because he was such a gifted speaker and he was so much more popular than him.

Trigger- Malcolm was dissapointed upon hearing about Muhammad fathering 8 daughters with his 6 secretaries as the NOI preached how to be a good father and also Malcolm had made unpopular and derogatory comments about JFK's assassination in 1963 saying that the "chickens have come home to roost" and he was suspended for 90 days from preaching.
    thank you so much !

ReputationRep:
    i'm gonna do the old read the textbook the day before the exam and hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    best of luck guys! I hope its nice, unit 1 was quite nice except for Empson and Dudley (guessed it in the exam, got it right!) :P 3 of the 4 units will come up - any guess as to which unit will be excluded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitta)
    best of luck guys! I hope its nice, unit 1 was quite nice except for Empson and Dudley (guessed it in the exam, got it right!) :P 3 of the 4 units will come up - any guess as to which unit will be excluded?
    we haven't been taught the course in units and are expected to revise everything! hopefully nothing on NOI/black panthers cos I know zilch!

ReputationRep:
    best way to revise is practice papers that way you test youreself on what you already know, then what you dont know is what you revise.
    for the source based question my teacher thought selma, march of washington or chicago might come up because those three events are quite huge topics. on top of that selma came out this year really good movie i do recommend it. and last thing the 3rd 24 marker always has somethiing to do with the decline or advancement of the civil rights movement i'd suggest making two separate posters on that good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    So what are the predictions, there don't seem to be as many compared to the other unit

ReputationRep:
    In our revision guide we have a section about Truman and before the war, can that Come up?

ReputationRep:
    truman could come up but he did very little, he could be a contributing factor for another essay based on what he did between 1950 till 53 but the evidence is still very limited

ReputationRep:
    One history teacher thinks race riots will be featured on the exam in some way

ReputationRep:
    One history teacher thinks race riots will be featured on the exam in some way
    Shame I didn't see this until just now! What did everyone think? 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find exam hard ? What did you think of sources? I messed up first question and felt whole paper I answered too general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historymania)
    Anyone else find exam hard ? What did you think of sources? I messed up first question and felt whole paper I answered too general.
    Yeah, I didn't like the sources. Found them tricky to compare and struggled to incorporate A into the 24 marker! Which non-source questions did you do? I did 3 and 4 (Southern Manifesto and Democratic Party)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    didn't find it too bad! answered 5 and 6 myself, the sources were quite hard to use yeah, hopefully lower grade boundaries

good luck for your other exams everyone

ReputationRep:
    Hey maarj13 i did 5 and 6 and thought martin Luther king question was difficult too say he was the main influence during 56 to 60 but hey ho i tried my best would love to hear about you guys results later this summer

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.