Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedStar98)
    From the 'extract' bit about the fire I talked about short sentences, use of fear and mystery, then the panic when she realises. I compared it to the house fire scene in WSS. Then I talked about when she is hiding from John right at the beginning, and in WSS when Antoinette is bullied by the other children in the way to school. The last point I made was about when Jane thinks she is going to die when turned away from Moor House. I'm not sure if those were the best examples but I think they were pretty good
    They are good examples, as long as your structure was fluent and you micro-analysed the language and backed it up with quotes then you most likely did really well Wish you all the best for results day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    I loved the unseen poetry :love: (I did that, surprisingly...)
    And I also did Pride and Prejudice, The Yellow Wallpaper and the Here to Eternity anthology (Work) :yep:

Did you mix up different anthologies? I'm confused.

the second question asked you to start with one of three poems
    1) The chimney Sweeper
    2) View of a pig
    3) cant remember.
    in my school we learnt about both a view of a pig and the chimney sweeper. however, for the essay, I picked the chimney sweeper to start with, but there are two poems written by blake called the chimney sweeper, and one of them is about work, and another is in a different anthology altogether. im not sure which poem they were referring to, so I may have done the wrong one ?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Awh I'm sure you did fine :jumphug:

The first thing I did when I'd left my exam was to look it up :giggle:
    The more I look at it, the more I like it...

I spent far too long writing about it though, which messed up my timings for the later questions :cry2:
    Aww thank you I hope you did well too

I completely forgot about that, I guess i'm going to look up the analysis of the poem now :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewg1234)
    1) The chimney Sweeper
    2) View of a pig
    3) cant remember.
    in my school we learnt about both a view of a pig and the chimney sweeper. however, for the essay, I picked the chimney sweeper to start with, but there are two poems written by blake called the chimney sweeper, and one of them is about work, and another is in a different anthology altogether. im not sure which poem they were referring to, so I may have done the wrong one ?!
    Oh... I'm not sure which poem is in which anthology :dontknow:
    What other poem did you choose?
    I'm sure you'll be fine - they probably won't check (examiners don't have the time!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Oh... I'm not sure which poem is in which anthology :dontknow:
    What other poem did you choose?
    I'm sure you'll be fine - they probably won't check (examiners don't have the time!).
    I did chimney sweeper and solitary reaper !
    anyway thanks for your help, hopefully itll be okay
    good luck yourself

ReputationRep:
    1) The chimney Sweeper
    2) View of a pig
    3) cant remember.
    That was the same problem with my college
    - We studied the Oxford anthology collection and both poems are in the anthology, however in the brackets the anthology which the poem we should have analysed is View of a Pig. We went to ask one of our English teachers as if the comparison poem is not in the same anthology then it might not be marked, however our teacher (also a moderator of exams) claims that it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I did chimney sweeper and solitary reaper !
    anyway thanks for your help, hopefully itll be okay
    good luck yourself
    They are both in the same anthology so you are 100% fine

ReputationRep:
    How many pages did you write for Jane Eyre and for the poem comparison?

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing about that exam is that I had so much to write, but getting it all down in the time limit was nigh on impossible.

I ended up doing the question about stereotypical and commonplace views of home for the poems on Home (I chose Baby Song and Autobiography), and the question about desire for Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea. I wrote about 4 pages for each - I have big handwriting though!

I liked the unseen poem, but again I found that there was too much to write about - I'm awful at being selective with work and always try to get everything down (a big mistake in most cases )

I'm just relieved that it's over now :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubba_lou)
    I couldn't find a thread for this particular exam (6ET01), so I thought I would start one How are you revising for this? Is anyone else doing Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea? Do you think you'd go for poetry or prose in the unseen section?
    I studied Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea too, in my opinion I think the questions were rather horrible!? For the unseen I chose the poetry, for the poetry essay (we did home) I chose the thematic depth one and then for the Jane Eyre essay i chose the desire one. I managed just over 5 sides for the poetry essay and then 6 sides for Jane Eyre. It could have gone better but also could have been way worse. I did no revision at all for this exam, I', not really a believe in revision but for English I don't think there is much you can do, I also didn't read Jane Eyre, but I knew the story and themes so fingers crossed... How did you find it? Which questions did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubba_lou)
    The annoying thing about that exam is that I had so much to write, but getting it all down in the time limit was nigh on impossible.

I ended up doing the question about stereotypical and commonplace views of home for the poems on Home (I chose Baby Song and Autobiography), and the question about desire for Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea. I wrote about 4 pages for each - I have big handwriting though!

I liked the unseen poem, but again I found that there was too much to write about - I'm awful at being selective with work and always try to get everything down (a big mistake in most cases )

I'm just relieved that it's over now :cute:
    I too am relived that it is over, however I finished early by 5 mins. For the poetry essay I chose the other question on thematic depth which told you to use my father played the melodeon, and then I compared and contrasted the use and effect of the themes in that with those Mouse's Nest (nature), Piano (music) and The Ballad of Rudolph Reed (community). Our English teacher told us to compare at least three, but I added another in because my essay led me that way.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone remember the poet of the unseen poem, 'Progress'? As it's killing me that I can't remember his name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlenko)
    Hi, can anyone remember the poet of the unseen poem, 'Progress'? As it's killing me that I can't remember his name
    Osbert Sitwell :yep:

(I posted it on here earlier, if you're looking for it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlenko)
    I couldn't remember the title or poet after the exam (I actually don't think I even looked at them, whoops) but I remembered lines such as 'mammoth orange moths' and 'jewelled butterflies' so I googled those and found that it's by Osbert Sitwell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Awh I'm sure you did fine :jumphug:

The first thing I did when I'd left my exam was to look it up :giggle:
    The more I look at it, the more I like it...

I spent far too long writing about it though, which messed up my timings for the later questions :cry2:
    Yeah, I actually really like the poem too! Was quite sad that the second question wasn't imagery like it normally was; there was so much imagery to talk about! But I just talked about it in the 'c' question so that was ok. I was a bit thrown off by the fact that the 'b' question was 'language choices' though, because I wasn't sure how they wanted us to pick out two examples... :/

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what did you pick out as the themes of the unseen poem in Section A???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellownectarine)
    Guys, what did you pick out as the themes of the unseen poem in Section A???
    Ermmm... Death, Freedom, Nature?
    I made a little plan of loads of ideas and can't remember which I actually wrote about :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Ermmm... Death, Freedom, Nature?
    I made a little plan of loads of ideas and can't remember which I actually wrote about :lol:
    Ah yeah, that sounds similar to what my friend wrote about. I literally just picked out one theme which I thought was the main one (loss of childhood innocence due to corruption by society) and stated it at the beginning of my answer, and then talked about techniques used to create just that one theme... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellownectarine)
    Ah yeah, that sounds similar to what my friend wrote about. I literally just picked out one theme which I thought was the main one (loss of childhood innocence due to corruption by society) and stated it at the beginning of my answer, and then talked about techniques used to create just that one theme... :/
    Ooooh, interesting - you read the poem in a completely different light to me :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Ooooh, interesting - you read the poem in a completely different light to me :yep:
    Hmm, hope it's a valid theme though!! Yeah, it's really interesting comparing answers after an English exam, because people can interpret things so differently - like the unseen poem, or even some essay questions. Loads of us at my school did the 'Home' question in Section B which said 'Poems about home often try to avoid the stereotypical and commonplace...but fail' and we all defined and tackled the question differently!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.