Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie33)
    What was the Plath/Hughes qn that wasn't nature? I did it but I can't remember it aha (used insomniac, the stones, tender place and blue flannel suit)
    Someone above mentioned it. Darkest aspects of life apparently.

(Original post by Jadehall97)

Don't worry!! I didn't have enough time to finish my play either, tbh I think people have this problem every year so you won't be badly penelised!!

Tbh I was expecting worse but I was really annoyed that nature came up as I just don't like nature focused questions
    Let's hope! ://
    I like nature because you can basically bull about anything

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what the weighting of the exam is compared to coursework? Really worried about my exam now that I've spoken to my friends about it, didn't really get a chance to elaborate much in my drama piece

ReputationRep:
    It's 40% coursework 60% exam. Try not to worry though. I resat it this year, but last year I didn't finish the drama question and barely wrote about the second extract and ended up with ended up with a C in the exam, but even with a B in my coursework I got a B overall (admittedly it was a high B and a high C). If you know your coursework is in the top band then you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah__)
    It's 40% coursework 60% exam. Try not to worry though. I resat it this year, but last year I didn't finish the drama question and barely wrote about the second extract and ended up with ended up with a C in the exam, but even with a B in my coursework I got a B overall (admittedly it was a high B and a high C). If you know your coursework is in the top band then you should be fine.

Well ill I had full marks in the essay coursework then 4 marks off full with the creative writing and commentary combined so am I looking at like a B??

ReputationRep:
    For the Play, I forgot to do an alternative interpretation, how many marks alone will I lose for this?

ReputationRep:
    Well ill I had full marks in the essay coursework then 4 marks off full with the creative writing and commentary combined so am I looking at like a B??
    Depends what you got on the exam, using the grade boundaries last year if you got 76/80 UMS for your coursework then you'd need 84 UMS marks to get an A. Last year 84 UMS marks was equal to 41 raw marks, so it's still likely you could get an A overall!

ReputationRep:
    I did the question about the darker aspects of life for Plath and Hughes. I broke the paragraphs up into how they present Death (compared Death and Co view View of a Pig), Suffering (compared Cut and The Tender Place), and a little paragraph on Suicide (Suicide off Egg Rock) - just to make sure the essay was Plath-weighted. Was that a good thing to do?
    I concluded by talking about how both use dark aspects to make their poetry powerful - that the power of Plath comes from her intimate and personal engagement with these aspects, and Hughes' is also powerful due to the stark literal description from an outsider perspective. Also kind of criticized how Plath isn't "fearless" as it said in the quote, as she hides behind her imagery to escape having to describe the horrors of these aspects in the literal way that Hughes does...

And did anyone do Arcadia? I thought both questions were horrible. I ended up going for sexual relationships but it was a bit of a traincrash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdAbsurdum)
    I did the question about the darker aspects of life for Plath and Hughes. I broke the paragraphs up into how they present Death (compared Death and Co view View of a Pig), Suffering (compared Cut and The Tender Place), and a little paragraph on Suicide (Suicide off Egg Rock) - just to make sure the essay was Plath-weighted. Was that a good thing to do?
    Our teachers drummed into us how we had to use 4 poems and use the structure: Plath 1 / Plath1 & Hughes 1 / Plath 2 / Plath2 & Huges 2 so honestly I never even thought of including more than 4 and structuring it into themes like that. Seems like you wrote a lot though!

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get on the coursework?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nandosfood)
    Our teachers drummed into us how we had to use 4 poems and use the structure: Plath 1 / Plath1 & Hughes 1 / Plath 2 / Plath2 & Huges 2 so honestly I never even thought of including more than 4 and structuring it into themes like that. Seems like you wrote a lot though!
    Yeah, your way sounds right to be honest.. we weren't given much guidance at all regarding structure, they just assumed we could do it. I was pretty happy with the content of what I wrote though, so that's something

(Original post by simbasdragon)
    What did everyone get on the coursework?
    I got 68/80 overall, which I was very happy with. Hoping for a B overall

ReputationRep:
    So, I got 34 on the Text Study coursework and 37 on the Creative Writing - both A grades - so what kind of mark will I be needing in the exam for an A? Can I rest (relatively) easy?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it's this exam board?? The exam has already happened so do you have a different date??
    No, I have done this exam, just wondering what I'll probably need for an A given my coursework results is all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcbasilrocks)
    No, I have done this exam, just wondering what I'll probably need for an A given my coursework results is all
    Oh haha sorry well I got As on mine too and I asked my teacher and she said even with a b on the exam, I could still get an overall A

ReputationRep:
    Oh haha sorry well I got As on mine too and I asked my teacher and she said even with a b on the exam, I could still get an overall A
    Thanks, that's mildly relieving!

ReputationRep:
    Also, for anyone who did the Arcadia timeshift question, as there was only one timeshift in the extract, I sort of began reading around the topic as well as analysing that, so to speak, talking a little about how the two time periods are connected - will I get penalised, or indeed credited, for talking about anything not explicitly related to the minuscule body of text within the four-page extract that was actually relevant to the question? :P

ReputationRep:
    I did the social and political issues question too, and decided to write about MCMXIX (forgot the name of it, it's 1914), Sunny Prestatyn and Cousin Sidney, which at the time seemed fine but now I'm worried that they weren't the right poems to talk about😂

ReputationRep:
    Our teachers won't tell us our coursework grade and my exam went awfully AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.