Turn on thread page Beta

No uni this year because i'm a ****. Fourth attempt at college. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for replying, yes it is painful and i think i will lose the plot soon.

Should i stay or should i go, i know im changing the thread a little but I can't take my firm choice university bribing me by emailing me the 'wonderful opportunites and fun you see when you join us' WHEN I'M NOT EVEN SURE IF I CAN MAKE IT INTO FIRM CHOICE :cry2:. Haven't even done student finance because of uncertainty that i will make it to pass the course
    Aw no worries.
    Also in regards to the comments you'd added into my OP quote, you can make it in certain fields without a degree. And even many grads end up unable to get jobs especially in their given field. I do think you're overemphasising the importance. But in the case that you want to be a teacher, even if it takes you another year, you'll still achieve your dream one day albeit a year later than you'd like. Following your dream is much better than doing something you hate!

Also the situation with your tutor seems a bit crappy. I wonder if it's worth going back to the college and complaining more because as a student in any institution you're entitled to certain standards and levels of treatment and it seems almost as if they've neglected you!!

I wonder if it's worth firming and applying for finance just in case, you never know you may just surprise yourself! Also if you don't firm you could try through clearance as it's first come first serve to fill up the spaces.
    Otherwise my advice to you would be take the summer to work on your innerself and forget college and uni for now. This worry is detrimental to your health, and without your health you never know how far you'll make it. Also, if you're wanting to absolutely ace the next year, have concentration levels and motivation I'd perhaps even suggest taking a year out for yourself, build yourself up and then get your head down. And don't worry about age when starting uni, you'll find people of all ages in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year! You just have to worry about yourself and your happiness and passion & screw what everyone else thinks tbh.

I have decided that i will continue with this course despite a 95% chance i will fail the whole course.

I can not stay in this family next year as the bullying is going to get me sectioned. And i also can not continue not having a life. Uni is where my life will change and when i do become powerful, i will laugh at everyone who laughed and called me a *******.

Please help me, i know its impossible but I HAVE TO LEAVE.

ReputationRep:
    I have decided that i will continue with this course despite a 95% chance i will fail the whole course.

I can not stay in this family next year as the bullying is going to get me sectioned. And i also can not continue not having a life. Uni is where my life will change and when i do become powerful, i will laugh at everyone who laughed and called me a *******.

bro only thing i could suggest is probaly doing an access course at a different college just put your'e head down and work hard then you're off to uni remember you're still only 19 and have you're entire life ahead of you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer

Your funding will run out soon and you'll have to start contributing towards your courses so you need to get a wriggle on.

Break your work down unit by unit. Concentrate on getting one part done and hand it in to be checked. While that's happening work on the next part. Revision guides are all over the place. You can do this if you really want it and you just need to accept that it's possible you can pass if you try. I know procrastination is the worst so find what motivates you. I got around depression based procrastination with little rewards and just remembering that I need to work my socks off to get away from home.

I was in the same position. They said I'd fail my course and I came out with the highest possible grades. It's possible. PM me if you need a bit of guidance with things

Anon here because my situation is somewhat similar in that it is hella embarrassing to talk about.

Don't give up on that dream of yours. I've dropped out of college four times before the course I'm currently on, mostly due to continual depression and anxiety flare-ups, along with family problems, etc.

The thing that you absolutely need to do is find a way of dealing with your depression if you're not coping. Your GP can offer you more help than just simply prescribing antidepressants, so you should definitely consider some kind of counselling or behavioural therapies if it's at all possible -- I found that they've helped me quite a bit.

My only worry for you, anon, is that your mental health problems might need addressing -- because if they're here now, they'll likely STILL be there in some way, shape or form at uni regardless of whether or not you leave your family behind... And you don't want to flunk out of your dream course! People with depression sometimes struggle with it on and off during the course of their lives -- sometimes without any reason or warning, and you don't want it to spring up on you when you least expect it!

It helped a bit when I moved out from my home and started supporting myself, as a lot of my problems stemmed from a toxic situation with the family members I lived with and I thought moving away would fix it. However, the issues with feeling low persisted because depression is an awful, life-sucking beast like that. I felt like a failure because my peers were all graduating and being successful, but I couldn't even manage to pass a college course or cope with my work, and it all just spiraled downwards from there. Everything was pretty much hopeless and I thought that I was total scum of the earth.

My situation came to a climax in Feburary 2014, when I was on the brink of killing myself partly due to my own negativity and I think partly due to some of the new medication I was on. I'd already pretty much abandoned my coursework, had three months off, also got fired from my job for being away on sick too long despite having a doctor's note (in hindsight I realise what a scummy thing that was to do on the part of my employer, possibly even illegal. :mad: The reason they used was 'poor communication' during my illness -- of course I wasn't able to communicate, some days I couldn't even bear to leave my bed, let alone email them constantly!) and fell into rent arrears and debt. I was just crying out for some kind of help, so I called a family member, broke down and went to my nearest hospital to get help.

I spoke to one of my previous tutors and applied for a one year course (a foundation) that started for the next September and would eventually get me to uni. This was all on the basis that if I was still struggling by the time the course started, I'd not do the course at all -- have the year off to recover instead. I used the summer period to pick myself back up and work with my doctor to find a treatment that worked for me. My previous experience and studies helped me get there, since the course itself is between a level 3 and level 4.

I feel like I couldn't have done this without the support from my tutors - they've been great at welcoming me back and encouraging me along the path to success, whilst making sure that my well-being is well taken care of. If you end up going back to a college (or even get to uni!) you'd do well to inform your next tutors of your issues right at the start so that you can get in touch with student services for help and be supported every step of the way. Please don't suffer in silence!

Only when I was recovered and stable did I dare go back to college for a fresh start, as I realised that piling all of that work and pressure upon myself whilst still ill was just turning it all into an endless cycle. Luckily, I found that I'd perked up by the time September rolled around, but it could have very well taken far longer considering how bad I was and how long my illness had haunted me.

Right now I'm 23 years old, in my last few weeks of this year, and I've got offers from several unis and I'm predicted awesome grades. This year has been a blast and I've been far more able to focus and get my head down. I'm coming close to almost a year of feeling like myself again, and honestly I've never felt this good in my life. I just thought I'd share my story to show you that you're not alone in this situation, and it IS possible to get back on the right track.

I'd say that you take care of your mental health first and foremost, like the other poster said, but that's really your choice to make. I'm not here to push you into anything, but to share my own experiences of suffering something similar, and how I resolved it.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2015
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.