Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did it by getting the equation for the segment via the equation and taking the angle of the sector as pi/3, I then took 2(segment) and 2(sector) away from the area of the semi circle to find the shaded area. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Firstly, AB=r is incorrect.

I think you're assuming that unshaded region ABO is a sector when it isn't. A sector is enlosed by one arc and two radii. This region is enclosed by one radius and two arcs.
    Surely AB is equal to r? The circle centre A has the same radius as the circle centre O, and B is a point on the circle centre A?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AG98)
    But OB is the arc of circle radius r centre A, so AB is a radius = r?
    Sorry - my mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG98)
    But OB is the arc of circle radius r centre A, so AB is a radius = r?
    You don't need to know AB for any of the calculations though. The area of the segments and sectors can be found with the radius R and the angle pi/3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizard54142)
    Surely AB is equal to r? The circle centre A has the same radius as the circle centre O, and B is a point on the circle centre A?
    That's what I thought :confused:

But I've clearly gone wrong somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terminatoring)
    If may not be AQA but that doesn't mean it's any less important or valuable.
    The thing about maths is we're all equal, regardless of the exam board the maths remains the same.

That's why i think you should help me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, MEI OCR is 10x harder than Edexcel, other than that I don't know enough to comment. But Edexcel is so boringly easy it's unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG98)
    That's what I thought :confused:

But I've clearly gone wrong somewhere
    You're correct, no worries

ReputationRep:
    Someone's jumping straight to the mark scheme
    Hahaha:happy2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe12345marc)
    Nah, MEI OCR is 10x harder than Edexcel, other than that I don't know enough to comment. But Edexcel is so boringly easy it's unfair.
    It's easy to say that when you aren't studying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    It's easy to say that when you aren't studying it.
    Do a June 2014 M2 paper in both, mark it and come back to me and try persuade me that Edexcel is harder :P
    Nah seriously, MEI OCR just tricks people, it's horrible. Edexcel is more focused on your understanding, which is way easier than understanding attempts to catch you out.

ReputationRep:
    You're correct, no worries
    But I still don't get why there's a factor of (3sqrt3 - pi) instead of just (pi), as I wrote in my attempted solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG98)
    But I still don't get why there's a factor of (3sqrt3 - pi) instead of just (pi), as I wrote in my attempted solution
    Scroll up and look at the working out that I linked. Pi is not a factor of everything because in order to find the area of the segment you need to find the area of a triangle (which does not contain pi in the calculation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG98)
    I think you're assuming that unshaded region ABO is a sector when it isn't. A sector is enlosed by one arc and two radii. This region is enclosed by one radius and two arcs.
    What notnek said here! AOB as it is, is not a sector. It is the sector described by the lines OA and OB, and the segment described by the line OB and the arc OB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    Did this question earlier today. Here is my working, if you still don't understand tell me.

Attachment 398759
    This was very helpful, thanks a lot

Btw - is that a different equation for the segment? (As opposed to the theta - sintheta one)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - my mistake.
    Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Consider the line OC, this gives a sector of the circle, you can work out this area easily. You're then left with the segment of arc OC and line OC. Then draw the line OD, notice you have an equilateral triangle OCD. You can work out this area, and then the area of the segment from this, etc... repeat similarly for AOB!

EDIT: Beaten to it by two people! Gosh I should I typed quicker
    Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem. Did you get there in the end?

ReputationRep:
    This was very helpful, thanks a lot

Btw - is that a different equation for the segment? (As opposed to the theta - sintheta one)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The equation I used was Segment = Sector - Triangle (inside the sector)

ReputationRep:
    What notnek said here! AOB as it is, is not a sector. It is the sector described by the lines OA and OB, and the segment described by the line OB and the arc OB.
    I'm probably being extremely dumb here, so sorry for that

But I still don't get why you can't just get the area of half the circle and take away the areas outlined in red here:

I understand that you could work out the area of the triangle OCB and take away the unshaded segments, but that just seems like a more complicated way of doing it, and while it does work, I still don't understand why the original way I did it was wrong
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AG98)
    I'm probably being extremely dumb here, so sorry for that

But I still don't get why you can't just get the area of half the circle and take away the areas outlined in red here:

I understand that you could work out the area of the triangle OCB and take away the unshaded segments, but that just seems like a more complicated way of doing it, and while it does work, I still don't understand why the original way I did it was wrong
    You can take away the areas in red. But what are these areas?

They're not sectors...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.